Age discrimination (yep, applied to young and old)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
03-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Age discrimination (yep, applied to young and old)
I remember being discounted because I was "too young" to know what I was talking about.

Then I was too young to buy a house. (did it anyways at age 19)

Then I was getting too old not to hear a ticking clock and have babies.

Now I'm just too old - for everything it seems.

Even here at TTA I often bite my tongue when someone says "Old people this or that", usually implying that we are unable to think or comprehend things. I let it go because I am aware that people are usually talking about their own parents or grandparents, who may well be dense, I don't know.

Yep, my bones creak and my joints wobble. It doesn't feel good.
Yep, I won't be climbing any mountains anymore, although I wish I could.
Yep, it takes me longer to get shit done, and it annoys me, too.
Yep, there is a noticeable expiration date stamped on my forehead. Can't say that makes me happy.
Yep, I am physically helpless and can't defend myself anymore. Paranoia starts creeping in. I have dogs and guns.

But don't tell me what I think and how my mind works. Ok, it's true that the brain loses some of it's filters and I will tell you exactly what I think. It's quite liberating. Out of the mouths of children and old people.... you hear the truth. Bluntly. My mind works just fine. I often just don't give a shit.

Don't tell me I watch Fox and vote for Trump and yearn to go home to Jeebus. These are things stupid people do, whether they be old or young.

Unfortunately it's not possible to communicate properly what it's like to be old. When my mom was getting ready to die, she said: "Here I am, a young girl stuck in the body of an old person". That's exactly how I feel. I still get shocked when I look in the mirror and an old woman stares back at me. Who the fuck is that?

Anyway, this is just a rant. Every one of us experiences age discrimination in one form or another before they are even old. And all of us are going to be old. And let me tell you, it creeps up on you. One day you are in grade school reciting the alphabet, the next you wake up with creaking bones and wobbly joints. Or so it seems.

First you can't wait to be old enough for this or that.
Then life keeps you jumping with kids or careers or whatever.
Then you wake up old.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Dom's post
03-06-2017, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 08:26 PM by Vera.)
RE: Age discrimination (yep, applied to young and old)
Dom, I'll probably have something better to contribute when it's not so late and I'm not struggling to finish my pages... but am reminded of a song, which I've posted before... but will do again, if you don't mind...

It’s called The Clock of Time and he sings about sitting in his garden, watching the birds fly above his head and thinking of how time passes, about childhood and youth flowing away like the water from a fountain, so clear and so far distant already, and about evening drawing near, with its hours of sadness, like an oil lamp, whose flame trembles with the smallest draught… and ends with the singer telling Death not to hurry with its reaping or remind him of the bad times, and that even now, he sometimes has the heart of a twenty-year-old.

(I'm sorry, I tend to talk in songs and quotes about things that are too personal Blush )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
03-06-2017, 08:24 PM
Hug
I'm filing in right behind you, Dom. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-06-2017, 08:35 PM
I think this topic should have its own sub-section. Angel

I have no real problem with discrimination against age.

3-year-olds should not be allowed to drive. No

Heck! Nor should I, I can't read the road signs.

Confused

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-06-2017, 08:37 PM
(03-06-2017 08:35 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I have no real problem with discrimination against age.

Give it a few years, hun. Unless you die first, there's no escaping it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-06-2017, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 06:16 AM by Anjele.)
Dom, I agree with most of what you have said.

One thing I notice is that not only are those of us with some years on us looked down on by some but some people think that hitting a certain age means that you should change your thoughts, behavior, appearance, etc.

I say, Fuck That Shit!

I will be 60 at the end of the month. Sort of hard to believe I have lived this long actually...I sure took some dumb ass risks when I was younger.

But...I don't care that my mother and others thought/think that a woman over 40 shouldn't have long hair. Sometimes my hair is long, sometimes it's short, sometimes in between. It's my goddamn hair.

I wear jeans and nice shirts or sweaters most of the time to work...sometimes I switch it up to black slacks. I love T-shirts with smart assed saying or silly things on them like my flying armadillo on my Keep Austin Weird shirt. I wear jeans pretty much all the time when I leave the house for things other than work....skinny jeans, not mom jeans.

I wear strappy sandals as often as I can and I wear my Harley Boots when the weather sucks.

You are not going to find me in little capri pants outfits in big floral patterns...just not happening.

My taste in music over the years has changed and keeps changing though there are still favorites from years ago. And I like some rap music...a lot, though there is some I don't care for. I like music that I heard as my kids were growing up and playing DJ in the car.

Yeah, it's startling when I look in the mirror because most days I still feel like I am much, much younger.

I still plop down on the floor cross-legged though it may take me a little longer to get up than it used to.

I work full time. I am constantly learning. Have I slowed down...not much, yet. And I am not going to slow down because it's expected.

With each death I hear of....actors, musicians, people I know...I automatically do the math to check how I close I am to their age. Do I dwell on it...no.

I have been through a lot of shit to reach this age. I am pretty comfortable in my own skin...finally. And no one is going to tell me that I am not acting my age...whatever the fuck that means.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 7 users Like Anjele's post
03-06-2017, 08:38 PM
I think you're colouring the aging process too darkly.

I'm in my late 50s and, frankly, I'm having the best time I've ever had. OK, so I don't have the stamina of an 18-year-old, but remembering what my late teens were like, there's no way I'd want to repeat that experience.

And, yes, I was turned down for jobs and contracts a couple of times because I was too old (and too white, and too male... that's another story entirely). But those days are done since I'm retired now anyway.

I find wonderful joys in being the age I am. You actually touched on it in your original post:
Dom Wrote:I often just don't give a shit.
Same here, and I find that gloriously liberating.
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
03-06-2017, 08:46 PM
(03-06-2017 08:38 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I think you're colouring the aging process too darkly.

I'm in my late 50s and, frankly, I'm having the best time I've ever had. OK, so I don't have the stamina of an 18-year-old, but remembering what my late teens were like, there's no way I'd want to repeat that experience.

And, yes, I was turned down for jobs and contracts a couple of times because I was too old (and too white, and too male... that's another story entirely). But those days are done since I'm retired now anyway.

I find wonderful joys in being the age I am. You actually touched on it in your original post:
Dom Wrote:I often just don't give a shit.
Same here, and I find that gloriously liberating.

The 50s are super! Old enough to know what you want and young enough to do it. The 60s are still quite good too, depending on your health.

After that it just comes down to health. Which is why so many old people talk about it - everything depends on it then and it goes further and further south as your body parts wear out. Broken bones used to mean a cast signed by all your friends - when you are old, it is often a harbinger of death. Your body doesn't repair and maladies never pass, they become chronic.

Up until physical deterioration, being older is an asset as far as I am concerned.

03-06-2017, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 10:33 PM by Clockwork.)
I'm much stronger than I was in my 20s. I'm not more muscular but I'm stronger. A guy my brother knows says we're developing "old man strength."

I've been turned down for jobs because of age. They said so. And, well, some job opportunities dwindle with age.

On the up side, a young lady in her 20s says she likes hanging out with a few of us (all in our 40s).
03-06-2017, 09:31 PM
(03-06-2017 08:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, it's true that the brain loses some of it's filters and I will tell you exactly what I think. It's quite liberating. Out of the mouths of children and old people.... you hear the truth. Bluntly. My mind works just fine. I often just don't give a shit.

If the young me is the one with the filter, relatively speaking, my future grandchildren better have an open mind when they sit down for story time.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post