After watching this, u might change ur perspective like I did...

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
28-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Video After watching this, u might change ur perspective like I did...
I came across this video and I thought u all might wanna see it, if u think it has any flawless points, plz say them here Blush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBIfazr1AVI
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2011, 03:42 PM
RE: After watching this, u might change ur perspective like I did...
0:05 ...why is he speaking English?

0:27 That is correct. There is no reason to believe we have "souls." The only reason people believe in the concept of the soul is because their religion has told them that we will live on through our souls after death. Which is a way for people who are afraid of dying to deal with death. "Oh we don't really die, we live forever in the afterlife."

0:43 "Who created and designed this great universe?" That's quite a leading statement, already assuming design and looking for the designer without questioning whether or not this universe appears to have design. There are many posts on this site that explain why "design" and this universe aren't compatible.

1:03 Complete misunderstanding of evolution. Teleological argument fallacy.

Wow... I started skimming ahead after I was blasted with prayer music and Qu'ran scriptures. This is basically just the Teleological argument "argument from design" with a lot more logical fallacies and misunderstandings on evolution and abiogenesis. It's that old theist claim of "you think all this was just a big accident?"

Please look around the science forum and the creationism forum for some rebuttals.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
28-05-2011, 03:48 PM
(28-05-2011 03:24 PM)CONFUSED Wrote:   I came across this video and I thought u all might wanna see it, if u think it has any flawless points, plz say them here Blush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBIfazr1AVI

I cannot count the number of logical fallacies that are made in this video. His logic is flawed on every count.

Firstly, I do not reject the claim that god exists because I "can't touch or see it". That is what is known as a straw man logical fallacy - he is oversimplifying another person's argument and then attacking that. I reject the claim that god exists because there is NO evidence that god exists, simple as that.

He then tries to use the analogy that we can't touch or see our soul, but we "know" it exists. This is false, and I reject the existence of a soul just as I reject the existence of a god, there is simply no evidence.

Then he goes on to ask a loaded question, "Who created the stars, the moon, the sun?" This question assumes that SOMEONE created those things. We know how stars are formed, we have a pretty damn good understanding of how our moon formed, etc., but EVEN IF WE DIDN'T, that doesn't imply a God did it. Saying that we have no explanation for how these things happened, therefore God must have done it is another logical fallacy known as the argument from ignorance.

He then creates another straw man (I suggest you google straw man if you are not familiar with the term) when he says that evolution and the big bang created everything "by accident" using a car coming together piece by piece by "accident" as an analogy. This is a horrid example, because we know very well how things like stars and the moon form and why this is so. Physics and cosmology explain exactly what forces (like gravity) are responsible for the creation of stars and why the earth orbits the sun. He is creating an argument from personal incredulity, basically saying he doesn't understand how it all works, therefore God did it. Is it an accident that when I hold a pen above my head and drop it that it falls down to the floor every single time?

Then he tries to solve the infinite regress problem by simply asserting that God is the uncreated creator. He starts with the premise that everything must be created, then concludes that God wasn't created, completely falsifying his initial premise.

That's all for now, I can't take the ignorance any further...
28-05-2011, 03:51 PM
It's just one big erroneous "God of the Gaps" video.

I don't know how the universe formed, so God did it.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
28-05-2011, 03:56 PM

At least he apologized for saying everything wrong in the end... Dodgy

The arguments of this person make very little sense. He wears a pair of glasses and a white shirt and debates scientific facts. Then he drops the glasses and changes to a red shirt and refutes the said facts by providing non-generalizable toilet philosophies. He talks simplisticly and deconstructively to be able to pass his points on but his points are invalid.

First argument he makes....
NO!
Second....
NO!
Third...
NO!

You catch my drift...

PS. What made me shit bricks was that at the end he did not say "April Fool's Day!!!"... I was really hoping he would. Dodgy
Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2011, 03:59 PM
(28-05-2011 03:56 PM)Celestus87 Wrote:  PS. What made me shit bricks was that at the end he did not say "April Fool's Day!!!"... I was really hoping he would. Dodgy

I actually typed up my response but then thought twice about submitting my post until I watched the entire video with the thought in my mind that this guy is most-likely a poe.... Got to the end, guess not... Undecided
28-05-2011, 04:00 PM

Also, regarding the existence or non-existence of a soul.

We do not have a spiritual soul that wanders off to the heavens (or the pits...) after death.
We have an electrical "soul" that manifests its attributes through choosing and traversing on its favourite neuron pathways in the brain. This "soul" dies when the brain dies (aka. brain-dead).
28-05-2011, 04:10 PM
guys! settle down, am only 14 years old and I don't know that much about science so I nearly fell down into his argument. But your argument is more logical and scientific, thank you Heart
28-05-2011, 04:13 PM

(28-05-2011 04:10 PM)CONFUSED Wrote:  guys! settle down, am only 14 years old and I don't know that much about science so I nearly fell down into his argument. But your argument is more logical and scientific, thank you Heart

Lol! Tongue

No one in this thread is against you. We just felt this guy on the video could cause a lot of damage to you and others. This is why we were so passionate about it. Wink
28-05-2011, 04:16 PM
(28-05-2011 04:10 PM)CONFUSED Wrote:  guys! settle down, am only 14 years old and I don't know that much about science so I nearly fell down into his argument. But your argument is more logical and scientific, thank you Heart

No worries buddy, just pointing out the countless flaws with this guy's reasoning, nothing negative against you. It takes quite a while to be able to understand logical fallacies and pick them out when people make them. Smile

You're on the right track being here though! Just make sure you take nobody's word for anything, even on this forum. Anything anyone says you should question and verify from reliable sources.