After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2013, 12:25 PM
After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists
(29-08-2013 11:48 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Absolutely. I'm glad you feel I've profoundly influenced you. You aren't far from God's Kingdom.

Tell this personality that I want to speak to the other guy. He was the closest thing I've seen to a rational side of you.

I have god's kingdom on my iphone. My character is on level 50 but this damn helmet won't come off and it's on backwards. So annoying.
I've been killing everything around me. I sure hope I'm in the forest and not the township. That would be awkward.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
29-08-2013, 01:32 PM
RE: After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists
Quote: You bring me UP and then let me back down
You are a cruel mistress.

It was like a flicker of light in a vast ocean of irrationality, snuffed out too quickly.

LOL! Dude, you so rock. LOVED this post. Great.
29-08-2013, 01:37 PM
RE: After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists
Quote: Mark Dreher in the that other thread has told us that dogs don't go to heaven.

I wish all the people who say they know the minds of the gods would reach a consensus on these important matters.

I wish all the freethinkers would drop their pride, then come up with some commonalities so I’m not boxing the air. Y’all can barely decide if you’re agnostic or not, naturalists or not, Darwinists or not, etc. It’s like debating in a madhouse with madmen.

And you don’t even debate! You just make snide comments. De-snide-ify yo’ self, brother!

PS. Extra points for you for going back to old threads to prove you caught Christians disagree on the all-important, vital doctrine of heavenly pets. What next? Reinvention of a wheel?
29-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Quote: Tell this personality that I want to speak to the other guy. He was the closest thing I've seen to a rational side of you.

I have god's kingdom on my iphone. My character is on level 50 but this damn helmet won't come off and it's on backwards. So annoying.
I've been killing everything around me. I sure hope I'm in the forest and not the township. That would be awkward.

ROFL! Lovely. Laugh it up, because I hit my goal and demolished the thread I didn’t start about the UNIVERSE to keep the thread going I started on genocide that happened 3,500 years ago. Winning! PS. I’m being facetious. You just want me to serious in EVERY post and never crack jokes like the rest of us mooks here. Level playing field.

PPS. Bro, you give up far too easy. Can’t we talk about how the universe is so large there’s no god again? Or how humans are so small he doesn’t care for us on the basis of scale? Yeah, that made sense. Why do people have ant farms and care about what's under a microscope, then? I mean "care", not "study".
29-08-2013, 05:04 PM
RE: After viewing the scale of the universe

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
29-08-2013, 05:20 PM
RE: After viewing the scale of the universe...
(29-08-2013 11:47 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  On what basis do you say the universe is awesome? In what context?
When I glimpse the scale and structure of the universe, I'm awestruck. That is the basis and context. Thumbsup

(29-08-2013 11:47 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  There's another thread here where I address the suffering of children. Do you look at a kid undergoing chemo and say, "Awesome, dude!" That's just... wrong.
This thread is about the scale of the universe, not every incident that happens in it. You know you took that out of context. Shame on you. No
BTW, chemo as well as the treatments and preventions for thousands of child killing diseases... inventions of science, thank you! If religion ( particularly Christianity ) had succeeded in preventing the use of microscopes, none of these would exist.

(29-08-2013 11:47 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  By contrast, the Bible says man is flawed and will be saved and redeemed, which is awesome.
Please show supporting data.

(29-08-2013 11:47 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Also, science hasn't eaten religion's lunch. Someone isn't counting Muslims and Catholics in this world!
... not only eaten, but, digested, excreted and rubbed in your face. Evil_monster

(29-08-2013 11:47 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Someone isn't counting Muslims and Catholics in this world!
Algebra and physics were developed by Muslims and Christians, but, are not based on any scriptural content.

(29-08-2013 11:47 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  PS. The Ted Talks video doesn't enhance your point.
The TED talk demonstrates the biological origins of morality, developed in social animals due to their need for social cohesion and cooperation for group survival.
This undermines the Divine Command Theory of morality.

(29-08-2013 11:47 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  ... and higher animals have a "nefesh" or spirit in them too. I'd expect animals in some ways to be more moral than man. We have a dog and cat at home who constantly express love and faithfulness and not animus... or atheism.

1. Show data supporting a "spirit".
2. Religionists have long maintained that animals did not have emotions, souls or morality. Moving the goal post are we?
3. Dogs and cats are species that care for their young. Love and compassion are necessary for their offspring's survival.
4. Atheism is a skeptical position regarding supernatural explanations of natural phenomenon, not hostility toward anyone or a rejection of love, compassion, or devotion to those we care about.

29-08-2013, 06:08 PM
RE: After viewing the scale of the universe
(29-08-2013 11:50 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  We have a dog and cat at home who constantly express love and faithfulness and not animus...

P.S. Clearly you haven't known enough cats. I've known a lot myself. Several of them have displayed what I would definitely call animus.

04-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Too many side tangents here now. Please visit the "meanings of suffering" thread.
04-09-2013, 11:08 PM
(04-09-2013 02:29 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Too many side tangents here now. Please visit the "meanings of suffering" thread.

Translation: I'm going to retreat back to my 'gods' last bastion, the nebulousness of biblical morality, because I am not able to defend any of the bullshit I've posted on this thread.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
05-09-2013, 07:10 AM
RE: After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god ex
(29-08-2013 10:06 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  After reviewing the SIZE of the universe, I find it illogical to say we can assert we have knowledge god exists nowhere and at no time within. After reviewing the SCALE of the universe, I realized we might not see god who is too big or too far beyond our puny intellect.

I'm confused. Are you claiming that god exists within the universe as a physical being that we could find. I would have thought you would go for an "outside of the universe" model, in which case the size of the universe would be somewhat irrelevant.

The only real theological argument I think you can make out of the size of the universe is an attempt to further refute a traditional geocentrist model which some would claim is still itself present in Christian theology in the form of the idea that the universe was created for us. The size of the universe impacts this argument by highlighting the small amount of the universe that is in fact dedicated to our use, which suggests that the remainder is waste. The conventional counterargument to this waste argument is that God is infinite and therefore has no concept of waste. The same model plays out with evolution. Why would God create a universe for us that was empty of us for 13.7 billion years? Why a planet empty of us for 4.5 billion? Why use the wasteful, deadly process of evolution to produce us? It seems that we don't have the central value and place in the universe that Christian theology suggests we should.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post