Afterlife

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2015, 03:23 PM
RE: Afterlife
(05-02-2015 09:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 12:39 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I'm actually the opposite. Since I believe the entire point in life is to die then I find it hard to feel sad about someone's passing. Its actually gotten to the point where I feel bad about not being sad.

Also I should point out that you can still be sad about someone no longer being with you even if you think that they are in heaven.

And you wonder why we consider Christianity a death cult? Dodgy

The point of life is to live, you jackass.

How do you know that for certain? Is that the "meaning of life" objective you've defined? And please, state your case and your reasons without using something like "survivability enhancement from evolution". Almost everything in the food chain, including humans, is potential food. To live, many other plants and/or animals must die. Where did this become your "reason for being" to live?

I'm not trying to persecute you or assault you, but I'm curious why you personally cling to life as a life lived gives meaning to itself.

Thanks.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2015, 03:49 PM
(05-02-2015 12:39 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  ... I believe the entire point in life is to die ...

That is not a sensibly crafted sentence; if you intend what it actually says you'd be dead already, of suicide. You must mean something different. Give it some thought and come up with a better statement of what you really mean. That sentence as is works perfectly as a terrorist's credo, or a suicide bomber's mantra, not as a premise to foster cogent dialogue.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
05-02-2015, 03:55 PM
(05-02-2015 03:23 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 09:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  And you wonder why we consider Christianity a death cult? Dodgy

The point of life is to live, you jackass.

How do you know that for certain? Is that the "meaning of life" objective you've defined? And please, state your case and your reasons without using something like "survivability enhancement from evolution". Almost everything in the food chain, including humans, is potential food. To live, many other plants and/or animals must die. Where did this become your "reason for being" to live?

I'm not trying to persecute you or assault you, but I'm curious why you personally cling to life as a life lived gives meaning to itself.

Thanks.

All life strives to live.

Go ahead and try to persecute or assault me. That would be amusing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-02-2015, 03:59 PM
(05-02-2015 11:31 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 12:39 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I'm actually the opposite. Since I believe the entire point in life is to die...

That makes as much sense as ~

The entire point in eating is to starve.

The entire point of swimming is to drown.

The entire point of driving is to crash.

Facepalm

The last one can be correct... If that is, you're in a demolition derby...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
05-02-2015, 04:45 PM
(05-02-2015 03:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 11:31 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  That makes as much sense as ~

The entire point in eating is to starve.

The entire point of swimming is to drown.

The entire point of driving is to crash.

Facepalm

The last one can be correct... If that is, you're in a demolition derby...

Big Grin

Rubbin’ is racin’

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-02-2015, 12:55 PM
(05-02-2015 03:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 03:23 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  How do you know that for certain? Is that the "meaning of life" objective you've defined? And please, state your case and your reasons without using something like "survivability enhancement from evolution". Almost everything in the food chain, including humans, is potential food. To live, many other plants and/or animals must die. Where did this become your "reason for being" to live?

Thanks.

All life strives to live.

It would be more correct to say all life lives but humans also strive and live. Thus, the gospel and redemption.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
06-02-2015, 01:48 PM
(06-02-2015 12:55 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 03:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  All life strives to live.

It would be more correct to say all life lives but humans also strive and live. Thus, the gospel and redemption.

No, actually, it wouldn't. Have you never witnessed life striving to survive?
Turtles digging their way out of the ground after hatching?
Baby birds screaming for food?
Plants cracking rocks?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
06-02-2015, 02:12 PM

Word salad so as to introduce “sacred texts”.

Fail.

[Image: word-salad11.jpg]

"Redemption and gospel, thus live and strive. Also humans live life but to say life lives would be more correct.” Blink

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
06-02-2015, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2015 02:27 PM by TheInquisition.)

Thus leprechauns and rainbows.

[Image: evil-leprechaun-image-by-irish-cole-clan...cket-1.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
06-02-2015, 02:36 PM
When I die I want people to party and have orgies next to my coffin (or wherever society wants to bury me, I don't care)

I think it's hard at first to accept the concept of no afterlife, but I also think it is a dangerous, really dangerous idea that drives people to do things in life that they wouldn't do otherwise, for example:
- Wasting too much time on prayer to go to heaven
- Depression out of hell fear
- Abstaining from simple pleasures like food, sex or even alcohol
- In some cases, committing violence, terrorism and other crimes thinking you'll go to heaven
- Overall caring too much about what comes next instead of worrying about this life

I think the worse thing as an atheist is that I realize all the suffering there is in the world will not grant people an afterlife, everyone and every species that lived a painful, enslaving, oppressive and sad life will go to the same place as me - Nowhere. I'm privileged because I live in a first world country and live in an era where technology and laws allow me to have a reasonable life quality even if I'm not a genius or a rich fucker, but many people, today and in the past, have suffered in many imaginable and unimaginable ways; it's something I have trouble accepting; religion tells you that if you suffer on earth you can go to heaven, but the truth is people who have been in terrible pain will not go anywhere. Does anyone else feel this way?

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Blackout's post