African magic(k) beliefs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 12:35 PM
African magic(k) beliefs
Ok so there are some really wild beliefs that my people have. I'll talk of some of the weird ones.

Sacrificing the life of one of your family members to gain wealth. It has to be someone in your immediate family or else it won't work. You have to deliver whatever body part the "witch doctor" says. Then the rest is unknown because we don't know what happens after that. But apparently the person who went through the whole thing gets rich. However you have to keep doing a ritual like slaughter a goat every so often to appease the forces that get you the wealth. If you don't then bad things will start happening to you. These bad things can be anything that's just gonna fuck your shit up to death. Whenever these things get discussed everyone always switches to a serious face.

Then there's the people from the north east. People would swear on their own heads that they've seen people flying using items ranging from spoons to loaves of bread. My one friend told me that there are people that can go invisible. They're witches and they go about their business naked. They can enter your house through your key hole so forget your security solutions. Another thing I've heard was lightning in a plastic bag.

The same friend also told me about how a person in their community lost all his crops because there was some issue with someone. So the perp is believed to have sent a black cloud during clear blue cloudless skies to the victims yard. The cloud hovered over the crops and emitted lightning. After the strange meteorological event there were no crops. It's believed the perp used the cloud to steal the crops.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2014, 01:01 PM
RE: African magic(k) beliefs
Then there are the bewitchings. Someone puts something in your yard and your whole life falls apart. Or a mentally stable person suddenly becomes mentally ill. I usually ask the question, if these people have such power why don't they use it to gain for themselves. The answer I get is that these powers are designed to harm others. So witch doctors claim that they can make you win the lottery. I asked why doesn't he win it himself? The answer was because these powers are supposed to be used for others' benefits. People are supposed to help each other.

Now unfortunately things like the wealth bringing ritual can't be tested. The others can but no one's gonna volunteer. James Randi's foundation doesn't come this side.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
02-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Blackmason,some of these are also happening here. A lot of the african tradition came here with the slaves.now i really think these "sjamans" are just money hungry bastards feeding of the uneducated and poor

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
02-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Fun things:
my dad puts food and rum every week in the backyard to "keep ancestors happy". And my dad puts a cigar,some candy,some sirup,beer ,drinks and other crap to "keep the spirits that protect the family happy"

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
02-01-2014, 10:16 PM
I believe its called "winti culture" here,not magick

03-01-2014, 05:27 AM
(02-01-2014 12:35 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  Ok so there are some really wild beliefs that my people have. I'll talk of some of the weird ones.

Sacrificing the life of one of your family members to gain wealth. It has to be someone in your immediate family or else it won't work. You have to deliver whatever body part the "witch doctor" says. Then the rest is unknown because we don't know what happens after that. But apparently the person who went through the whole thing gets rich. However you have to keep doing a ritual like slaughter a goat every so often to appease the forces that get you the wealth. If you don't then bad things will start happening to you. These bad things can be anything that's just gonna fuck your shit up to death. Whenever these things get discussed everyone always switches to a serious face.

Then there's the people from the north east. People would swear on their own heads that they've seen people flying using items ranging from spoons to loaves of bread. My one friend told me that there are people that can go invisible. They're witches and they go about their business naked. They can enter your house through your key hole so forget your security solutions. Another thing I've heard was lightning in a plastic bag.

The same friend also told me about how a person in their community lost all his crops because there was some issue with someone. So the perp is believed to have sent a black cloud during clear blue cloudless skies to the victims yard. The cloud hovered over the crops and emitted lightning. After the strange meteorological event there were no crops. It's believed the perp used the cloud to steal the crops.

(02-01-2014 01:01 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  Then there are the bewitchings. Someone puts something in your yard and your whole life falls apart. Or a mentally stable person suddenly becomes mentally ill. I usually ask the question, if these people have such power why don't they use it to gain for themselves. The answer I get is that these powers are designed to harm others. So witch doctors claim that they can make you win the lottery. I asked why doesn't he win it himself? The answer was because these powers are supposed to be used for others' benefits. People are supposed to help each other.

Now unfortunately things like the wealth bringing ritual can't be tested. The others can but no one's gonna volunteer. James Randi's foundation doesn't come this side.

(02-01-2014 10:15 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Fun things:
my dad puts food and rum every week in the backyard to "keep ancestors happy". And my dad puts a cigar,some candy,some sirup,beer ,drinks and other crap to "keep the spirits that protect the family happy"

In response to all these things: Bitches be crazy.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
03-01-2014, 06:46 AM
None of these differ in any discernible way from Mormon, Christian, or Muslim thinking. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2014, 07:23 AM
(03-01-2014 06:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  None of these differ in any discernible way from Mormon, Christian, or Muslim thinking. Drinking Beverage

I maintain: The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
03-01-2014, 07:27 AM
(02-01-2014 01:01 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  Then there are the bewitchings. Someone puts something in your yard and your whole life falls apart. Or a mentally stable person suddenly becomes mentally ill. I usually ask the question, if these people have such power why don't they use it to gain for themselves. The answer I get is that these powers are designed to harm others. So witch doctors claim that they can make you win the lottery. I asked why doesn't he win it himself? The answer was because these powers are supposed to be used for others' benefits. People are supposed to help each other.

General rule of thumb (most secs) is that you don't do magic for personal gain. And if you do it will likely backfire. I think it was a superstition (same as any other really) set upon to keep the magical practitioner humble and leaning towards doing works only for others. But that's only my theory. No real evidence exists to explain the superstition.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
03-01-2014, 09:13 AM
(02-01-2014 10:16 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  I believe its called "winti culture" here,not magick

You wouldn't be able to get your tongue around what we call it so I went with magick. Anyway, yeah we got that leaving food out and stuff too. We be some crazy folk.

[+] 1 user Likes BlackMason's post