Afterlife.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2012, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 03:43 PM by germanyt.)
RE: Afterlife.
(10-01-2012 08:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-01-2012 11:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-01-2012 10:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm not an atheist, but I play one on TV.

KC... are you sure you're not? You act like a natural. Good actors get inside the skin of those they portray, feel their emotions, think like them. Aren't you scared you'll get stuck as an atheist one day?

haha

I was a thespian for years. But no, in order to better my defense, I have to know my opponent. I'm thinking I would make a great double agent.

You'll just wind up getting type cast and be a washed up 40 year old wannabe atheist.

(10-01-2012 02:53 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 02:50 PM)Denicio Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 02:34 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  And what I mean is people that don't believe in God are going to find evidence and say that it proves there isn't a God.

Wrong again! Atheist dont go around trying to prove there isnt a god. We simply dont believe in any of the 20000+ gods. Its YOUR responsiblity to PROVE THERE IS A GOD. Dont you see?

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"

If i claimed there was a giganitc nipple floating above the suns surface and i had a really old book about it...would you buy it hook line and sinker? Or would you require me to PROVE such a claim?

We see no evidence, so we dont believe. If You invoke faith...well, faith is the absense of logic/reason. Having FAITH in something does not necessarily mean its true.

D

So what you are saying is rather than you proving to me there is no God I need to prove to you that there is a God? I see.

I know it sucks for you but yes. That is exactly what you have to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic...n_of_proof

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2012, 04:37 PM
(10-01-2012 03:36 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(09-01-2012 10:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm not an atheist, but I play one on TV.

KC... are you sure you're not? You act like a natural. Good actors get inside the skin of those they portray, feel their emotions, think like them. Aren't you scared you'll get stuck as an atheist one day?

haha

I was a thespian for years. But no, in order to better my defense, I have to know my opponent. I'm thinking I would make a great double agent.

You'll just wind up getting type cast and be a washed up 40 year old wannabe atheist.

(10-01-2012 02:34 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  And what I mean is people that don't believe in God are going to find evidence and say that it proves there isn't a God.

Wrong again! Atheist dont go around trying to prove there isnt a god. We simply dont believe in any of the 20000+ gods. Its YOUR responsiblity to PROVE THERE IS A GOD. Dont you see?

If i claimed there was a giganitc nipple floating above the suns surface and i had a really old book about it...would you buy it hook line and sinker? Or would you require me to PROVE such a claim?

We see no evidence, so we dont believe. If You invoke faith...well, faith is the absense of logic/reason. Having FAITH in something does not necessarily mean its true.

D

So what you are saying is rather than you proving to me there is no God I need to prove to you that there is a God? I see.

Specifically, I have no proof that all can see for God and I know you probably already know this. What I do have is my own personal proof, but I know it doesn't help anyone else.
[+] 1 user Likes Thatweirdkid's post
10-01-2012, 04:49 PM
(10-01-2012 04:37 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  Specifically, I have no proof that all can see for God and I know you probably already know this. What I do have is my own personal proof, but I know it doesn't help anyone else.

This is where we get back to choosing one's words. The phrase "my own personal proof" is problematic because you are using the word 'proof' in a way that is at odds with its definition.

I believe that people have experiences that convince them that God exists, but they can not convincingly convey those experiences to others (look at kingschosen's posts), so they are not proof to anyone else.

But it seems you already know that.Cool

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
10-01-2012, 04:50 PM

(10-01-2012 04:37 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 03:36 PM)germanyt Wrote:  

haha

Wrong again! Atheist dont go around trying to prove there isnt a god. We simply dont believe in any of the 20000+ gods. Its YOUR responsibility to PROVE THERE IS A GOD. Dont you see?

If i claimed there was a gigantic nipple floating above the suns surface and i had a really old book about it...would you buy it hook line and sinker? Or would you require me to PROVE such a claim?

We see no evidence, so we dont believe. If You invoke faith...well, faith is the absence of logic/reason. Having FAITH in something does not necessarily mean its true.

D

Sspecifically, I have no proof that all can see for God and I know you probably already know this. What I do have is my own personal proof, but I know it doesn't help anyone else.

To help you out a bit, the experience i had when i got saved was quite the soul stirring experience. My heart fluttered and i seemed somewhat lighter than air (so to speak).
I've also had that experience when my kids were born and most recently the exact same feelings came raining down on me at the Roger Waters The Wall concert in Houston. I am not making light of these 'personal' experiences, but sharing that they come in other forms as well.
People in other religions claim the same experiences too.

Hey, keep your MIND OPEN and keep asking questions. I am 42 and would have loved the interwebz when i was a teen. Jeesh if i had access to such a forum and had people show me a few things....it would have saved many many years of grief and guilt.

Hopefully we can at least broaden your perspective a bit.

Check this out! This video humbles me every time. How small and truly insignificant we really are (and i am TOTALLY fine with that concept too!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjF_7ensg

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Denicio's post
10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
(10-01-2012 04:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 04:37 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  Specifically, I have no proof that all can see for God and I know you probably already know this. What I do have is my own personal proof, but I know it doesn't help anyone else.

This is where we get back to choosing one's words. The phrase "my own personal proof" is problematic because you are using the word 'proof' in a way that is at odds with its definition.

I believe that people have experiences that convince them that God exists, but they can not convincingly convey those experiences to others (look at kingschosen's posts), so they are not proof to anyone else.

Chas is referencing this thread.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-01-2012, 04:54 PM
(09-01-2012 08:56 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  As a Theist I believe there is an afterlife. What I am curious to find out is what motivates an Atheist to live their life and what they have to look forward to? If death is the end then why do we even have life? Seems pretty pointless. Open to all views. Please enlighten me.

All life forms on Earth die, it's a fact and there's no escaping it. All life forms provide food for other life forms when they die. That is part of the cycle.

As an atheist, I love my life and being part of life on this planet. What motivates me to live my life is firstly the inbuilt survival mechanism. I need to eat, to have shelter and protect myself against danger.

After that, my motivation is to enjoy each day knowing that one day it will all end and I don't want to regret not having enjoyed my life.

Being me, I also need people to love and receive love from then in return. My family fills this need.

We have life because it's part of this planet. It's not pointless, it's Nature.

There is no evidence whatsoever of an afterlife, so it's highly doubtful that it exists, just the same as gods, highly doubtful that they exist because there has never been any evidence that they do. If a god or god exists, it's certainly not any god or gods that we have ever heard of, as they've all been invented by humans and a real god wouldn't need to be invented.

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
[+] 1 user Likes Organon's post
10-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Quote:This is where we get back to choosing one's words. The phrase "my own personal proof" is problematic because you are using the word 'proof' in a way that is at odds with its definition.

Okay, evidence that convinces me is indeed what I meant. It's funny how you know what I mean half the time when I don't Lol
10-01-2012, 05:12 PM
(10-01-2012 05:01 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  Okay, evidence that convinces me is indeed what I meant. It's funny how you know what I mean half the time when I don't Lol

Have you read Buddy Christ's Bible critique yet? It may stir up some good questions. It's in the Atheism and Theism section in the stickies.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
10-01-2012, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 05:19 PM by Erxomai.)
(10-01-2012 05:01 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  
Quote:This is where we get back to choosing one's words. The phrase "my own personal proof" is problematic because you are using the word 'proof' in a way that is at odds with its definition.

Okay, evidence that convinces me is indeed what I meant. It's funny how you know what I mean half the time when I don't Lol

Chas is God, didn't you know?

I had a discovery similar to Denicio's. I spent the better part of my life as a hard-core True Beleiver. I felt God so strongly in my life. The evidence that lead to my belief in God felt real and true and I couldn't be shaken in my belief, even by someone like Chas. But as the blinders began to come off, more slowly than most, I realized, like Denicio, that the things I felt were from God's presence were actually just feelings. The closeness I felt in worshiping Jesus thru really good music was the same feeling I got when I heard David Gilmore nail an incredibly awesome solo on Dark Side of the Moon. The joy I experienced in the Body of Believers was the same feeling I had at an Iron Maiden concert. When your mind is programmed to think what you are feeling is God, then of course you're going to believe that feeling can only be from God because it feels so good. Spend some time researching how the brain works and you'll soon find everything can be reduced to chemical reactions. The brain is a powerful thing. More powerful than most Christians recognize. From my experience, True Believers start with the premise that there is a God and they look for any piece of evidence they can find and attribute it to their initial belief that there is a God. If you instead start with the hypothesis that there is no God, you'll attribute fewer things to the supernatural and more things are explained by common sense and science. Of course, you can still end up like KC who went from agnostic to Christian, but he's a special case, and by special, I mean he should be playing in the Special Olympics. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
10-01-2012, 05:24 PM
(10-01-2012 04:50 PM)Denicio Wrote:  Check this out! This video humbles me every time. How small and truly insignificant we really are (and i am TOTALLY fine with that concept too!)

Cudos on the video. That one stirs so much emotion in me it's nuts. Talk about perspective.

I love the line (and I don't remember who said it and when) that goes something like:

And after God created the universe and the galaxies, the Horsehead and the Eagle Nebulae he said, "Ok! Now I'll go tell some desert people on Earth how to behave."

In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.

--Stephen Jay Gould
[+] 2 users Like scientician's post