After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2013, 03:31 PM
RE: After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists
(12-09-2013 06:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 04:02 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Was that copypasta or did you write all that out yourself?

And when are we going to get a new one from 'phil'? I need my greek-loving fix!

I spent time to play, stop, replay, edit, and transcribe the whole thing myself. Took me about half an hour.

Bravo, sir! Bravo.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-09-2013, 05:22 PM
RE: After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists
(15-09-2013 07:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(14-09-2013 07:23 PM)theword Wrote:  Why don't you just admit that after viewing a scale of anything you would find it impossible that God exists.
I find it interesting that as much as atheists put down the Bible, they actually have no clue- at all. The Bible says (and I know you phi beta atheists could care less) that the earth will be destroyed and pass away. I also realize that you atheists are science buffs and know that that is impossible,. Heck, even nuclear weapons could not destroy the earth, right? The earth could never run out of oxygen, right? The sun, all be it, millions of years from now could never lose strength to give the earth the energy it needs to survive.
Here is where you have another ignorant atheistic argument. The earth is destined for failure. From nuclear war or just attrition, it is gone.
So, now ask the question: How could a God exist if the earth is so small on a grand scale?
I love you people... honestly I do, you are so special!

The Earth will be destroyed, and we won't even need a god or ourselves to do it. About 1.1 billion years from now the luminosity from the Sun will be about 10% higher than it currently is, leading to a 'moist greenhouse' and the runaway evaporation of the oceans. After that happens, then most likely plate tectonics will end, resulting in the possible end of the planet's magnetic dynamo; this in turn would lead to the decay of the magnetosphere and the eventual lose of the upper atmosphere to solar winds. 4 billion years from now the Earth will be in a state of runway greenhouse effect, resulting in the extinction of almost all life on the surface. 7.5 billion years from now will see the planet engulfed by the corona of our Sun as it expands during it's change from a main sequence star into a red giant. No god required to end the world, just letting the laws of nature continue along their paths will accomplish the end of the world all on it's own; just not on any remotely human time scale.

As to the OP, the point is that for everything to play out as the Bible describes it, the only thing that is needed is one planet. Even assuming that god wanted to create light and warmth from us through nuclear fusion instead of just making them rain down out of the sky, he still only needs one star. For good and evil to play out, for Jesus to complete his mission of cosmic scapegoating, that's all that's needed. Everything beyond the Earth and the Sun is simple window dressing. Every star beyond our Sun is an argument against the Earth-centered religions, like the monotheism offshoots of Abraham. Two suns would make the atheists argument stronger, but not by much. Three suns would help a little more. The current estimated number of stars in the observable universe is over 1 septillion. That's 10^24, or a 1 with 24 zeros behind it (1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000); and that's just the observable universe.

So now that whole six days to create the Earth looks silly against creating 10^24+ stars in a single afternoon... Drinking Beverage
It's good we agree on the Earth not lasting forever. Which nullifies the posters claim that there can be no God because of the Earth's stature.
16-09-2013, 05:25 PM
(16-09-2013 05:22 PM)theword Wrote:  
(15-09-2013 07:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The Earth will be destroyed, and we won't even need a god or ourselves to do it. About 1.1 billion years from now the luminosity from the Sun will be about 10% higher than it currently is, leading to a 'moist greenhouse' and the runaway evaporation of the oceans. After that happens, then most likely plate tectonics will end, resulting in the possible end of the planet's magnetic dynamo; this in turn would lead to the decay of the magnetosphere and the eventual lose of the upper atmosphere to solar winds. 4 billion years from now the Earth will be in a state of runway greenhouse effect, resulting in the extinction of almost all life on the surface. 7.5 billion years from now will see the planet engulfed by the corona of our Sun as it expands during it's change from a main sequence star into a red giant. No god required to end the world, just letting the laws of nature continue along their paths will accomplish the end of the world all on it's own; just not on any remotely human time scale.

As to the OP, the point is that for everything to play out as the Bible describes it, the only thing that is needed is one planet. Even assuming that god wanted to create light and warmth from us through nuclear fusion instead of just making them rain down out of the sky, he still only needs one star. For good and evil to play out, for Jesus to complete his mission of cosmic scapegoating, that's all that's needed. Everything beyond the Earth and the Sun is simple window dressing. Every star beyond our Sun is an argument against the Earth-centered religions, like the monotheism offshoots of Abraham. Two suns would make the atheists argument stronger, but not by much. Three suns would help a little more. The current estimated number of stars in the observable universe is over 1 septillion. That's 10^24, or a 1 with 24 zeros behind it (1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000); and that's just the observable universe.

So now that whole six days to create the Earth looks silly against creating 10^24+ stars in a single afternoon... Drinking Beverage
It's good we agree on the Earth not lasting forever. Which nullifies the posters claim that there can be no God because of the Earth's stature.

No, it doesn't. The OP's argument has nothing to do with the Earth lasting forever or not.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-09-2013, 09:25 PM
After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists
Word - I'm not making any kind of claim, nor presenting an argument, nor what I said had anything to do with the Earth lasting forever.
Not really sure where you picked that up from.

There are lots of things from the Guinness Book of World Records that I find impossible to believe, but ya know what, they have evidence for each record in the book and when I see that evidence, then I believe it.

"After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists"

That's it - That's all I'm saying and truly nothing more than that.

When Guinness creates a category for gods, let me know.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
16-09-2013, 09:36 PM
(16-09-2013 05:22 PM)theword Wrote:  It's good we agree on the Earth not lasting forever. Which nullifies the posters claim that there can be no God because of the Earth's stature.

Let's take a look at that, shall we?

Rahn127 Wrote:After viewing the scale of things, you begin to see just how small we are and how BIG the universe is.

That sounds like he's marveling at the comparative scale of the universe.

Rahn127 Wrote:There are stars who have diameters larger than the orbit of Neptune.
There are structures that you could drop our galaxy into and it would be like a needle in a haystack.
Large voids that contain no stars, no galaxies

More example of the sorts of scale that the universe contains, and why they are amazing. Taken with the name of the thread, it should be clear that if anything, the complete lack of this sort of specific information in any holy book should lead to a strong doubt of any claimed god therein.

Rahn127 Wrote:And the length of what they think the size of the universe is 10^27 meters

I believe my name says it all Rahn127 (i am the universe)

And explanation of his forum names as it relates to the estimated scale of the universe.

Verdict? Congratulations thetruth! You are still full of shit! Bowing

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
17-09-2013, 03:07 AM
(16-09-2013 09:25 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  "After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists"

Your basically saying that no intellect with the power to create, would ever create a universe as big as ours for a species our size.

This really isn't a good reason to claim God doesn't exist.
17-09-2013, 03:22 AM
(17-09-2013 03:07 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(16-09-2013 09:25 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  "After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists"

Your basically saying that no intellect with the power to create, would ever create a universe as big as ours for a species our size.

This really isn't a good reason to claim God doesn't exist.

A God perhaps, unlikely but in the realm of just ultra improbabile. The Christian God, no he is far too small for this universe. He was god of 1 tiny tribe in a flyspeck province of a backwater region on a planet that is off in a small corner of the universe. Gods are always running away, first they lived on top of the mountains, then we climbed the mountains to discover they were not there. The they moved to the sky until we traveled there. Next they moved to outer space, but when we look there guess what No God. Now God only exists in some nebulous gap that we have yet to explore.

The size of the universe does not preclude the chance of a creator but it does give lie to a personal interventionalist who is concerned what you do with your genitals and needs to be constantly told that we love them. This on it's own doesn't kill the idea of a Christian god but combined with everything else that they got wrong in the bible it is one stone on the grave.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
17-09-2013, 07:53 AM
What you non-Christians fail to believe, or at least read in the Bible is the fact that this Earth will pass away. Why would God make a grandiose Earth, only to have it destroyed? There are also passages about our citizenship being in Heaven and not on Earth.
Again, this is why the Earth is not grand n God's creation and certainly does not disprove that God exists.
17-09-2013, 08:19 AM
(17-09-2013 07:53 AM)theword Wrote:  What you non-Christians fail to believe, or at least read in the Bible is the fact that this Earth will pass away. Why would God make a grandiose Earth, only to have it destroyed? There are also passages about our citizenship being in Heaven and not on Earth.
Again, this is why the Earth is not grand n God's creation and certainly does not disprove that God exists.

Your level of continued ignorance and inability to read (which sheds light on your relative ability to comprehend your Bible), does nothing to help your point.

Explain to us how we can definitively disprove an unfalsifiable assertion. Until then the existence of the Earth is just as much proof for your god as it is for the existence of any other god. Only less so in the case of Yahweh as he supposedly took six days to make the Earth, but created 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in one afternoon; and then proceeded to not just hide all evidence of his personal creation, but fabricated false evidence so that the evidence we do find contradicts his own stories! Of course he also forget to mention that to the people writing down his divinely inspired words...

And in light of this, you still think he exists? I don't know which is dumber, you or your god... Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
17-09-2013, 08:49 AM
(17-09-2013 08:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 07:53 AM)theword Wrote:  What you non-Christians fail to believe, or at least read in the Bible is the fact that this Earth will pass away. Why would God make a grandiose Earth, only to have it destroyed? There are also passages about our citizenship being in Heaven and not on Earth.

Your level of continued ignorance and inability to read (which sheds light on your relative ability to comprehend your Bible), does nothing to help your point.

Explain to us how we can definitively disprove an unfalsifiable assertion. Until then the existence of the Earth is just as much proof for your god as it is for the existence of any other god. Only less so in the case of Yahweh as he supposedly took six days to make the Earth, but created 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in one afternoon; and then proceeded to not just hide all evidence of his personal creation, but fabricated false evidence so that the evidence we do find contradicts his own stories! Of course he also forget to mention that to the people writing down his divinely inspired words...

And in light of this, you still think he exists? I don't know which is dumber, you or your god... Drinking Beverage
I will type this slow so you may be able to understand my simple point. This earth will pass away. You know it and so do I. My very simple point, which you fail to understand is: God would not make a grandiose earth, only to destroy it. So, the fact that the earth may be insignificant in the large scheme of things, does not prove there is no God.
I do not know how simpler I can make this for a person who obviously claims higher intelligence such as yourself.