Afterlife

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2015, 10:50 AM
RE: Afterlife
(03-02-2015 02:40 PM)The Hidden Atheist Wrote:  Here goes my first post to the forum, let me know how I did Smile

This has probably been asked before on this forum, but I've noticed something in my personal life a trend that happens, especially once someone dies. Now before there are mixed ideas, I do not mind the religious being upset when someone dies their earthly life, which in my opinion is the only life you get. If they weren't to mourn, I would probably question their relationship with whoever had died. It makes sense in the world we live for people to become saddened at the death of someone, be that a family member, friend, or even an acquaintance.

But what I don't understand is this idea of being SOOO upset when a person dies if you truly accept and believe that this isn't actually the end, but that it's a new beginning. I mean, they say that they accept that an actual eternity of life is waiting after this life, and yet they mourn and are sad for weeks and months on end. Which is perfectly reasonable and makes sense to those that think this is all you get, but for them, this isn't all you get. Not only an eternity of life, but an eternity of a perfect life. I just don't get it, shouldn't those that believe that you live forever in perfect harmony celebrate at the death of a person who held the same "truth"?

Of course I think that's insane for someone to celebrate the death of someone, because you don't live after death, that's it, the end, you cease to exist. Which is something that really sucks but it's where the evidence points.

And I continue to see this underlining fear at the point of death held by the religious. They seem to be more uncertain, more shaky, more terrified at the prospect death. Key phrases I notice in my personal life for example "We won't live forever." or "Everyone dies someday, this is the only life we get, so we should live it to the fullest" or "You only live once". Now everyone of these things I agree with, but I don't see how they can agree when they accept that these phrases are technically a matter of fiction, death doesn't exist to them, it's life forever. Even if it's in hell, you still are "alive" for the rest of eternity. Conscious in forever bliss or forever agony.

It makes sense for them to be upset if they think you go to hell, I'm talking more on this idea of heaven though. Which in my own opinion doesn't seem much better than hell. You'll live there for 1 trillion years, and still somehow never get remotely close to becoming bored... I use the living a googol-seconds analogy to get a picture of what living forever would look like. A googol-seconds is quite literally hundreds of millions of quintillions of years! It's crazy to think that some people actually want to live this long, sounds like an eternity of boredom and insanity. I believe that it is an actual impossibility for a finite mind to be able to experience an eternity of events.

What my question is is whether they truly believe these things to be an accurate representation of reality? I question the scale of which they accept this idea. Personally, I think they, in a way, know that it's very unlikely for life to exist after death. There's something in the back of their mind that just tells them the reality and finality of death, and to that, they get afraid and latch onto this religious delusion. Even though they latch on religion, they still don't truly believe that they, or others will live for an eternity.

Tell me what you think, and whether my thoughts are the same as you've experienced. Do you think a majority truly believe they will live forever, or do you think that it's most likely something they want to believe, but really don't. I know everyone doesn't think this way, many probably do truly think that they'll live forever. Just in my own personal circle, I see their views of afterlife being created out of fear of what they basically know is the end to come.

I've seen both, actually, people who are at a very high level of personal peace with the death of a loved one--"they are in heaven today"--and people experiencing huge grief after, say, being married to the deceased for decades before they passed.

But the first group in particular cases I was close to was a huge witness of the truth of the afterlife.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2015, 11:04 AM
If a person who occupied your time and mind for some time dies, you are injured and you grieve. This is the process of purging the constant thoughts of said person from your mind. It is our nature to grieve when we have a big loss - it doesn't have to be death even. Divorce, losing religion and losing a job etc. can cause the same grief.

So the death is the wound and the heavenly delusions are the band aid. They co-exist.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
04-02-2015, 11:44 AM
(04-02-2015 10:50 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I've seen both, actually, people who are at a very high level of personal peace with the death of a loved one--"they are in heaven today"--and people experiencing huge grief after, say, being married to the deceased for decades before they passed.

But the first group in particular cases I was close to was a huge witness of the truth of the afterlife.

No, those cases were a huge witness of the their belief of the afterlife. It says nothing about the truth.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
04-02-2015, 12:11 PM
(04-02-2015 10:50 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I've seen both, actually, people who are at a very high level of personal peace with the death of a loved one--"they are in heaven today"--and people experiencing huge grief after, say, being married to the deceased for decades before they passed.

You are so full of shit. The most you could say is that those people were content in their delusion and nothing else. Their personal peace confirms absolutely NOTHING about an afterlife.

You are really grasping at straws here.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
04-02-2015, 12:29 PM

You really shouldn't make assumptions Q.

I was an atheist when my mother passed away (an extremely closeted one) I was actually at peace with her death. She'd suffered almost my entire life.

My family (extended and deeply religious) attributed my inner peace with knowing my mother was heaven. More than one person told me that ... As they doled out the perfunctory platitudes about how great god was and how she was "called to him."

I didn't bother to correct them, since they're free to think whatever, I simply nodded and smiled.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-02-2015, 12:39 AM
I'm actually the opposite. Since I believe the entire point in life is to die then I find it hard to feel sad about someone's passing. Its actually gotten to the point where I feel bad about not being sad.

Also I should point out that you can still be sad about someone no longer being with you even if you think that they are in heaven.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
05-02-2015, 03:25 AM
(05-02-2015 12:39 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Since I believe the entire point in life is to die

... Your belief is incorrect.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
05-02-2015, 09:50 AM
(05-02-2015 12:39 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I'm actually the opposite. Since I believe the entire point in life is to die then I find it hard to feel sad about someone's passing. Its actually gotten to the point where I feel bad about not being sad.

Also I should point out that you can still be sad about someone no longer being with you even if you think that they are in heaven.

And you wonder why we consider Christianity a death cult? Dodgy

The point of life is to live, you jackass.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-02-2015, 10:11 AM
(04-02-2015 12:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

You really shouldn't make assumptions Q.

I was an atheist when my mother passed away (an extremely closeted one) I was actually at peace with her death. She'd suffered almost my entire life.

My family (extended and deeply religious) attributed my inner peace with knowing my mother was heaven. More than one person told me that ... As they doled out the perfunctory platitudes about how great god was and how she was "called to him."

I didn't bother to correct them, since they're free to think whatever, I simply nodded and smiled.

When my mother died I was relieved that she didn't have to suffer anymore. She had lung cancer and the last year of her life was miserable. I had no notion that she went somewhere after she died. She simply didn't exist anymore and that's the very thing that made her life all the more fantastic and memorable.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-02-2015, 11:31 AM
(05-02-2015 12:39 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I'm actually the opposite. Since I believe the entire point in life is to die...

That makes as much sense as ~

The entire point in eating is to starve.

The entire point of swimming is to drown.

The entire point of driving is to crash.

Facepalm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post