Afterlife

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 06:55 PM
RE: Afterlife
(10-08-2014 03:02 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Let's rewind a bit and touch back on their being an afterlife. I'm not 100% certain on other religions but I know for southern Methodist Baptist Christians it is believed that upon your crossing over your mind is erased so that you don't fill sadness of missing your loved ones. This also is suppose to help you in the event that your loved ones never make it to heaven as well. Direct quote from my father when I questioned about it as a teenager "We won't remember each other once we die. If I saw you in hell and I was in heaven I wouldn't feel the emotion of that. I wouldn't remember you"(Kind of getting a glimpse of why it was so easy for me to turn away from religion?).

So, if you both got into heaven, you wouldn't remember each other either, even though you could spend time together? That seems like a horrible system.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
10-08-2014, 08:08 PM
(10-08-2014 06:55 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(10-08-2014 03:02 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Let's rewind a bit and touch back on their being an afterlife. I'm not 100% certain on other religions but I know for southern Methodist Baptist Christians it is believed that upon your crossing over your mind is erased so that you don't fill sadness of missing your loved ones. This also is suppose to help you in the event that your loved ones never make it to heaven as well. Direct quote from my father when I questioned about it as a teenager "We won't remember each other once we die. If I saw you in hell and I was in heaven I wouldn't feel the emotion of that. I wouldn't remember you"(Kind of getting a glimpse of why it was so easy for me to turn away from religion?).

So, if you both got into heaven, you wouldn't remember each other either, even though you could spend time together? That seems like a horrible system.
The problem I have with that is that all of the relationships I had with people played and continues to play a large part in forging who I am. If memories of my loved ones are erased I don't think I'd be me anymore. Seems pointless to me..
[+] 3 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
11-08-2014, 12:36 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 12:41 AM by Gaest.)
(10-08-2014 03:02 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  We've all at some point lost a close friend or relative at some point. Depending on the relationship we usually feel sad about that person not being here anymore. However, upon my better understanding of what religion(Christianity to be exact) I've come around to not really feeling sad about the passing of loved ones. My entire thought process is usually geared towards good times shared and to try and live my life better each day in remembrance rather than dip into despair.

Most of us as atheist either believe that there is no afterlife or there is no evidence so we don't know and can't assert it to be true. On the other side, the bulk of theist of different religions believe in an afterlife in which you will be reunited with loved one's. If this is a strong belief of theirs why so gloom upon the death of a loved one especially since you "know" that they are in a better place where they can not feel pain, turmoil, etc. . Unless the belief is not strong at all?

Let's rewind a bit and touch back on their being an afterlife. I'm not 100% certain on other religions but I know for southern Methodist Baptist Christians it is believed that upon your crossing over your mind is erased so that you don't fill sadness of missing your loved ones. This also is suppose to help you in the event that your loved ones never make it to heaven as well. Direct quote from my father when I questioned about it as a teenager "We won't remember each other once we die. If I saw you in hell and I was in heaven I wouldn't feel the emotion of that. I wouldn't remember you"(Kind of getting a glimpse of why it was so easy for me to turn away from religion?).

Ok so let's think on that a bit...If you were an angel you would feel no remorse towards those who have been sent to burn for an eternity because your mind would be erased? Does that include emotions too? Sounds like angels are just mindless puppets....oh wait Big Grin. I'm sorry but as a human I have more respect for life than that if I see someone suffering I'd like to believe I would help.

Hmm, funny thing. I have a pretty different idea about afterlife.

My notion of an afterlife is actually build around remembrance and community instead of forgetfulness and individuality.
I am a Norse polytheist (commonly known as Asatru), and my perspective is pretty much that people live on through the memory of them. Toast to them, tell the stories of their life at parties and rituals, and remember them and what they did for you and yours.
This in turn also means that if you want a good after-life you should use your time in life to build your renown and legacy so that people will remember you and what you did in life, and hopefully that will also benefit your family after you are gone - a la "I knew your dad, he was an awesome dude, the job is yours".

Is there a huge afterlife party waiting for me, where I get to see and have fun with my family and friends? I hope so, it would be nice, but instead of putting all my money on that I would rather build my legacy in this life, and make sure I live on through my kids, and the memory of me and the things I build in life.
Another interesting aspect here is that it is not a god, but rather a community of living people, who judge the quality of you and your doings.
[+] 1 user Likes Gaest's post
11-08-2014, 01:31 AM
Julia Sweeney on the not-so-enthusiastic reunion with family in the afterlife:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtIyx687ytk

As to Chas' comment, they just make it up, yep. There is only a single reference in the Hebrew Bible to an afterlife (and resurrection), in the book of Daniel, the very last to be written, and less than 200 years before Jebus. Christianity and Islam pick it up and run with it from there.

Daniel 12:1-2, At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered. Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2014, 09:22 AM
So god numbs you up in the afterlife so you don't feel bad for people in hell?

This reminds me of what some spiders do to flies that get stuck in their webs. They shoot them with a tiny bit of poison which immobilizes it so it can't escape. It's still alive but can't function.

So god is a spider, heaven is the web and people stuck in heaven are the flies. Ick.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Quite an interesting post Mr Krispy.
If we were to be de sensitized re still existing loved ones the Xtian may shout "Isn't God kind".........................................but look at life's great sufferings on this planet.

I have also read of the 'saved' delighting at watching their enemies writhe in the fires of Hell.

Crazy writings, even crazier God!Hobo
11-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Silicon Heaven
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
11-08-2014, 03:58 PM
afterlife...

[Image: iypxu0.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
11-08-2014, 04:21 PM
(11-08-2014 02:17 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I have also read of the 'saved' delighting at watching their enemies writhe in the fires of Hell.

How in the hell do people sit there with a straight face and ok this kind of stuff in their minds. I'm sorry but that is all kinds of evil to be "delighted" at watching anyone burn even your enemies.
11-08-2014, 07:42 PM
(11-08-2014 04:21 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 02:17 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I have also read of the 'saved' delighting at watching their enemies writhe in the fires of Hell.

How in the hell do people sit there with a straight face and ok this kind of stuff in their minds. I'm sorry but that is all kinds of evil to be "delighted" at watching anyone burn even your enemies.

I covered this in my book as well:

Quote:Luke 16 has only a single depiction of the imagined tormenting flames of hell, but a certain devilish someone is conspicuously absent. Come on, I’ll give you three guesses who isn’t there. No takers? Aww, you guys are no fun. Maybe Satan was off on a recruiting trip for souls when Luke wrote about hell and he didn’t see the big, red, bad boy and so he just assumed there was no resident caretaker. However, the only reference in the entirety of the Gospels to Satan residing in hell is Matthew 25:41 which stated, ‘Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.’ That’s it; no other links between Satan and hell exist in the Gospels.

“But, have no fear. Just because Satan isn’t present in Luke’s hell doesn’t mean the fun is over. In the most self-righteous and sadistic aspect of Luke’s description of hell, he paints a picture that Thomas Aquinas would repeat over a thousand years later with his own plentiful brand of monotonous and sanctimonious rubbish. In Luke and Tommy’s warped minds, saintly souls would get to spend an eternity in heaven floating around on puffy clouds, delighting in the torment of the non-faithful as they looked down their angelic noses on those stupid bastards roasting their naughty bits in hell, stick out their tongues and say, ha-ha, I told you so.

“That revenge fantasy alone screams volumes about the fragile, wounded psyches of the holier-than-thou crowd. It’s too bad psychoanalysis didn’t exist way back then as these fantasies, provoked by impotent rage, are all very Freudian. Think of all the hundreds of millions of souls in the Western world over the past two millennia that could have been saved from the self-inflicted mental cruelty this kind of thinking breeds, if only Luke and Tommy hadn’t thought up this nonsense in the first place. Maybe those two didn’t play well with others as children. Instead, they projected their resentment at being outcasts onto everyone around them, concocting mental fantasies of hellish retribution, rather than having a healthy outlet for their issues—like getting laid.”

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user