Age of Earth & Peer Review

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2014, 09:38 PM
Age of Earth & Peer Review
How old do you believe the earth is ?

I don't believe the earth is a certain age. I accept the findings of scientists who gathered the evidence from rock samples on earth, from meteorites that have fallen to the earth, from lunar samples and from comparing the mass and luminosity of our Sun to those of other stars, it appears the solar system cannot be much older than those samples tested.

The earth is about 4.54 billion years old, give or take .05 billion years.

What research have you done to come to this conclusion ?

I don't have to do any research to accept the findings of scientists all over the world. The scientific findings of any subject are peer reviewed at the highest level to provide the most accurate analysis that we can for any subject there is.
When you care about the truth and you want to ensure that you have the most accurate information possible, you put those answers to the questions through a peer review process. This means that any finding can be scrutinized by anyone on the planet. If you have new information that proves a particular idea is wrong, then you publish it and you show it's wrong.

Scientists are brutal when it comes to peer review. If you don't have the evidence to back up what you are saying, they will pick it apart like vultures.
Scientists are skeptics. They don't believe it until you can prove it. Show me the math. Show me the evidence. Show me your experiments. Show me all the raw data. Can I reproduce your results ?

All of this goes into every answer that science has for every question.

I wanted to post two of the answers I gave to two of the interview questions.
The initial question irritated me to no end.

I felt as if Ken Ham was going to jump out and ask "Were you there ?"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
17-11-2014, 10:03 PM
RE: Age of Earth & Peer Review
Quote:I felt as if Ken Ham was going to jump out and ask "Were you there ?"

You know, I always wonder why no one ever asks that shithead if he was present in the Garden of Eden? Somehow I doubt it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
17-11-2014, 10:07 PM
(17-11-2014 10:03 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  

You know, I always wonder why no one ever asks that shithead if he was present in the Garden of Eden? Somehow I doubt it.

Well, I guess for me it could fall under your definition of what an "earth" is. If we are talking about a ball of mass that got caught in the sun's orbit. Than I think that is the date when scientists think the earth was formed.

However, if we are talking full body of water, everything has calmed down and there is air and life just sprang up on it. The date of how old the earth is can get moved up some few billion years. Either way, its pretty fucking old.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
17-11-2014, 10:13 PM
(17-11-2014 10:03 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  

God was there and he told the author of Genesis what to write.

Of course, Ken wasn't there to witness the guy taking divine dictation either... Consider

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
17-11-2014, 10:24 PM
I always thought is was funny to ask, show me in any text written anywhere that god commanded that the canons be formed into a bible.

People took it up in themselves to decide which canons would go in and which canons didn't make the cut. How did they decide if a canon was truly from god or not ? They guessed ? They weren't there so they had to guess.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
17-11-2014, 10:59 PM
(17-11-2014 10:24 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I always thought is was funny to ask, show me in any text written anywhere that god commanded that the canons be formed into a bible.

People took it up in themselves to decide which canons would go in and which canons didn't make the cut. How did they decide if a canon was truly from god or not ? They guessed ? They weren't there so they had to guess.

Were you there? How do you know God wasn't at the council of Nicea? Angel gotchya!

In some ways I suppose the elements that make up the earth may of formed in various times from other starsystems that alters the "age" of what something is considered... but that all collected as Earth in a period of time

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-11-2014, 11:17 PM
(17-11-2014 10:24 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I always thought is was funny to ask, show me in any text written anywhere that god commanded that the canons be formed into a bible.

God's hand guided them through their choices, kinda like the Maradona World Cup goal.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-11-2014, 12:34 AM
I believe it is exactly 3 years old.

YOU CAN'T SAY I'M NOT RIGHT.
18-11-2014, 08:44 AM
It's older than I am. Big Grin

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
18-11-2014, 08:55 AM
(18-11-2014 12:34 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  I believe it is exactly 3 years old.

YOU CAN'T SAY I'M NOT RIGHT.

It was created three years ago by Haruhi Suzumiya who is unaware of her powers and now ESPers and aliens monitor her every move to try and avoid a repeat.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.