Agnostic:Gnostic Atheist Ratio?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 05:33 AM
Agnostic:Gnostic Atheist Ratio?
This may need to be moved to "Philosophy." Moderators can do whatever with it.

Does anyone know how many agnostic atheists compared to gnostic atheists is? Even just among famous Atheists? I know Dawkins is barely agnostic...

I'm on an Atheist vs. Theists debate group on Facebook. I am getting "No True" Atheist fallacies, and being accused of playing both sides of Pascals wager. Also being accused of using the word wrong...

As such, if anyone has a poll of atheists, that would be great. A bunch of quotes from famous ones to show the distribution would also be great, but I'm having trouble with that...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2015, 05:36 AM
RE: Agnostic:Gnostic Atheist Ratio?
I'm a statistical atheist.

That is - I don't believe statistics....

Or polls....

Everybody lies - they've all got an agenda...

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
06-10-2015, 09:05 AM
Yay, a new belief vs knowledge thread in the making.

Y'all been slacking.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
06-10-2015, 09:15 AM
(06-10-2015 09:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yay, a new belief vs knowledge thread in the making.

Y'all been slacking.

When it's bitching about it, I'm tired and sick of it. The polls or questions of how many people are doing it don't bother none.

On this site itself, we have had several poll threads and it's a high agnostic-atheist/weak-atheist group. Though being an internet forum of a podcast may have factors leading that way. It definitely doesn't have a lot of voices in the poll anyway.

To the question, I have never see any data done anywhere on a grand scale like that. I know some websites collect data on celebrities based on interviews but never one that even tries to distinguish the group in this way. Usually just labeling undescribed atheist or agnostic or expressed unbelief by the person.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-10-2015, 10:02 AM
(06-10-2015 05:33 AM)MPythonGirl Wrote:  ...
I'm on an Atheist vs. Theists debate group on Facebook. I am getting "No True" Atheist fallacies, and being accused of playing both sides of Pascals wager. Also being accused of using the word wrong...

Tell 'em that 'theos' is from the Greek. So logically, the first atheists were the ones who did not believe in the Greek pantheon (i.e. the Jews).

Later, the term was used in the same way by the Romans ... therefore the christians and Jews were atheists.

Ask them if they believe in the Greek and Roman gods.

If they say no, then claim that there must be more atheists than theists because everyone does not believe in at least one god.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-10-2015, 05:18 PM
(06-10-2015 05:33 AM)MPythonGirl Wrote:  This may need to be moved to "Philosophy." Moderators can do whatever with it.

Does anyone know how many agnostic atheists compared to gnostic atheists is? Even just among famous Atheists? I know Dawkins is barely agnostic...

As such, if anyone has a poll of atheists, that would be great. A bunch of quotes from famous ones to show the distribution would also be great, but I'm having trouble with that...

That's a good question. I'm guessing it would be something like 80/20 or 85/15.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
06-10-2015, 05:29 PM
Most on this site appear to be agnostic atheist. Personally I consider myself gnostic. I was on the facebook main atheist group like 4 years ago and they almost banned me as a Christian sympathizer or undercover Christian because I wasn't bashing the religious enough.

Different places have different temperatures. This place is relatively chill.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
06-10-2015, 05:37 PM
(06-10-2015 05:29 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Most on this site appear to be agnostic atheist. Personally I consider myself gnostic. I was on the facebook main atheist group like 4 years ago and they almost banned me as a Christian sympathizer or undercover Christian because I wasn't bashing the religious enough.

Damn, that sounds like a rough bunch. Undecided
Facebook is definitely one of the last places I'd go for genuine community. The whole site is an echo chamber (by design), which makes it a breeding ground for intolerance. Also, the thought that some algorithm is working behind the scenes to determine what I should and shouldn't be exposed to... that really rubs me the wrong way.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
06-10-2015, 05:43 PM
(06-10-2015 05:37 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 05:29 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Most on this site appear to be agnostic atheist. Personally I consider myself gnostic. I was on the facebook main atheist group like 4 years ago and they almost banned me as a Christian sympathizer or undercover Christian because I wasn't bashing the religious enough.

Damn, that sounds like a rough bunch. Undecided
Facebook is definitely one of the last places I'd go for genuine community. The whole site is an echo chamber (by design), which makes it a breeding ground for intolerance. Also, the thought that some algorithm is working behind the scenes to determine what I should and shouldn't be exposed to... that really rubs me the wrong way.
Yeah, the over-arching facebook atheist group was definitely no good back then. I would say something like, "Well, from their perspective they think they are being a good person." And BAM, "UNDERCOVER CHRISTIAN!" I joined a local atheist group based in my city on facebook though, and it's quite nice. I don't have much activity there, but I read the posts many times a week. They also have organized events. For a while I was going on walks with them. We actually hosted Seth like within the last year, but I was too cheap to buy the ticket to eat dinner with him Sad. I knew the restaurant they went to..I was tempted to just show up, but that would probably be inappropriate Tongue.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
06-10-2015, 06:04 PM
I'm an agnostic atheist pagan. I worship Odin even though I am relatively certain he doesn't exist, but can't definitively prove it. He just seems like a cool guy, and in a world I see as just being here for my entertainment, that's sufficient.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post