After about a five year absence, I have returned.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2015, 02:22 PM
RE: After about a five year absence, I have returned.
If you rightfully know you don't need to be a Catholic, what makes you think you need Buddhism either?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2015, 03:06 PM
Nags! Smile
Good to know you are still out there, trying shit out.

Ha- I recall the day you leaped into your atheist shoes and went off to explore the world. Crazy days, huh?

From what you've written here little I've read here, Dodgy sounds as if you've looked into a bit of Alan Watts, maybe? He's cool... but, if you meet the Buddha in the road, you'd still be advised to kill him.

Just sayin'.

Good to have you back. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
17-05-2015, 08:40 PM
To those asking who be I:

Am a shit disturbing LGBT Christian Atheist, Religious Naturalist, Polyamorist, Ninja-Bible-Scholar-turned-Blues musician. Name's Mike, pleased to meet ya!
17-05-2015, 08:51 PM
(17-05-2015 02:22 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  If you rightfully know you don't need to be a Catholic, what makes you think you need Buddhism either?

I find Buddhist principles involving a middle way as well as learning to let go of things in life and learning to adapt and go with the flow of things to be incredibly helpful to me. I am still exploring Buddhism, and, as with Jesus' teachings, there are things I disagree with (reincarnation and karma, although I firmly believe that actions do indeed have consequences, so in a vague sort of way I guess the sentiment conveyed by karma is true for me?). I am just slowly figuring out which aspects of Jesus' and Buddha's teachings make sense to me and how I can apply them to my life.

I do however think I need religious ritual, as I think I'm hard wired to be religious, and I think evolutionary science has discovered something to this effect as being present genetically in humans, or at least i read something recently stating that sentiment. Perhaps someone can help clarify where I'm getting this idea from?

I see nothing wrong with constructing religious rituals based on science, reason, evolution, naturalism etc as a way of deriving meaning from my experience of the universe around me and expressing my thanks for being alive and being apart of something much grander.
17-05-2015, 08:53 PM
(17-05-2015 03:06 PM)kim Wrote:  Nags! Smile
Good to know you are still out there, trying shit out.

Ha- I recall the day you leaped into your atheist shoes and went off to explore the world. Crazy days, huh?

From what you've written here little I've read here, Dodgy sounds as if you've looked into a bit of Alan Watts, maybe? He's cool... but, if you meet the Buddha in the road, you'd still be advised to kill him.

Just sayin'.

Good to have you back. Shy

Never heard of him. Who is he and how might he be helpful/awesome?
17-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Hah! Nice to see you back Nagoda.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
17-05-2015, 10:02 PM
(17-05-2015 08:53 PM)Nagoda Wrote:  Never heard of him. Who is he and how might he be helpful/awesome?

Never heard of Alan Watts? That's weird. Dodgy

Masters in theology, doctor of divinity, walked away from all of it.

I guess I'd suggest The Book and probably This Is It possibly a dozen more.

Maybe ... http://www.brainpickings.org/tag/alan-watts/

You've heard of Google, right? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein