After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2013, 02:25 PM
RE: After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists
Quote:Pleasy,
If the complexity of this universe requires a source, the complexity of that source would have to be greater than our universe. Greater complexity, therefore, has a greater source requirement. An infinitely complex being such as God would have an infinite source requirement. Please avoid special pleading fallacy in your response.

Illogical, Captain. The universe is not on the order of infinite complexity. The next higher level need not be. LLAP.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 02:25 PM
RE: After viewing the scale of the universe, I find it impossible to believe a god exists
Quote:It's all just another goalpost shift, isn't it? Gods used to live at the top of the mountains, until we climbed to the top of those mansions. Then the gods moved up into the sky and below the sea, until we invented powered flight and submersibles. Then the gods moved back out into outer space, and we eventually made it up there as well. Now the gods exist beyond our reach again, until we once again reach wherever they are supposed to be hiding now. The gods are always perpetually just out of reach, quite convenient for the faithful isn't it?

Also here is a beautiful video about how the size of the universe is an argument in favor of atheism.

Yet you want to lecture me on Christianity. How does the incarnation of Jesus argue completely against your post?
09-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Quote:Christianity moved ALL the goalposts. There is no "Biblical paradigm". There are many "Biblical paradigms". Christianity is the dunce's religion, specifically created (by Saul of Tarsus), to SHIFT the goalposts. The Bible is nothing, if NOT, "shifting goalposts". The examples are countless. The very names of NT vs OT is a prime example.

Are you suffering from memory lapses ?
Have you had an Alzheimer's evaluation, gramps ?
Have you fallen, and can't get up ?
Are you on drugs ?
Are you drunk ?

Have a nice weekend Pleasy, and whatever you do, DON'T bore your poor hapless congregation with THIS crap.

Actually, it's funny I should read this from you today. As a part of my sermon to several hundred congregants yesterday, I mentioned how much of the OT looks forward as type and shadow to the NT, and how Paul barely had an original thought that wasn't a rephrasing of an Old Testament concept! Of course, you have to love and meditate on the Bible to see that. For example, Christians love to quote Paul's charge to be filled with the Spirit rather than drunk on alcohol. When I taught through Habbakuk several weeks ago, I pointed out how Chapter 2 describes false prophets intoxicated by wine and Chapter 3 is a Shiggionath or ecstatic poem that is supposed to have been written or declared under the Spirit's inspiration. Paul is doing a midrash indicating that one is to be wary of both intoxication and false teaching. Get it?

The canard that is still shared in screwels across the U.S. that Paul invented something new is (yawn) boring me. Have anything better that that to share?
09-09-2013, 02:31 PM
This is rather funny. I honestly cannot see how the size of the universe has anything to do with whether God exists or not. It's like a flea who doesn't believe in the universe because of the size of the dog he lives on.
09-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Quote:Bullshit, and you've been here long enough to know why. The god of the OT is different from the god of the NT.

In the OT, god is personal. He actually intervenes often, shows himself personally, presents himself and talks to Abraham, and even wrestles with Jacob. He recognizes the existence of other gods, but demands that he be worshiped above all others. He is creator of both good and evil, but lacks the power to overcome chariots of iron. He is a jealous god.

In the NT god becomes a 3-in-1 amalgamation that nobody has ever been ever to agree upon. Satan and other demons become the go-to bad guys, attempting to truly absolve god of taking responsibility for evil. With this god comes both the new concepts of salvation and Hell.

Not only has the goal post shifted out of the stadium, it went and changed sports too.

Yes, after reading about the 153 people Jesus healed in four gospels, I concluded you are right. The god of the NT IS impersonal.
09-09-2013, 03:01 PM

RE: After viewing the scale of the universe...
(09-09-2013 02:24 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:"And the LORD came down upon mount Sinai, on the top of the mount: and the LORD called Moses up to the top of the mount; and Moses went up." (Exodus 19:20)

Obviously, I meant "heavenly permanent dwelling". It says He CAME DOWN to Sinai. This is a silly response.

Is it, now?! Consider

Then why does the OT constantly link Yahweh to mountains? The "Lord's mountain"? Gen. 22:14, Isa. 30:29, 2 Chr. 33:15? Temple as "mountain"? Micah 4:2, Isa. 2:3?

Looks to me like Yahweh was a war god from the mountains, one of the multitude of them, and that the OT was tampered with after the ancient Hebrews embraced monotheism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMl...re=related
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 03:16 PM
(09-09-2013 02:25 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:It's all just another goalpost shift, isn't it? Gods used to live at the top of the mountains, until we climbed to the top of those mansions. Then the gods moved up into the sky and below the sea, until we invented powered flight and submersibles. Then the gods moved back out into outer space, and we eventually made it up there as well. Now the gods exist beyond our reach again, until we once again reach wherever they are supposed to be hiding now. The gods are always perpetually just out of reach, quite convenient for the faithful isn't it?

Also here is a beautiful video about how the size of the universe is an argument in favor of atheism.

Yet you want to lecture me on Christianity. How does the incarnation of Jesus argue completely against your post?

It doesn't. Evidence or GTFO. Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
09-09-2013, 03:18 PM
(09-09-2013 02:31 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Bullshit, and you've been here long enough to know why. The god of the OT is different from the god of the NT.

In the OT, god is personal. He actually intervenes often, shows himself personally, presents himself and talks to Abraham, and even wrestles with Jacob. He recognizes the existence of other gods, but demands that he be worshiped above all others. He is creator of both good and evil, but lacks the power to overcome chariots of iron. He is a jealous god.

In the NT god becomes a 3-in-1 amalgamation that nobody has ever been ever to agree upon. Satan and other demons become the go-to bad guys, attempting to truly absolve god of taking responsibility for evil. With this god comes both the new concepts of salvation and Hell.

Not only has the goal post shifted out of the stadium, it went and changed sports too.

Yes, after reading about the 153 people Jesus healed in four gospels, I concluded you are right. The god of the NT IS impersonal.

So is your Jesus also responsible for the genocide of the OT as well? Evidence or GTFO. Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
09-09-2013, 03:49 PM
(09-09-2013 02:31 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Yes, after reading about the 153 people Jesus healed in four gospels, I concluded you are right. The god of the NT IS impersonal.

What percent of the world's population was 153 people? Sounds like 'exclusive' is the correct word here.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
09-09-2013, 04:07 PM
(09-09-2013 03:01 PM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  
(09-09-2013 02:24 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Obviously, I meant "heavenly permanent dwelling". It says He CAME DOWN to Sinai. This is a silly response.

Is it, now?! Consider

Then why does the OT constantly link Yahweh to mountains? The "Lord's mountain"? Gen. 22:14, Isa. 30:29, 2 Chr. 33:15? Temple as "mountain"? Micah 4:2, Isa. 2:3?

Looks to me like Yahweh was a war god from the mountains, one of the multitude of them, and that the OT was tampered with after the ancient Hebrews embraced monotheism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMl...re=related
If I may respond to this. I do believe the term mountain in the scriptures when used in the application you are referring to, is imagery pertaining to a political structure.