Afterlife conundrum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2015, 03:07 PM
RE: Afterlife conundrum
I might need to impose this rule on myself:

As soon as the insufferably, tediously—and yes, pleasantly—certain Q contributes to a thread, I stop reading and go on to something else.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
24-02-2015, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2015 04:25 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-02-2015 01:30 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(23-02-2015 08:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Not sure why but I find this exuberance bordering on the giddy a tad disturbing. Feels like TMI.

Gosh, I'm sorry. "Lord Jesus, my joy is too much information for this atheist, who obviously lacks same. Please tone down my exuberance ..."

Yes please. Yes Public displays of affection between couples are uncomfortable enough, public displays of affection for Jesus is like masturbating in public uncomfortable.

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-02-2015, 10:19 AM
(24-02-2015 01:51 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(24-02-2015 01:31 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  What is the length of the Sumerian myth you are thinking of? It takes me quite a while to read every creation account in the scriptures...

It's become apparent to me, knowledge is something you care nothing about, you simply create your own version of whatever fantasy you want to believe by cherry-picking information to death. It will always point to your weird little Jesus-world no matter what.

Is that your final answer or would you like to phone a friend? I think you are angry because you understand the point I was making about the lengthy, rich details of the scriptures as compared with Gilgamesh, Q and other ancient myths...

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2015, 10:25 AM
(25-02-2015 10:19 AM)Delusion Boy Wrote:  
(24-02-2015 01:51 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  It's become apparent to me, knowledge is something you care nothing about, you simply create your own version of whatever fantasy you want to believe by cherry-picking information to death. It will always point to your weird little Jesus-world no matter what.

Is that your final answer or would you like to phone a friend? I think you are angry because you understand the point I was making about the lengthy, rich details of the scriptures as compared with Gilgamesh, Q and other ancient myths...

Yeah I'm done with your delusion. Enjoy your little playland.

[Image: 44c.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
29-03-2015, 03:37 PM
(18-02-2015 12:40 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  But I've never heard or read anyone discussing the other side of this. Would it be fair to receive infinite bliss for finite mediocre compliance? Everyone could do better while they're alive. There's always something more you could have done. If being imperfect just once, like not believing in Jesus, could land you in the lake of fire for all of eternity, then shouldn't you have to be perfect to earn eternal happiness? And even that would be imbalanced.

You are right about one thing. No one deserves Heaven. We have all sinned and deserve to be condemned to Hell.

The only reason it is possible for anyone to get to Heaven at all is that access to Heaven is not something we attain by what we do but is a free gift given by God to anyone who repents of his sins and puts his faith in Jesus. The reason Jesus died was to atone for our sins so we could enter Heaven.

Access to Heaven is a free gift but those who receive this gift will be rewarded for the work they have done while on earth.

Quote:For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.
(1 Corinthians 3:11-15 ESV)

Everyone who puts his faith in Jesus will enter Heaven but not all who do so will be on the same level. Entrance to Heaven is a free gift available to everyone; the status of those who receive this gift will depend on the works they did and on how they live after their salvation.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
29-03-2015, 03:55 PM
(18-02-2015 12:40 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I mean, do these people believe there are degrees of bliss in heaven? Do some people have it better than others? Maybe some have wings while others have wheels on their feet?

Every time you hear a bell ring, an angel got his wings. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-03-2015, 04:12 PM
(29-03-2015 03:37 PM)theophilus Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 12:40 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  But I've never heard or read anyone discussing the other side of this. Would it be fair to receive infinite bliss for finite mediocre compliance? Everyone could do better while they're alive. There's always something more you could have done. If being imperfect just once, like not believing in Jesus, could land you in the lake of fire for all of eternity, then shouldn't you have to be perfect to earn eternal happiness? And even that would be imbalanced.

You are right about one thing. No one deserves Heaven. We have all sinned and deserve to be condemned to Hell.

The only reason it is possible for anyone to get to Heaven at all is that access to Heaven is not something we attain by what we do but is a free gift given by God to anyone who repents of his sins and puts his faith in Jesus. The reason Jesus died was to atone for our sins so we could enter Heaven.

Access to Heaven is a free gift but those who receive this gift will be rewarded for the work they have done while on earth.

Do you have any actual evidence for any of that? Consider

Quote:
Quote:For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.
(1 Corinthians 3:11-15 ESV)

Everyone who puts his faith in Jesus will enter Heaven but not all who do so will be on the same level. Entrance to Heaven is a free gift available to everyone; the status of those who receive this gift will depend on the works they did and on how they live after their salvation.

'Free gift" depends on works. Right. Nice contradiction.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
29-03-2015, 04:52 PM
(29-03-2015 03:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 12:40 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I mean, do these people believe there are degrees of bliss in heaven? Do some people have it better than others? Maybe some have wings while others have wheels on their feet?

Every time you hear a bell ring, an angel got his wings. Tongue

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-03-2015, 06:26 PM
A hierarchy in heaven? What does that even mean? Do the upper class saints get free courtside seats to the Jesus seminars with all-access passes to bread and wine buffets?
[+] 1 user Likes Pickup_shonuff's post
29-03-2015, 07:06 PM
(29-03-2015 06:26 PM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  A hierarchy in heaven? What does that even mean? Do the upper class saints get free courtside seats to the Jesus seminars with all-access passes to bread and wine buffets?

It's all about the wings, no wine. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post