Afterlife.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2012, 10:38 PM
RE: Afterlife.
(09-01-2012 10:32 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  We have to have faith where there is no evidence. My evidence is my faith and the fact that I am still here is what I believe on. There is something in the back of my mind that argues away God but it doesn't last. Many questions I have would go unanswered. For one, why do people live life in all its cruelty if there is no point to it? I would have checked out by now if I felt there was no purpose. And Miracles in my own life are most of my evidence. I was in a terrible car accident where I flipped the car multiple times and took out a fence and a tree and it should have killed me but did not. I just knew I was going to die but then all of a sudden I knew I wasn't going to die. I obviously did not and all I can use to explain that away is God spared me for some reason. No one knows what that may be and it frustrates me but I nonetheless believe it. Can you tell me why I am still here if not for God?

Sorry to hear about the crash. But, you think God saved you from a car crash that he could have prevented? I've had my share of close calls and I'm quite certain that if there were a god than he's pretty much a huge douche.

In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.

--Stephen Jay Gould
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 10:40 PM
(09-01-2012 10:32 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  We have to have faith where there is no evidence. My evidence is my faith and the fact that I am still here is what I believe on.

No, we don't have to have faith where there is no evidence.
Your faith is not evidence of the existence of God or an afterlife. Please look up 'evidence'.

Quote: There is something in the back of my mind that argues away God but it doesn't last. Many questions I have would go unanswered. For one, why do people live life in all its cruelty if there is no point to it? I would have checked out by now if I felt there was no purpose.

That's very sad. You can find your own purpose and not be so lazy and unimaginative to have to get your purpose from someone else.

Quote:And Miracles in my own life are most of my evidence. I was in a terrible car accident where I flipped the car multiple times and took out a fence and a tree and it should have killed me but did not. I just knew I was going to die but then all of a sudden I knew I wasn't going to die. I obviously did not and all I can use to explain that away is God spared me for some reason. No one knows what that may be and it frustrates me but I nonetheless believe it. Can you tell me why I am still here if not for God?

You survived - you are very fortunate. There is no objective reason to chalk it up as a 'miracle', or that God has a purpose for you. Man up and find your own purpose.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
09-01-2012, 10:45 PM
(09-01-2012 10:32 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  We have to have faith where there is no evidence. My evidence is my faith and the fact that I am still here is what I believe on. There is something in the back of my mind that argues away God but it doesn't last. Many questions I have would go unanswered. For one, why do people live life in all its cruelty if there is no point to it? I would have checked out by now if I felt there was no purpose. And Miracles in my own life are most of my evidence. I was in a terrible car accident where I flipped the car multiple times and took out a fence and a tree and it should have killed me but did not. I just knew I was going to die but then all of a sudden I knew I wasn't going to die. I obviously did not and all I can use to explain that away is God spared me for some reason. No one knows what that may be and it frustrates me but I nonetheless believe it. Can you tell me why I am still here if not for God?

I bet a series of scientific factors led to you living after your car accident, just like billions of people live after the big bang. Things aligned in the right way and it works out. Amazing and awe-inspiring, but not miraculous. I am glad for you that you are still alive. Smile

You are right, there is depression, war, suicide, famine, murder, bullying, and the list of suffering goes on. What is the point? Well... why doesn't God stop it? Why don't you just die right away to get passed all this suffering and pain? How is this loving? How can we live peace when it happens over and over?

Nature can be cruel, it's true. I guess everyone, for themselves, has to wonder and decide if it's worth going on and living. If the good outweighs the bad. If the experience is benificial. If their desire for this life is still here.

Why not just leave, and go to heaven? I bet it's because something inside you is telling you to hold on with all you have to this life.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
09-01-2012, 10:48 PM
(09-01-2012 10:10 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  
Quote:Wow, what did he do for you? I asked him once for perfectly done bacon but he didn't come through.

He died for me. The least I can do is live for Him.

If I wrote a disgusting book full of racism, sexism, homophobia, misogyny, and infanticide, told you I wanted you to live by it, yelled "I'm doing this for you!" then blew my brains out, would you spend the rest of your life living by my book?

And if you argue that it was to save you from "original sin," you have to consider the source of such a thing. Where did original sin come from? The guy who just died for you made it up. It's the same technique a snake oil salesman uses.

Step 1. Inform you of a disease that you have that is undetectable but is super serious.
Step 2. Claim that he alone has the cure for such an invisible disease.
Step 3. Profit.

...collect underpants.

Warning, you are about to be assaulted by lots of atheists trying to be your unholy savior. We tend to swarm on new forum theists in our excitement. Just take it all one post at a time.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
09-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Hey, Wierdo.

I'm glad you decided against checking out because for a self-identified "kid" you're pretty all right Cool

Everyone here has it easy. You believe in the afterlife. Most of the Atheists here don't (that's right, bitches, don't just hide behind your, "no, there's just no evidence for it. You don't believe in it. Admit it and we can all have lunch). But me, I'm an Agnostic. I don't know if there is or not. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to plan my day?

I'm also glad that you embrace your doubt instead of pretending it isn't there. You're a brave one, you.

I too came perilously close to getting smoked in a car accident. I think it's pretty miraculous that I survived, but I've never considered it a miracle.

For myself, I don't view my purpose as worshiping, but I understand the importance of purpose and the power of purpose. We all need purpose. Like Agent Smith said:
Quote:There is no escaping reason; no denying purpose. Because as we both know, without purpose, we would not exist. It is purpose that created us. Purpose that connects us. Purpose that pulls us. That guides us. That drives us. It is purpose that defines us. Purpose that binds us.

I find myself envious of your clarity of purpose.

ON EDIT: Chaz, you're being rude.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 3 users Like Ghost's post
09-01-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm not an atheist, but I play one on TV.

(09-01-2012 10:32 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  We have to have faith where there is no evidence.

This is the weakest argument you can give in the midst of non-believers. Proof without evidence is scoffable.

Quote:My evidence is my faith and the fact that I am still here is what I believe on.

The opposite could be said for those that don't believe in God. Do you think that you're the only person to ever think that "you're not suppose to be here"? In fact, this revelation has caused many to see that there was no such thing as a god, much less a Christian God.

Quote:There is something in the back of my mind that argues away God but it doesn't last.

That's called common sense. You need to start listening to it.

Quote:Many questions I have would go unanswered. For one, why do people live life in all its cruelty if there is no point to it?

What? You mean like every living life form alive? All life struggles to live for what? What reason? Animals, like ourselves, who experience love, empathy, emotional pain and distress, happiness and sadness, all strive for life and the continuation of our species. Do you think that this could be part of our evolved genetic code?

Quote:I would have checked out by now if I felt there was no purpose.

No, you wouldn't have. Your primitive trait called empathy wouldn't let you. If your other primitive trait called selfishness overpowered your empathetic side, then yes; however, from the simple fact that you're still alive, it shows that your empathy is stronger.

Quote:And Miracles in my own life are most of my evidence. I was in a terrible car accident where I flipped the car multiple times and took out a fence and a tree and it should have killed me but did not. I just knew I was going to die but then all of a sudden I knew I wasn't going to die. I obviously did not and all I can use to explain that away is God spared me for some reason. No one knows what that may be and it frustrates me but I nonetheless believe it. Can you tell me why I am still here if not for God?

That's a pretty bold statement. What about the engineers that designed the car? That takes some audacity to discount all the tireless YEARS that humans spent developing safety for automobiles. It was because of the genius of some that you are still alive. You should be thanking them

PS - just preparing you for this place

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 8 users Like kingschosen's post
09-01-2012, 11:02 PM
(09-01-2012 10:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  PS - just preparing you for this place

Lol.

I do feel like we're being a little too hard on him. Remember, we're all on the same side here: we're all looking for the truth!
[+] 2 users Like Ben's post
09-01-2012, 11:05 PM
(09-01-2012 11:02 PM)Ben Wrote:  
(09-01-2012 10:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  PS - just preparing you for this place

Lol.

I do feel like we're being a little too hard on him. Remember, we're all on the same side here: we're all looking for the truth!

Too hard??? No way.

Better that I hit him with what he's going to be asked now rather than later.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
09-01-2012, 11:05 PM
(09-01-2012 09:40 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  I respect your opinion. To answer your question I am more than happy to worship and serve my Lord because without Him I would not exist. Life is too harsh for me to want to live if there were no God. He loved me enough to give His life for me and Now I am living for Him for all eternity. Whatever He asks of me I will try to do for as long as I have breath. I would gladly worship Him for all eternity if for no other reason than because I don't understand him. He is infinite and my mind is finite and even though I have a brain I can't wrap it around this Loving God.

My turn with the piñata stick

The line of reasoning that you possess can easily progress as follows.
Jesus Christ died for your sins so that you can go to heaven.
Because of this you owe your life to him and must follow his wishes completely
God says that heretics and homosexuals are abominations and must be put to death
So you must now follow your god’s command. You have no option.
Your opinion doesn’t matter in this. God will condemn you for not following his will.
You may be a nice person who wouldn’t hurt a fly, but this is not your call.

If you say that even if god commanded you to burn a heretic alive at the stake you would not do it, then you are either a liar or your faith is phony.
Are you really a Christian?
Will you follow god's law?
Answer the question truthfully from the heart.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
09-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Hey, Thatweirdkid i think some good ole' Hitch might get your thoughts provoked
Im interested to see your reaction to this video it might make you think from a different perspective
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ORn-wmhliU

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus