Ageism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Ageism
It bugs me.

Always has.

Probably bugs me more than any of the other -isms.

It afflicts everyone, and it afflicts you most of your life.

While the young are discriminated against a lot for being young, they discriminate against the old for being old. And everything in between.

And most everyone is guilty of it. Even though most everyone currently is or soon will be affected by it.

How stupid is that?

Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-01-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: Ageism
(20-01-2014 09:51 AM)Dom Wrote:  It bugs me.

Always has.

Probably bugs me more than any of the other -isms.

It afflicts everyone, and it afflicts you most of your life.

While the young are discriminated against a lot for being young, they discriminate against the old for being old. And everything in between.

And most everyone is guilty of it. Even though most everyone currently is or soon will be affected by it.

How stupid is that?

Tongue

It is quite real in employment and has affected me and others I know.

I certainly joke around about 'young whippersnappers' and 'cranky old farts', but maybe that's no less harmful than ethnic jokes. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-01-2014, 10:00 AM
It IS very real!

No, I don't think humor has a bad effect, wish we could apply it to all the -isms without getting lynched.

The idiocy of this one is though that it goes round and round affecting everyone one way or another.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-01-2014, 10:16 AM
In the UK we are having health and care budgets generally reduced, downsized and outsourced. Energy prices continue to increase every year. All with a forecast of an increased aged population in the coming decades. Unless the sums change I see the problem only becoming worse.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
20-01-2014, 10:26 AM
(20-01-2014 10:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  It IS very real!

No, I don't think humor has a bad effect, wish we could apply it to all the -isms without getting lynched.

The idiocy of this one is though that it goes round and round affecting everyone one way or another.

Well, I do enjoy humor and I think it is, in fact, a way to attack ageism, sexism, racism, etc. by pointing it out, ridiculing it, defanging it.

But, then, I'm just a cranky old fart. [Image: cranky.gif]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Actually since I seem to be pretty much matching every social norm that goes with my age I'll just not complain too much. I do like when people break barriers. Like when teenagers act like adults and 90 yr old drive themselves to the grocery store --- but --- most of us do seem to live according to what our age dictates. In my head I'm still a thriving/striving 30 yr old. So I just whip that out when it's needed and when my body allows Evil_monster

Going on auto-pilot and making assumptions about people based on what age they appear to be - is no different than any other Ism...........

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
20-01-2014, 11:07 AM
I think that in this part of the world, age is generally revered. Not across the board but largely.

Perhaps it's an extended family thing.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post