Again with the Noah B.S. on facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2014, 06:46 PM
RE: Again with the Noah B.S. on facebook
I haven't seen much on my Facebook about Noah and the ark and all that but am waiting till my page is littered on Sunday with the "He is Risen" sentiments.

Part of the reason I did some purging this week, trying to limit the relentless religious stuff.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

Ordained Dudeist Priest at Dudeism, the Church of the Latter-Day Dude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-04-2014, 07:29 PM
(15-04-2014 05:19 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
Quote:#1 The Ark was about 500 feet long. That would make it approximately the size of a World War II aircraft carrier.
So, in an era when marine transport technology consisted of hollowed out logs and reed rafts, Noah managed to build a wooden vessel so advanced that today's engineers cannot recreate it. The reason no one builds large ships out of wood is due to the fact that wood is too flexible. A wooden air craft carrier would bend and flex to the point of self-destruction.

The 6-masted schooner Wyoming was the longest wooden ship at 350' on deck, 329' at the waterline and 450' overall (jib-boom tip to spanker boom tip).

From WIKI:

"Because of her extreme length and wood construction, Wyoming tended to flex in heavy seas, which would cause the long planks to twist and buckle, thereby allowing sea water to intrude into the hold (see hogging and sagging). Wyoming had to use pumps to keep her hold relatively free of water. In March 1924, she foundered in heavy seas and sank with the loss of all hands."

This was using early 20th century construction materials and methods, the best of the era.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 4 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
15-04-2014, 07:44 PM
I love how the article cites unsolved mysteries for the "proof of the ark."

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
15-04-2014, 07:47 PM
(14-04-2014 08:04 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-04-2014 01:49 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  That is a good idea. I was thinking of making a post along those lines myself, but you got to it first.

You are both fools!

The animals were all very much smaller back then.

Over generations since, they all grew much bigger because of the abundance of food that was available after the water subsid....

Consider

No, wait!

After the flood the plants were all dead so all the herbivores must have eaten...

Hang on... Consider

I know. After the flood, the carnivores ate the herbivores and the fish.

If the carnivores ate the original herbivores there must have more kinds on the ark that don't exist now which means there had to be many more kinds than there are now... or the herbivores bred very quickly before the carnivores got hungry.

And they bred quickly because they had plenty of food to... shit!

The herbivores must have eaten the fish?

The saltwater fish that were trapped in pools became freshwater fish.

Then later carnivores went kinda vegan to change (not evolve, of course) into the new herbivores we have today.

Yup. That's it.

Thumbsup

You're going to hurt yourself if you keep this up Thumbsup

Are you sure Noah didn't bring in potted plants into the conservatory area of the big-as-shit wooden coffin?

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
15-04-2014, 07:58 PM
(15-04-2014 07:44 PM)Logisch Wrote:  I love how the article cites unsolved mysteries for the "proof of the ark."

Isn't that the proof for all Woo ?, except that 99% of the time they are only "unsolved" mysteries because there is no incentive to solve them.
and when they do get solved :
[Image: 6a00d8341c761a53ef013486995d50970c-320wi]

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
15-04-2014, 08:11 PM
(15-04-2014 07:29 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 05:19 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  So, in an era when marine transport technology consisted of hollowed out logs and reed rafts, Noah managed to build a wooden vessel so advanced that today's engineers cannot recreate it. The reason no one builds large ships out of wood is due to the fact that wood is too flexible. A wooden air craft carrier would bend and flex to the point of self-destruction.

The 6-masted schooner Wyoming was the longest wooden ship at 350' on deck, 329' at the waterline and 450' overall (jib-boom tip to spanker boom tip).

From WIKI:

"Because of her extreme length and wood construction, Wyoming tended to flex in heavy seas, which would cause the long planks to twist and buckle, thereby allowing sea water to intrude into the hold (see hogging and sagging). Wyoming had to use pumps to keep her hold relatively free of water. In March 1924, she foundered in heavy seas and sank with the loss of all hands."

This was using early 20th century construction materials and methods, the best of the era.
Thanks for the corroboration. Thumbsup

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
16-04-2014, 06:10 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 05:24 PM by DLJ.)
So, I've just got home from seeing the movie.

I thought it was pretty good and weaved a story (a fantasy of course) that explained all the holes of the original story (and when I say original, I realise that Genesis was not really the original). Even the getting drunk and naked part made sense in this context.

As myth-telling goes, it was probably akin in terms of creativity and drama to the recent Titans movies.

Noah's wife's clothing was the only thing that was out of place (most noticeably in the close ups at the end) as the stitching was far too modern.

More interesting, was seeing it with someone who had never before heard of Noah or any flood story.

She really enjoyed it. Mainly because the actor who played Shem was her cup of tea.
She liked the story, the acting and all.

I asked her what she thought about the mass genocide - wiping out nearly all of humanity and her ever so understated reply:
"I think that was not the right thing to do."

Not horrified, not shocked just "not right".

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
16-04-2014, 06:19 AM
(16-04-2014 06:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I thought it was pretty good and weaved a story (a fantasy of course) that explained all the stuff holes of the original story (and when I say original, I realise that Genesis was not really the original). Even the getting drunk and naked part made sense in this context.

The drunk naked bit always made sense to me. That would have been a pretty stressful event...who wouldn't get drunk and naked after it. Big Grin

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post
16-04-2014, 07:59 AM
(16-04-2014 06:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So, I've just got home from seeing the movie.

I thought it was pretty good and weaved a story (a fantasy of course) that explained all the holes of the original story (and when I say original, I realise that Genesis was not really the original). Even the getting drunk and naked part made sense in this context.

As myth-telling goes, it was probably akin in terms of creativity and drama to the recent Titans movies.

Noah's wife's clothing was the only thing that was out of place (most noticeably in the close ups at the end) as the sticking was far too modern.

More interesting, was seeing it with someone who had never before heard of Noah or any flood story.

She really enjoyed it. Mainly because the actor who played Shem was her cup of tea.
She liked the story, the acting and all.

I asked her what she thought about the mass genocide - wiping out nearly all of humanity and her ever so understated reply:
"I think that was not the right thing to do."

Not horrified, not shocked just "not right".

Big Grin

LOL, my mom's friend went to see it and hated it because there were "rock-men."
23-07-2014, 07:23 PM
As fresh water mixed with sea water all the aquatics would have died. How did the pigeon find an olive branch, trees die when the roots are flooded. Even if Noah's understanding of the world was only a part of what it really is, no one would have survived the methane gas. Whoever came up with that story had loose screws.
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post