After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2013, 11:16 AM
RE: After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists
(09-09-2013 04:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(09-09-2013 04:33 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I agree and have had the same thought before. There is no way any being could possibly be powerful enough to create the entire universe.
Respectfully, your statement is an error in thinking. A flea does not have the ability to comprehend a human beings ability to create a computer. That is the axiom you are arguing against.
A flea is to a computer as I am to a skyscraper. Not the same axiom at all. Plus, anything else you could mention is inside the universe. The universe is the container. There may or may not be an outside to the universe - we don't know - but if there isn't, there would be nothing even possibly comparable.

Finally, consider the reverse. If there is a god who created the universe and everything in it, that means the god even created all the microscopic organisms. A being powerful enough to create something the size of the universe would likely be bigger than the universe or at least comparably huge. In terms of size, that would be like you trying to create something that is some enormous exponent times smaller than bacteria. With what tools? With what hands? How could you even see what you were working on creating? And please don't reply "he can because he's god" because it won't even begin to convince me.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2013, 02:18 PM
RE: After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists
(12-09-2013 11:16 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(09-09-2013 04:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, your statement is an error in thinking. A flea does not have the ability to comprehend a human beings ability to create a computer. That is the axiom you are arguing against.
A flea is to a computer as I am to a skyscraper. Not the same axiom at all. Plus, anything else you could mention is inside the universe. The universe is the container. There may or may not be an outside to the universe - we don't know - but if there isn't, there would be nothing even possibly comparable.

Finally, consider the reverse. If there is a god who created the universe and everything in it, that means the god even created all the microscopic organisms. A being powerful enough to create something the size of the universe would likely be bigger than the universe or at least comparably huge. In terms of size, that would be like you trying to create something that is some enormous exponent times smaller than bacteria. With what tools? With what hands? How could you even see what you were working on creating? And please don't reply "he can because he's god" because it won't even begin to convince me.
Indeed that would be an unfulfilling response to simply say He can because He's God. Nonetheless I am not exactly trying to convince you of anything. I don't know the mechanics of how God would create a universe. The bible simply says by faith all things were created. By a simple let it be so. Of course thanks to Einstein, we know that energy is what matter is comprised of. How energy is formed into matter is still an ongoing theoretical study. My only point is only to say we can't put limits on what God can or can't do .

I agree with you, we are tiny in comparison to the universe, hardly a speck. Size really isn't the issue here in my view. Consider that all computer code is simply 0's and 1's, and yet vast complex calculations can be carried out with just a simple binary system. Even so, the same building blocks of DNA in mankind are found in microscopic animals. So I am pretty sure it is beyond our pay grade to say God can't exist simply because the universe is too big or complex . If God is eternal then the entire universe and all that is in it may be a speck from some other perspective.
12-09-2013, 02:56 PM
(12-09-2013 02:18 PM)childeye Wrote:  I agree with you, we are tiny in comparison to the universe, hardly a speck. Size really isn't the issue here in my view. Consider that all computer code is simply 0's and 1's, and yet vast complex calculations can be carried out with just a simple binary system. Even so, the same building blocks of DNA in mankind are found in microscopic animals. So I am pretty sure it is beyond our pay grade to say God can't exist simply because the universe is too big or complex . If God is eternal then the entire universe and all that is in it may be a speck from some other perspective.

On the scale of the universe, an electron is hardly a speck. A human being is above average in size.
12-09-2013, 02:57 PM
(12-09-2013 02:18 PM)childeye Wrote:  Of course thanks to Einstein, we know that energy is what matter is comprised of. How energy is formed into matter is still an ongoing theoretical study.

No.

Just no.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
12-09-2013, 03:06 PM
(12-09-2013 02:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 02:18 PM)childeye Wrote:  Of course thanks to Einstein, we know that energy is what matter is comprised of. How energy is formed into matter is still an ongoing theoretical study.

No.

Just no.
Einstein's theory of relativity and the equation E=MC2. Now what have I said wrong?
12-09-2013, 03:08 PM
(12-09-2013 03:06 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 02:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  No.

Just no.
Einstein's theory of relativity and the equation E=MC2. Now what have I said wrong?

Energy (potential force) = Mass times the Constant of the speed of light Squared. Not Mass is made of energy.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
12-09-2013, 03:14 PM
(12-09-2013 03:06 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 02:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  No.

Just no.

Energy and mass are interrelated properties of observable interaction.

To say one comprises the other is a misunderstanding.

... this is my signature!
12-09-2013, 03:16 PM
(12-09-2013 03:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 03:06 PM)childeye Wrote:  Einstein's theory of relativity and the equation E=MC2. Now what have I said wrong?

Energy (potential force) = Mass times the Constant of the speed of light Squared. Not Mass is made of energy.
Did I say mass is made of energy? I meant matter.
12-09-2013, 03:19 PM
(12-09-2013 03:16 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 03:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Energy (potential force) = Mass times the Constant of the speed of light Squared. Not Mass is made of energy.
Did I say mass is made of energy? I meant matter.

Actually that was a typo on my part I meant not Matter is made of energy.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
12-09-2013, 03:23 PM
(12-09-2013 03:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 03:16 PM)childeye Wrote:  Did I say mass is made of energy? I meant matter.

Actually that was a typo on my part I meant not Matter is made of energy.
I still don't get it. Why again was matter not formed from energy?