"African American"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2012, 02:15 PM
"African American"
What is your opinion of this "politically correct" verbiage?

From my personal experience, most black people prefer to be called "black" over "African American".

I personally think that the term is silly and brings segregation and racism further in the spotlight. Skin color should only be used as descriptive adjective such as "tall" or "thin". I don't think skin color should ever be used as an identifier.

Americans are Americans. Some are black... some are white... some are brown... some are yellow... some are red.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
08-02-2012, 02:18 PM
RE: "African American"
It might annoy me personally if people called me african american, especially if my lineage wasn't from africa at all. Or if I were say... canadian like a champ.
I do have "african american" genes in me somewhere, but I don't know where the line comes from. My great grandfather was black irish... in a time when that wasn't exactly .... cool.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2012, 02:21 PM
If you were born in Africa and are now an American citizen then you are African American. If you are a black person born in America then you are American.

/thread

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
08-02-2012, 02:22 PM
I hate all that "politically correct" stuff. Don't say this, don't use that word, bla bla bla
"African American" sounds ridiculus and does not fit for every black person in America. Who cares about what continent your ancestors came from, you are living now and here and hopefully you are a useful member of society.

But I have to say, that I would use skin color as descriptor in some cases. When I am looking for a person and I say, something like "I am looking for the tall, black woman, with a green dress" because when there are many people at a place, you might have to vague descriptors apart from that. Maybe there is a chinese and a italian woman in the same building who also wear a green dress that day. Get where I'm going?
But I would not be like "all black people love basketball" because that's not true and a stupid assumption. I wouldn't even go so far to say "My neighbour, the black guy...." because that's ignorant, who cares about his skin color, he is my neighbour.
It's always the intention you use a word.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
08-02-2012, 02:27 PM
I've often wondered what people of color are called in other countries.
Are there African Canadians? African Scots? African Jamaicans?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-02-2012, 02:54 PM
(08-02-2012 02:27 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I've often wondered what people of color are called in other countries.
Are there African Canadians? African Scots? African Jamaicans?

Nope. Only the US perpetuates this ridiculous race war.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
08-02-2012, 03:13 PM
I always thought the term was rather silly.

I found it it comes from a real cool poem from the 80s pointing out the I-CAN at the end of the terms he sees as his heritage. African and American of course and then it got jumbled and people like Jesse Jackson decided they should use it to unite.

Two reasons it always bothered me though were the idea of having your ancestors heritage describe what you are... My father came from Italy but I'm not an Italian American like him. The other is the case of bizarre levels with American citizens from African nations. I have a friend from Ghana but nobody calls him Ghanan-American or African-America.
08-02-2012, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2012 03:22 PM by N.E.OhioAtheist.)
What if you are Cuban then what are you? I am 1/2 Cuban so is that Black or Cuban brown or person of color. I too hate all this political correct BS I really don't like to be called Hispanic. It's like they grouped every country that speaks Spanish in one thing and we are all one race of people.
[+] 1 user Likes N.E.OhioAtheist's post
08-02-2012, 03:26 PM
(08-02-2012 03:17 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  What if you are Cuban then what are you? I am 1/2 Cuban so is that Black or Cuban brown or person of color. I too hate all this political correct BS I really don't like to be called Hispanic. It's like they grouped every country that speaks Spanish in one thing and we are all one race of people.

What I find shocking is I thought everyone in Ohio was white!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
08-02-2012, 04:06 PM
(08-02-2012 03:26 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(08-02-2012 03:17 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  What if you are Cuban then what are you? I am 1/2 Cuban so is that Black or Cuban brown or person of color. I too hate all this political correct BS I really don't like to be called Hispanic. It's like they grouped every country that speaks Spanish in one thing and we are all one race of people.

What I find shocking is I thought everyone in Ohio was white!

Man, you gotta get out more.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]