Afterlife.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Afterlife.
As a Theist I believe there is an afterlife. What I am curious to find out is what motivates an Atheist to live their life and what they have to look forward to? If death is the end then why do we even have life? Seems pretty pointless. Open to all views. Please enlighten me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 09:03 PM
RE: Afterlife.
(09-01-2012 08:56 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  As a Theist I believe there is an afterlife. What I am curious to find out is what motivates an Atheist to live their life and what they have to look forward to? If death is the end then why do we even have life? Seems pretty pointless. Open to all views. Please enlighten me.

Come on, this is all there is so we might as well make the most out of it. Live life to the full because we all die and that day might come soon!

In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.

--Stephen Jay Gould
09-01-2012, 09:05 PM
I appreciate this quote from Richard Dawkins' Unweaving the Rainbow:

Quote:We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton.

What happens after I die is meaningless to me while I live. I live grateful for having been born at all, and particularly born at this time of Enlightenment.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
09-01-2012, 09:11 PM
I'd like to ask the same question to you but in reverse - how can you like the fact that once you die you go to heaven and have to worship that thing you call God for damn eternity!! Yikes..you can have that.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
09-01-2012, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 09:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-01-2012 08:56 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  What I am curious to find out is what motivates an Atheist to live their life and what they have to look forward to?

Realizing that "this" is all I have to look forward to. ... and then fade to black. ... Have come to think that if you can't appreciate that, you can't appreciate living.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
09-01-2012, 09:37 PM
(09-01-2012 08:56 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  As a Theist I believe there is an afterlife. What I am curious to find out is what motivates an Atheist to live their life and what they have to look forward to? If death is the end then why do we even have life? Seems pretty pointless. Open to all views. Please enlighten me.

Speaking only for myself, I find a lot of meaning in simply raising my kids and loving my wife. I think I would have had a much harder time of it to justify living just for my own ends.

But let me ask you...If your life in this reality is so finite, and is only a "stepping stone to an afterlife" what meaning can you get now when all the benefits are not until you die. If your "afterlife" is infinite it makes the short time here meaningless. Your just sitting in the waiting room of life reading a magazine waiting for the "real" fun to start.

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 5 users Like unsapien's post
09-01-2012, 09:40 PM
(09-01-2012 09:11 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  I'd like to ask the same question to you but in reverse - how can you like the fact that once you die you go to heaven and have to worship that thing you call God for damn eternity!! Yikes..you can have that.

I respect your opinion. To answer your question I am more than happy to worship and serve my Lord because without Him I would not exist. Life is too harsh for me to want to live if there were no God. He loved me enough to give His life for me and Now I am living for Him for all eternity. Whatever He asks of me I will try to do for as long as I have breath. I would gladly worship Him for all eternity if for no other reason than because I don't understand him. He is infinite and my mind is finite and even though I have a brain I can't wrap it around this Loving God.
09-01-2012, 09:45 PM
(09-01-2012 09:40 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  
(09-01-2012 09:11 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  I'd like to ask the same question to you but in reverse - how can you like the fact that once you die you go to heaven and have to worship that thing you call God for damn eternity!! Yikes..you can have that.

I respect your opinion. To answer your question I am more than happy to worship and serve my Lord because without Him I would not exist. Life is too harsh for me to want to live if there were no God. He loved me enough to give His life for me and Now I am living for Him for all eternity. Whatever He asks of me I will try to do for as long as I have breath. I would gladly worship Him for all eternity if for no other reason than because I don't understand him. He is infinite and my mind is finite and even though I have a brain I can't wrap it around this Loving God.

Just like you don't understand how I can feel/think that way, it's the same with me about you.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
09-01-2012, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 09:51 PM by Thatweirdkid.)
(09-01-2012 09:37 PM)unsapien Wrote:  

Speaking only for myself, I find a lot of meaning in simply raising my kids and loving my wife. I think I would have had a much harder time of it to justify living just for my own ends.

But let me ask you...If your life in this reality is so finite, and is only a "stepping stone to an afterlife" what meaning can you get now when all the benefits are not until you die. If your "afterlife" is infinite it makes the short time here meaningless. Your just sitting in the waiting room of life reading a magazine waiting for the "real" fun to start.

Well said. For me the benefit for now is living my life for my Savior and trying to be all I can be for Him and telling everyone I know what He has done for me. As for the "real fun" what I call fun is serving my Lord. It's what I will be doing for the rest of my life, but, here in this "waiting room" I have a chance to start worshiping and serving Him now. I am simply preparing for what I will be doing forever.

Just like you don't understand how I can feel/think that way, it's the same with me about you.
[/quote]

Fair enough.
09-01-2012, 09:52 PM
(09-01-2012 09:46 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  Well said. For me the benefit for now is living my life for my Savior and trying to be all I can be for Him and telling everyone I know what He has done for me. As for the "real fun" what I call fun is serving my Lord. It's what I will be doing for the rest of my life, but, here in this "waiting room" I have a chance to start worshiping and serving Him now. I am simply preparing for what I will be doing forever.

Wow, what did he do for you? I asked him once for perfectly done bacon but he didn't come through.

In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.

--Stephen Jay Gould