Afterlife.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2012, 10:10 PM
RE: Afterlife.
Wow, what did he do for you? I asked him once for perfectly done bacon but he didn't come through.
[/quote]

He died for me. The least I can do is live for Him.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 10:17 PM
(09-01-2012 09:46 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  Well said. For me the benefit for now is living my life for my Savior and trying to be all I can be for Him and telling everyone I know what He has done for me

Me too, brother, me too, It's just that I'm starting to think that the Savior is us.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
09-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Fair point. I, however, am not there yet. But life does get depressing and I can understand that feeling sometime. But I couldn't hold to that feeling and belief for very long.
09-01-2012, 10:25 PM
(09-01-2012 10:10 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  He died for me. The least I can do is live for Him.

How do you know that? What is your evidence?
If you believe without evidence, how do you live without self-respect?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2012, 10:27 PM
I once told a friend who asked me a similar question, "I live because I have nothing better to do!"

At first he thought it was a depressing answer, but after I explained it he saw that it's really not.

Life is the most incredible phenomenon in the universe. Just the fact that I'm conscious fills me with wonder. I have no reason to believe there's an afterlife but that's just all the more reason to enjoy the small amount of time I've got. Even when I'm feeling my most depressed I know that I'll eventually get over it and that there's the potential for many more awesome moments to come in my life.

Besides, asking your question is kind of like asking, "How can you enjoy that piece of pie if you know you're going to run out?" Tongue
[+] 8 users Like Ben's post
09-01-2012, 10:28 PM
My life amazes me, I don't need to be encouraged to live or believe in something else to feel this way. Out of this sleeping slumberous universe is tiny little me and a consciousness has been pin pointed and I am able to be awake and realize myself and the things around me. How precious. How beautiful. I value everything I get to experience and relish in awe at all the things life offers. To love, be loved, to feel happy and experience the opposite, suffering, so that I can truly value the really good things. The human experience is a brilliant and magnificent one. I am sure you feel this is a gift from God, but an atheist just sees it as a gift in itself. I am not excited to die, but I am not scared either because I am a part of all this before 'I' am here, during and after. Simply amazing!
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
09-01-2012, 10:32 PM
We have to have faith where there is no evidence. My evidence is my faith and the fact that I am still here is what I believe on. There is something in the back of my mind that argues away God but it doesn't last. Many questions I have would go unanswered. For one, why do people live life in all its cruelty if there is no point to it? I would have checked out by now if I felt there was no purpose. And Miracles in my own life are most of my evidence. I was in a terrible car accident where I flipped the car multiple times and took out a fence and a tree and it should have killed me but did not. I just knew I was going to die but then all of a sudden I knew I wasn't going to die. I obviously did not and all I can use to explain that away is God spared me for some reason. No one knows what that may be and it frustrates me but I nonetheless believe it. Can you tell me why I am still here if not for God?
09-01-2012, 10:34 PM
(09-01-2012 10:32 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  We have to have faith where there is no evidence. My evidence is my faith and the fact that I am still here is what I believe on. There is something in the back of my mind that argues away God but it doesn't last. Many questions I have would go unanswered. For one, why do people live life in all its cruelty if there is no point to it? I would have checked out by now if I felt there was no purpose. And Miracles in my own life are most of my evidence. I was in a terrible car accident where I flipped the car multiple times and took out a fence and a tree and it should have killed me but did not. I just knew I was going to die but then all of a sudden I knew I wasn't going to die. I obviously did not and all I can use to explain that away is God spared me for some reason. No one knows what that may be and it frustrates me but I nonetheless believe it. Can you tell me why I am still here if not for God?

Yes. Countless engineers and scientists working tirelessly to design the best airbags, seat belts, and other safety features of your car. Wink
09-01-2012, 10:34 PM
(09-01-2012 10:10 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  He died for me. The least I can do is live for Him.

Oh that old trope. Sorry, thought you had something there. I think using this live a stepping stone towards another if silly. If you want to take a backwards version of Pascal's wager, think about it this way: I'd rather enjoy this life in case there's nothing after than waste it going to church, not having sex and eating stale christ crackers.

In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.

--Stephen Jay Gould
[+] 2 users Like scientician's post
09-01-2012, 10:37 PM
(09-01-2012 10:23 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  Fair point. I, however, am not there yet. But life does get depressing and I can understand that feeling sometime. But I couldn't hold to that feeling and belief for very long.

Sure you could. ... tain't hard.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post