Afterlife

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2015, 05:17 PM
RE: Afterlife
The guy who wrote the book (bible) was only a part time scribe. His day job was hauling chamber pots.

Think about how much that explains.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
10-02-2015, 05:17 PM
(10-02-2015 04:58 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Anybody want to bet "q" NEVER shares those bible verses that point out that we live on a planet?????

They're secret -- only him and Jesus know where they are. And Jesus ain't talking.....

I'm thinking that he never read the thing. I suspect he's just taking some authority's word for it. I could be wrong but that does seem to be the trend with many religious folks.
10-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Your suspicions are probably well founded....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
10-02-2015, 05:20 PM
(10-02-2015 05:17 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The guy who wrote the book (bible) was only a part time scribe. His day job was hauling chamber pots.

Think about how much that explains.....

Big Grin

So write what you know?
In this case the writer knew shit?
Yup. That does explain a lot...
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
10-02-2015, 07:05 PM
(10-02-2015 05:13 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I say this not to argue but to be clear.
The earth is not hung nor is it held in place by nothing. As I'm sure you know it's held in orbit buy the Suns gravity. I'm just surprised that god didn't know that when he wrote his book.

Good point.

And to be clear as well, my mention of it was only to acknowledge that Q was right about that being stated in the Bible.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
11-02-2015, 03:39 AM
(06-02-2015 02:36 PM)Blackout Wrote:  When I die I want people to party and have orgies next to my coffin (or wherever society wants to bury me, I don't care)

I think it's hard at first to accept the concept of no afterlife, but I also think it is a dangerous, really dangerous idea that drives people to do things in life that they wouldn't do otherwise, for example:
- Wasting too much time on prayer to go to heaven
- Depression out of hell fear
- Abstaining from simple pleasures like food, sex or even alcohol
- In some cases, committing violence, terrorism and other crimes thinking you'll go to heaven
- Overall caring too much about what comes next instead of worrying about this life

I think the worse thing as an atheist is that I realize all the suffering there is in the world will not grant people an afterlife, everyone and every species that lived a painful, enslaving, oppressive and sad life will go to the same place as me - Nowhere. I'm privileged because I live in a first world country and live in an era where technology and laws allow me to have a reasonable life quality even if I'm not a genius or a rich fucker, but many people, today and in the past, have suffered in many imaginable and unimaginable ways; it's something I have trouble accepting; religion tells you that if you suffer on earth you can go to heaven, but the truth is people who have been in terrible pain will not go anywhere. Does anyone else feel this way?
Love the empathy this entails. Yes I feel it strongly. The inequity can be maddening, and is a great motivator to assist those in need. Thumbsup

This desire for cosmic justice, in conjunction with fear of death, is undoubtedly an important explanation for the invention of religious belief. You hear it all the time with the Hitler references. Nope, Hitler is doing just as well as dead aunt Susie.
11-02-2015, 03:47 AM
(10-02-2015 12:10 PM)The Hidden Atheist Wrote:  
Quote:I think the worse thing as an atheist is that I realize all the suffering there is in the world will not grant people an afterlife, everyone and every species that lived a painful, enslaving, oppressive and sad life will go to the same place as me - Nowhere. I'm privileged because I live in a first world country and live in an era where technology and laws allow me to have a reasonable life quality even if I'm not a genius or a rich fucker, but many people, today and in the past, have suffered in many imaginable and unimaginable ways; it's something I have trouble accepting; religion tells you that if you suffer on earth you can go to heaven, but the truth is people who have been in terrible pain will not go anywhere. Does anyone else feel this way?

You're right though, it does suck that everyone goes to the same place once they die, nowhere. But I think the more we realize that, the more people understand that, I think that can drive us to make others lives more happy and less sad. All of us knowing this is all we get may let us become more appreciative of each others lives and create a more healthy and productive society.

True, beautiful. It's encouraging that what seems to give life the most meaning is to help others have meaningful lives. It's a great thing about being an educator. To your original question, awesome first post and topic! I dig the depth!m Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
11-02-2015, 07:43 AM
I've said it once and I'll say it again...

[Image: It%2Bs%2Bthe%2Bguy%2Bfrom%2Bthe%2Bhistor...9c4387.jpg]

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
11-02-2015, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 10:09 AM by Full Circle.)
(10-02-2015 03:08 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 11:22 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Your quote:
The Q Continuum Wrote:
1) the adherent is misunderstanding the scripture 2) over time, as has happened many times before, eventually scientists will reach a new understanding and change the science to match the scriptures.

And no, that doesn’t help and it doesn’t clarify. Now you are trying to back peddle and give me a different misleading explanation.

I want you to be very clear because I really want to understand what your are saying and claiming.

So if you would:

Are you or are you not making a claim that scientists have changed their understanding of science BECAUSE of scripture? Yes or no?

Are you or are you not claiming that because of scripture scientists “changed” the science? Yes or no?

Your new claim: “change the science which then matched the scriptures”? What does that even mean? Are you claiming that scripture led science?

I really dislike innuendo and imprecise claims that make it appear that science takes the lead from scripture unless, of course, that really is what you’re saying.

Is that what you’re saying?

Yes, thanks for letting me clarify. Just like the flat earth/round earth example presented above. The Bible says the Earth is a sphere and suspended in a void/vacuum/"hanging on nothing". Just like that. And of course, the "flat earth-demons will eat Christopher Columbus" group is... wait for it... the Roman "church".

As for scripture leading science, sure, it happens. Gregor Mendel's taxonomy revolved in part around what the Bible--and now science--calls "kinds" of animals. The English Bible influenced the language and the same with Luther's German Bible. The Bachs were influenced in music and symphony/harmony/melody take their cues from the music worship of the Bible, etc.

And I don't want to argue with you about this or fight with you--though I am sincerely sorry you were angry with me for what you felt was ducking the question. I'm more than aware (and grateful) to live in the Christianized West, the West influenced by Judaism as well. But I'm most concerned at TTA with how the Bible influences souls, not just science.

See Rik’s and Impulse’s responses, they refute your new assertions in totality.

As for simple Yes and No you just can’t do it can you? You are still ducking the questions.

I see the problem here, you are hopelessly deluded that scripture is true and that we owe all to it including advances in science because of wishful-thinking.

The thing is Q, you’re right that we don’t have to argue and fight...as long as you STOP saying unfounded, unsupported, uncited crap. As long as you continue doing so on this site I’ll challenge you at every turn.

Leave your “feels” at the pew Q, this forum requires analytical thinking.

EDIT: The more I think about this the more incensed I get. Preach whatever you want to your congregation, I won’t be in the pews yelling “bullshit” at every turn. BUT this isn’t your congregation, you came here for your own personal reasons, thinking that you can obfuscate, beguile and mislead. I’m not part of your flock of sheeple Q, I can think for myself, thank you very much. Be prepared to be called on every unsupported flight-of-fancy you espouse.

“And I don’t want to argue with you about this or fight with you” - wtf did you think was going to happen? At the very least be realistic...wait...never mind. Ahhh fuck it. Another perfect example of totally unrealistic expectations, in this case by both sides. Dodgy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
11-02-2015, 11:19 AM
(10-02-2015 10:29 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  ... Therefore the purpose of life is to achieve the Beatific Vision which we can only do via dying. Therefore the purpose of life is to die.

I see. And the reason you're still alive must just be procrastination. Although procrastination isn't mindless, it's most of the time a case of putting off a perceived unpleasantness in order to keep the present a pleasant experience. Hence the Beatific Vision must not appeal to you as much as some other things - which would therefore mean that, for now, you're staying alive for purposes other than Beatific Vision.

Or am I wrong, and you're no longer with us? If you're still here making posts in a forum, it follows that making posts in a forum matters more to you than Beatific Vision.

If it's any help, I certainly value posting in a forum as more pleasant than Beatific Vision. For myself, I'm pretty sure just about ANY experience, with the possible exception of being impaled through the rectum on a pole, would be superior to Beatific Vision, but I put a high value on my life.