Afterlife.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2012, 11:45 AM
RE: Afterlife.
(12-01-2012 10:40 AM)lucradis Wrote:  An afterlife to me seems kind of pointless and empty as it robs all meaning in the life we have today. It steals the confidence of death. Why should I care if any o my family die is I just see them
Later?
I love my family so much and I try to show them how much I love them every day because I will never get another chance when they die or if I die.

The other side of that argument is, if there is no afterlife and nothing in life will matter to the dead then why care about anyone anyway? Once they die they won't know whether or not they were loved or cared for.

I try to understand many things from both sides. I see each in this case.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2012, 04:46 PM
(12-01-2012 11:45 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(12-01-2012 10:40 AM)lucradis Wrote:  An afterlife to me seems kind of pointless and empty as it robs all meaning in the life we have today. It steals the confidence of death. Why should I care if any o my family die is I just see them
Later?
I love my family so much and I try to show them how much I love them every day because I will never get another chance when they die or if I die.

The other side of that argument is, if there is no afterlife and nothing in life will matter to the dead then why care about anyone anyway? Once they die they won't know whether or not they were loved or cared for.

I think you're missing lucradis' point. Precisely because life is temporary is why it should be treasured and worshipped. And I don't do it for them, I do it for me. If it wasn't so, well then hell why not just keep putting it off 'til tomorrow. I can always just make up for lost time later in the afterlife (where I would no doubt just keep putting it off 'til tomorrow out of habit).

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-01-2012, 05:18 PM
(12-01-2012 04:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
Later?

I think you're missing lucradis' point. Precisely because life is temporary is why it should be treasured and worshipped. And I don't do it for them, I do it for me. If it wasn't so, well then hell why not just keep putting it off 'til tomorrow. I can always just make up for lost time later in the afterlife (where I would no doubt just keep putting it off 'til tomorrow out of habit).

No I was explaining the other side of the 'afterlife robs meaning of life' comment. Others might say that no afterlife takes away any meaning of life because once you are dead it doesn't matter anyway.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
12-01-2012, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 05:53 PM by Mr Woof.)
(12-01-2012 05:18 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(12-01-2012 04:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
Later?

No I was explaining the other side of the 'afterlife robs meaning of life' comment. Others might say that no afterlife takes away any meaning of life because once you are dead it doesn't matter anyway.

If the afterlife consists of paying homage to some weird and wondeful dude for squillions of years ,let K.C. and his strange bedfellows enjoy it!
Immediate elevation to Heaven or descent into Hell base on one life scenarios are absurd!

"Nothing endures except change"......baby, child, youth, young man, middle aged and my category. What is the spin off in heaven?

Any afterlife would most likely have to be contingent on change, not the reaching of a 'stagnant perfect something' as postulated by the fundies.

Reincarnation or re-birth may fit into the scenario but there are immence problems there also...........who knows? Angel
12-01-2012, 10:05 PM
(12-01-2012 05:18 PM)germanyt Wrote:  No I was explaining the other side of the 'afterlife robs meaning of life' comment. Others might say that no afterlife takes away any meaning of life because once you are dead it doesn't matter anyway.

Back that up, Brother. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-01-2012, 09:31 AM
There is also an unexamined assumption underlying the "life has meaning only if I, (as in ME, ME, ME), ..... MY.... existence extends forever. That may in some ways arise from Western culture's emphasis on "individualism". Why can't the survival of the "group" bestow meaning ? .....just a thought, for you smarties. Gotta run. Beware...Friday the 13th. Heh heh. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
13-01-2012, 09:52 AM
(12-01-2012 10:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-01-2012 05:18 PM)germanyt Wrote:  No I was explaining the other side of the 'afterlife robs meaning of life' comment. Others might say that no afterlife takes away any meaning of life because once you are dead it doesn't matter anyway.

Back that up, Brother. Smile

Yes - Germ, either I'm having trouble following your train of logic, or you have a screw loose.
Of course... if you are trying to play devil's advocate... no, I'm still not getting it.
How does not having an afterlife take away meaning from life?
Convince me how life matters at all, simply due to there being an afterlife?

As far as I can see, an afterlife doesn't matter... and if one thinks it does matter, then life itself must not be very precious to them. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
13-01-2012, 09:53 AM

If the afterlife consists of paying homage to some weird and wonderful dude for squillions of years ,let K.C. and his strange bedfellows enjoy it!
Immediate elevation to Heaven or descent into Hell base on one life scenarios are absurd!

[/quote]

Worshiping at the feet of Charles Manson...more like it....although Charlie never directly killed anyone, did he? Is Charlie more moral than the OT God? Oh MY!

Eternal ass kissing of a bloodthirsty jealous Tri Polar maniac. THATS what you get...but hey, the way there is thru this gruvy guy thats all peace & love.....except for that part about bringing a sword and hating your family.........but a good guy just the same.

Maybe they think they can choose who to hang out with when they get there.

I'd hang with the Holy Spirit.....all he does is impregnate virgins and play the role of a poltergeist...that sounds kinda fun.

D
Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2012, 08:39 PM
(13-01-2012 09:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Why can't the survival of the "group" bestow meaning ?

Because it's all gonna end. Whether it's by a Big Crunch, Big Chill, Big Rip, or Big Bounce. Its temporariness is what allows us to give it meaning. Without it I don't see how meaning is even conceivable.