Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2011, 06:31 PM
RE: Age
(15-09-2011 10:54 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(15-09-2011 10:38 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Instead scientist use science. They don't assume how old the earth is they use proven science to show how old the earth is.

But they do start with the assumption that God has never intervened and that the natural processes that are going on today have always been taking place. This forces them to come to the conclusion that the earth is old. It is also a human characteristic that we ignore anything that would show that our beliefs are wrong and in fact there are some facts that don't fit in with generally held scientific theories. You can find out about some of them here:

http://scienceagainstevolution.org/

The problem is that the theory that god created the universe and that the earth has existed for only 6k years depends fully on god being real and creating a universe with signs pointing to a far older earth and universe. He would have had to specifically create everything with uranium/lead ratios consistent with a 4.6bn year old earth in order for us to see that evidence and be wrong. This implies he wants to deceive us, not that we are wrongfully assuming anything. It's the same as claiming that god planted all the dinosaur fossils in order to trick us.

Better without God, and happier too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Azaraith's post
15-09-2011, 06:58 PM
[/quote]

The problem is that the theory that god created the universe and that the earth has existed for only 6k years depends fully on god being real and creating a universe with signs pointing to a far older earth and universe. He would have had to specifically create everything with uranium/lead ratios consistent with a 4.6bn year old earth in order for us to see that evidence and be wrong. This implies he wants to deceive us, not that we are wrongfully assuming anything. It's the same as claiming that god planted all the dinosaur fossils in order to trick us.
[/quote]

Yes thank you. Anyways God didn't plant the dinosaur bones, satan did. I saw a poster once, and it made me learn.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Here is another way you might guesstimate the age of the earth.
Take ore samples from Eden:
Gen 2
Quote:11 The name of the first [river] is Phison which encircles all the land of Hevila where there is gold.
12 And the gold of that land is good; bdellium and onyx are there.
and compare them to ore samples from "the wilderness" - which i suppose would be the rest of the world, so better make it a nugget or so from each continent - subtracting the geological age of one from the other.

But i doubt that will give a clue as to why two naked teenagers without a pickaxe between them knew or cared about gold, onyx and bdellium in their garden. And if they didn't know, how did the post-expulsion chronicler find out?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
16-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Maybe they wanted gold to trade with the animals for fur.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
16-09-2011, 10:28 AM
(15-09-2011 11:15 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  I misattributed the sentence because of the word 'us' in it. Odd that it should, in fact, be God himself who said it. I guess he meant himself and the angels and demons, not the other Sumerian gods....?

The "us" reflects the fact that God is a trinity.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Was that statement not pre-Jesus?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
16-09-2011, 10:54 AM
It's a good thing I shave my head, otherwise I'd be tearing my hair out after reading this thread.

Ok, so the main argument you have Theo, is that scientists are wrong about the age of the earth because they are trying to figure it out having already made the assumption that the laws of physics have always applied. But how can you say they are incorrect, considering the fact that you are making the assumption that the laws of physics DON'T always apply?

Both sides are making calculations based on assumptions, so which assumption makes more sense? The one that says, "this is the way things are, there is no evidence that they have ever been different, so lets assume they were always that way", or the one that says, "this is the way things are, but for my 2000 year old book to make sense, they must have been different before, so lets assume that the main character of my book changed them."

C'mon man, this is a pretty weak argument.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
16-09-2011, 01:11 PM

(16-09-2011 10:28 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(15-09-2011 11:15 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  I misattributed the sentence because of the word 'us' in it. Odd that it should, in fact, be God himself who said it. I guess he meant himself and the angels and demons, not the other Sumerian gods....?

The "us" reflects the fact that God is a trinity.

Which trinity is that?

yahweh, allah and thor?

Huh
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2011, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2011 01:58 PM by Peterkin.)
(16-09-2011 10:28 AM)theophilus Wrote:  The "us" reflects the fact that God is a trinity.

Early symptom of MPD, about 4000 years prior to clinical presentation. Cool.
And the 'obviously' intended immortality of Adam?

(16-09-2011 08:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Maybe they wanted gold to trade with the animals for fur.

So how come they wearing leaves, until, inexplicably,
Gen 3 v21
Quote:The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.
?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
16-09-2011, 02:30 PM
(16-09-2011 01:54 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  
(16-09-2011 10:28 AM)theophilus Wrote:  The "us" reflects the fact that God is a trinity.

Early symptom of MPD, about 4000 years prior to clinical presentation. Cool.
And the 'obviously' intended immortality of Adam?

(16-09-2011 08:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Maybe they wanted gold to trade with the animals for fur.

So how come they wearing leaves, until, inexplicably,
Gen 3 v21
Quote:The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.
?

Shot my argument to hell. Maybe they needed gold for...electrical conductors?

—Thomas Henry Huxley