Aging and Seeking Direction.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012 11:39 PM by Dark Light.)
Aging and Seeking Direction.
I have become increasingly aware of my age over the past year, and the sun-dial seems to unforgivably flicker shadows a bit quicker than it once did. I have now reached and perhaps gone beyond physical peak, and mental acuity. No less than a third of me is now gone. Perhaps my transgression could be afforded if I did not yet know how to achieve what it is that I want from my transitory existence, but I have yet to even set a goal. I'm just a lost wanderer in the myriad of complications, like a child. If I am going to become remarkable at something I need the time to dedicate my efforts toward it before the inevitable turning of the hourglass. I have set goals, yes, and I am working toward them, but it is artificial goals which I am passionless about. I have set goals before, and began on a journey toward them, but than I grew bored and uninterested, or even disgusted by them. I want to be excited, I want to know in which direction I should be traveling. How do I discover it? The only things I love present insurmountable roadblocks, and I don't have the aptitude to be great at them anyhow. At what age do you settle? Any? Does my personality dictate that I will always grow bored of the goals I set? I am interested in hearing from the folks who have had similar situations in the past.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2012, 11:30 PM
RE: Aging and Seeking Direction.
(05-11-2012 09:26 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I have become increasingly aware of my age over the past year, and the sun-dial seems to unforgivably flicker shadows a bit quicker than it once did. I have now reached and perhaps gone beyond physical peak, and mental acuity. No less than a third of me is now gone. Perhaps my transgression could be afforded if I did not yet know how to achieve what it is that I want from my transitory existence, but I have yet to even set a goal. I'm just a lost wanderer in the myriad of complications, like a child. If I am going to become remarkable at something I need the time to dedicate my efforts toward it before the inevitable turning of the hourglass. I have set goals, yes, and I am working toward, them but it is artificial goals which I am passionless about. I have set goals before, and began on a journey toward them, but than I grew bored and uninterested, or even disgusted by them. I want to be excited, I want to know in which direction I should be traveling. How do I discover it? The only things I love present insurmountable roadblocks, and I don't have the aptitude to be great at them anyhow. At what age do you settle? Any? Does my personality dictate that I will always grow bored of the goals I set? I am interested in hearing from the folks who have had similar situations in the past.
The inability to find a strong passion in life may reflect on some degree of disillusionment with what many see as core values. The writer and philosopher Albert Camus saw life as pretty absurd and I tend to agree.
Like you, any real passion has alluded me and I sometimes feel guilty about this.
You may be an existentialist and existentialists often suffer from a lack of meaning which causes some degree of angst.
I don't think passion can be forced.
AS for road blocks preventing the things you love, maybe you need to do some revision.
I have entered my seventh decade and still enjoy philosophy and body building along with other minor interests.
I try and act altruistically to a small degree and even here, see this as a means of ridding myself of built up guilt.
Age has of course slowed me down and I suppose I must be grateful for having lived thus far.
Good luck!
06-11-2012, 03:48 AM
Star RE: Aging and Seeking Direction.
Let's see. My situation:

As a person there are three lifestyle dials - despair, monotony, passion.

Situate your financial, social, physical, and educational lifestyles so you have a firm base to work off of. So the worst you can do is fall into "monotony" instead of "despair" (falling into depression or poverty).

With a base (mediocre financial, social, physical, and educational situation, but stable) discover what it is that you need, and do it. Satisfy the "wants", but make long term decisions based on your "needs".

1- I have "wants" for engineering, game design, animation, writing, travelling, etc. I feel that I enjoy these, but these are best described as amusing pastimes, that will become unfulfilling after awhile. At best, these can be side projects and hobbies. Nothing I'd want to build my life around.

2- I have "needs" for social outreach, educational outreach, political reform, creating a private business, etc. These are directions that may not provide immediate satisfaction, but provide a sense of purpose, honour, self-fulfilment, drive.

I have a desire for grander change, and would like to pursue it for the long term.

The wants are more immediate, and take form easier. The needs take time (hence the base) to discover and form. As described above, the "wants" are more defined, the "needs" are more vague and harder to put into practice. Just don't mix up the wants and needs.

From above, the goals would be:
a. Stabilize your financial, social, physical, and educational lifestyles. You need a base.
b. Distinguish between your "wants" and "needs".
c. Satisfy your wants, to get by day to day.
d. Bring your needs into focus, so you can act on them.
e. Up your financial, social, physical, and educational lifestyles for the cherry on the top.
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
06-11-2012, 03:59 AM
What Poolboy said.
Maybe on alternate days, consider some Eastern Tao shit.
Maybe you've already arrived ?
Maybe you should just enjoy ?
Why are Western males so obsessed with goals ?
Go live in Tibet for a month or two, and see life from a radically different perspective.
Maybe think about what you wanted the MOST to do as a little boy around 6-11 ?, 7-13 ?, that gave you the most joy,
and figure out how to do just that ?
Dump the standards imposed by society, and find your own.

That will be $50.00 please. Pay the receptionist non the way out. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
06-11-2012, 04:13 AM
I wouldn't suggest going to to Tibet.

Me and one of my friends were discussing how me and him both are similar to you but not old yet.

We have spent years just drinking and going to clubs but we have lived better than most by doing so. We know former gun smugglers, drug lords, cab drivers that would give us a free ride whenever we needed it, good times living in the ghetto, and good times in expensive hotels, with the hottest women. And most of the things we have experienced nobody would believe.

We don't regret not having goals, fuck it.

Here is a recent story that most people wouldn't believe: Me and him were putting stripper poles in one of the clubs that we knew the owner of, while we were putting the stripper poles in two old men from chicago walk in the club and start talking to the bartender about the owner. They start telling stories of mafia connections, car explosions, hit jobs and all that good stuff.

While everyone else our age has a shitty job they hate and is married and has kids and lives the boring american dream.....
06-11-2012, 07:37 AM
(05-11-2012 11:30 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I have entered my seventh decade and still enjoy philosophy and body building along with other minor interests.
I try and act altruistically to a small degree and even here, see this as a means of ridding myself of built up guilt.
Age has of course slowed me down and I suppose I must be grateful for having lived thus far.
Good luck!

I hope you're sitting down: you've entered your eighth decade.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Ah balderdash! You're going through an EARLY midlife crisis type thingie.

Life is not about reaching goals that you or society set arbitrarily.

Once you do get older, and you look back, what counts how you spent the sum of minutes of your life.

For instance, the minutes you spend sitting around worrying about goals you may or may not have are lost minutes and negatives.

The minutes you spend doing something you enjoy or being with someone you enjoy etc. are precious minutes and positives.

Life is about living, not about struggling to get someplace you don't even know if you want to be.

Yes, one needs goals in order to live an agreeable (varies from person to person) life within the societal structure we have. As in, you need to make the money you consider necessary for a pleasant survival for you and yours. For some this becomes an all consuming goal. And lots of minutes are lost here.

For me, I want to live comfortably and I want to keep learning new things. These goals are no all consuming and they provide many positive minutes of themselves. And they leave time for adding many other positive minutes.

Again, IMO life is about the sum of minutes you spend. What you do in the next minute makes all the difference. Not what you think you want to achieve years from now. Spend your minutes wisely, they are limited. And they are what you will eventually look back on. If the sum of your minutes is primarily positive and you have lived a varied and interesting life, you will be happy about it as you really do get older.

They say your life flashes before your eyes as you die. Make sure it's worth watching.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
06-11-2012, 09:42 AM
(05-11-2012 09:26 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I have become increasingly aware of my age over the past year, and the sun-dial seems to unforgivably flicker shadows a bit quicker than it once did. I have now reached and perhaps gone beyond physical peak, and mental acuity.
I checked your profile and discovered you are 26 years old. Since I am 72 it seems strange to me that someone your age would feel like this but it is probably a good thing because death can come an any age and we should always think about how to prepare for it.

We were created by God and the only way to have a successful life is to find out what he wants us to accomplish and to do it. The fact that you are on this forum means that you will probably don't believe this but it is the truth.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
06-11-2012, 09:44 AM
(06-11-2012 09:42 AM)theophilus Wrote:  We were created by God and the only way to have a successful life is to find out what he wants us to accomplish and to do it. The fact that you are on this forum means that you will probably don't believe this but it is the truth.

You have no evidence of this, yet you think it is the truth. Why?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-11-2012, 10:26 AM
(06-11-2012 09:42 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 09:26 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I have become increasingly aware of my age over the past year, and the sun-dial seems to unforgivably flicker shadows a bit quicker than it once did. I have now reached and perhaps gone beyond physical peak, and mental acuity.
I checked your profile and discovered you are 26 years old. Since I am 72 it seems strange to me that someone your age would feel like this but it is probably a good thing because death can come an any age and we should always think about how to prepare for it.

We were created by God and the only way to have a successful life is to find out what he wants us to accomplish and to do it. The fact that you are on this forum means that you will probably don't believe this but it is the truth.

And how, exactly, do you know the truth?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man