Afterlife

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Afterlife
We've all at some point lost a close friend or relative at some point. Depending on the relationship we usually feel sad about that person not being here anymore. However, upon my better understanding of what religion(Christianity to be exact) I've come around to not really feeling sad about the passing of loved ones. My entire thought process is usually geared towards good times shared and to try and live my life better each day in remembrance rather than dip into despair.

Most of us as atheist either believe that there is no afterlife or there is no evidence so we don't know and can't assert it to be true. On the other side, the bulk of theist of different religions believe in an afterlife in which you will be reunited with loved one's. If this is a strong belief of theirs why so gloom upon the death of a loved one especially since you "know" that they are in a better place where they can not feel pain, turmoil, etc. . Unless the belief is not strong at all?

Let's rewind a bit and touch back on their being an afterlife. I'm not 100% certain on other religions but I know for southern Methodist Baptist Christians it is believed that upon your crossing over your mind is erased so that you don't fill sadness of missing your loved ones. This also is suppose to help you in the event that your loved ones never make it to heaven as well. Direct quote from my father when I questioned about it as a teenager "We won't remember each other once we die. If I saw you in hell and I was in heaven I wouldn't feel the emotion of that. I wouldn't remember you"(Kind of getting a glimpse of why it was so easy for me to turn away from religion?).

Ok so let's think on that a bit...If you were an angel you would feel no remorse towards those who have been sent to burn for an eternity because your mind would be erased? Does that include emotions too? Sounds like angels are just mindless puppets....oh wait Big Grin. I'm sorry but as a human I have more respect for life than that if I see someone suffering I'd like to believe I would help.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
10-08-2014, 03:08 PM
RE: Afterlife
you'll be happier if you believe that you're gonna like reunite with everybody you love somewhere that's better than the best smell, the best orgasm, the best meal, the best entertainment, the most excitement, and the best high ever had.

discard the idea of hell and instead believe that the greatest sinners will simply go to this place where they have to be purified and then eventually they will receive the purity of an angel and go to heaven with everybody else.

if you truly believe that and are convinced of it without a doubt, it will make you happier.Shy
10-08-2014, 03:14 PM
(10-08-2014 03:08 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  you'll be happier if you believe that you're gonna like reunite with everybody you love somewhere that's better than the best smell, the best orgasm, the best meal, the best entertainment, the most excitement, and the best high ever had.

discard the idea of hell and instead believe that the greatest sinners will simply go to this place where they have to be purified and then eventually they will receive the purity of an angel and go to heaven with everybody else.

I'll be happier believing as many true thing based on evidence than just blindly believing and told that's how you get a prize. If anything that just sounds like a flock full of followers who will do anything if you're bigger than them. You sound like a child just thinking that in the end everything will just be ok. No sometimes it's not and that's called life. Sometimes you don't get what you want.

As far as "discarding" hell, that's not what your bible say's. Please provide a verse in your book stating that's how it is to be. Drinking Beverage
10-08-2014, 03:14 PM
What is there to discuss about claims of afterlife? It will feel the same after you die as it did before you were born.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
10-08-2014, 03:28 PM
(10-08-2014 03:08 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  you'll be happier if you believe that you're gonna like reunite with everybody you love somewhere that's better than the best smell, the best orgasm, the best meal, the best entertainment, the most excitement, and the best high ever had.

if you truly believe that and are convinced of it without a doubt, it will make you happier.Shy

The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.

-George Bernard Shaw
[+] 4 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
10-08-2014, 03:31 PM
(10-08-2014 03:14 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  

I'll be happier believing as many true thing based on evidence than just blindly believing and told that's how you get a prize. If anything that just sounds like a flock full of followers who will do anything if you're bigger than them. You sound like a child just thinking that in the end everything will just be ok. No sometimes it's not and that's called life. Sometimes you don't get what you want.

As far as "discarding" hell, that's not what your bible say's. Please provide a verse in your book stating that's how it is to be. Drinking Beverage
I never said I believed that. I said if you are thoroughly convinced of that , you would be happier then if you just believe that all your dead friends and relatives were decomposing in the dirt getting eaten by worms,and that was going to be your lot as well.

I hate the Bible so please do not accuse me of being a Christian. Laugh out load
10-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Wow, this is the second time I am having to pull out this dinosaur: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-a-Flicker

It describes, in many words, my opinion and thoughts on the afterlife. Now, I didn't touch on the feelings of crossing over, or losing your emotional connections with family.... But what would be the point go living that life? If Heaven erases it, what was it for?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
10-08-2014, 05:21 PM
You know they just make this shit up, right? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
10-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Keep and enjoy the life you have right now.

OR...

Spend your entire life striving to get what's behind door #2.
Hint: There's nothing behind door#2.
10-08-2014, 06:34 PM
(10-08-2014 05:30 PM)pablo Wrote:  Keep and enjoy the life you have right now.

OR...

Spend your entire life striving to get what's behind door #2.
Hint: There's nothing behind door#2.

Actually, there is no door #2.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post