After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2013, 10:15 AM
RE: After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists
For me it is the Hubble deep space scan that shows that in just one tiny % of the sky there exist thousands upon thousands of galaxies each containing billions of stars with billions of planets. No deity that called us its favored children would ever have created all that. It is only though illogical apologetics that you can twist an argument in favor of a creator that calls humans their favored progeny.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2013, 10:25 AM
RE:scale of the universe
(29-08-2013 10:06 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  After reviewing the SIZE of the universe, I find it illogical to say we can assert we have knowledge god exists nowhere and at no time within. After reviewing the SCALE of the universe, I realized we might not see god who is too big or too far beyond our puny intellect.

Religion is a receding horizon of ignorance. It can only lay claim to explain those things we have not yet explored by science. From comets, earthquakes and volcanoes to sexual reproduction, planetary movement and weather, science has consistently eaten religion's lunch and will continue to do so. Even morality is no longer owned by religion. http://www.ted.com/talks/frans_de_waal_d...orals.html
We can simply accept the universe for what it is.....FUCKING AWESOME. No deity required.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
[+] 3 users Like NoSkyDaddy's post
29-08-2013, 10:50 AM
RE: After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists
(29-08-2013 10:06 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  After reviewing the SIZE of the universe, I find it illogical to say we can assert we have knowledge god exists nowhere and at no time within. After reviewing the SCALE of the universe, I realized we might not see god who is too big or too far beyond our puny intellect.

You saying this actually imbues my life today with hope.
You have profoundly influenced another person on this planet.

I would say that's something

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
29-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Quote:It is only though illogical apologetics that you can twist an argument in favor of a creator that calls humans their favored progeny.

That would be twisted. Did I say humans are the only sentient life? "All dogs go to Heaven." Did I say there is no life elsewhere. "If there is life on other planets, it trusts Jesus, but only if it is intelligent life."
29-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Quote:Religion is a receding horizon of ignorance. It can only lay claim to explain those things we have not yet explored by science. From comets, earthquakes and volcanoes to sexual reproduction, planetary movement and weather, science has consistently eaten religion's lunch and will continue to do so. Even morality is no longer owned by religion. http://www.ted.com/talks/frans_de_waal_d...orals.html
We can simply accept the universe for what it is.....FUCKING AWESOME. No deity required.

On what basis do you say the universe is awesome? In what context? There's another thread here where I address the suffering of children. Do you look at a kid undergoing chemo and say, "Awesome, dude!" That's just... wrong.

By contrast, the Bible says man is flawed and will be saved and redeemed, which is awesome. Also, science hasn't eaten religion's lunch. Someone isn't counting Muslims and Catholics in this world!
29-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Quote:You saying this actually imbues my life today with hope.
You have profoundly influenced another person on this planet.

I would say that's something

Absolutely. I'm glad you feel I've profoundly influenced you. You aren't far from God's Kingdom.
29-08-2013, 11:50 AM
PS. The Ted Talks video doesn't enhance your point. Man is the immoral creature, and higher animals have a "nefesh" or spirit in them too. I'd expect animals in some ways to be more moral than man. We have a dog and cat at home who constantly express love and faithfulness and not animus... or atheism.
29-08-2013, 12:09 PM
(29-08-2013 11:50 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  PS. The Ted Talks video doesn't enhance your point. Man is the immoral creature, and higher animals have a "nefesh" or spirit in them too. I'd expect animals in some ways to be more moral than man. We have a dog and cat at home who constantly express love and faithfulness and not animus... or atheism.

Do they pray?

29-08-2013, 12:18 PM
(29-08-2013 11:45 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:It is only though illogical apologetics that you can twist an argument in favor of a creator that calls humans their favored progeny.

That would be twisted. Did I say humans are the only sentient life? "All dogs go to Heaven." Did I say there is no life elsewhere. "If there is life on other planets, it trusts Jesus, but only if it is intelligent life."

You bring me UP and then let me back down Sad
You are a cruel mistress.

It was like a flicker of light in a vast ocean of irrationality, snuffed out too quickly.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
29-08-2013, 12:21 PM
(29-08-2013 12:18 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(29-08-2013 11:45 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  That would be twisted. Did I say humans are the only sentient life? "All dogs go to Heaven." Did I say there is no life elsewhere. "If there is life on other planets, it trusts Jesus, but only if it is intelligent life."

You bring me UP and then let me back down Sad
You are a cruel mistress.

It was like a flicker of light in a vast ocean of irrationality, snuffed out too quickly.

Mark Dreher in the that other thread has told us that dogs don't go to heaven.

I wish all the people who say they know the minds of the gods would reach a consensus on these important matters.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post