Agnostic:Gnostic Atheist Ratio?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 07:31 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Agnostic:Gnostic Atheist Ratio?
I'm 1/3 atheist, 1/3 gnostic, and 1/3 umm .... Taoist. That's my ratio.
What ?
They're all atheists. They believe in none of the gods except their own *one* (of course) ... and the only reason they do that is they were raised in a particular culture. They can't even define what the word "god" means coherently.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-10-2015, 10:19 PM
I'm about 6.7, on the Richard Dawkins scale of 1 to 7. That .3 is my take on certitude on anything in this universe. You are going to have a fair amount of difficulty with getting honest replies on this, on the internet. IRL, it'll be less, in my expectation.
07-10-2015, 04:13 AM
7. Banana_zorro

I think there's more 7s than will admit to it. Wink

(06-10-2015 09:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yay, a new belief vs knowledge thread in the making.

Y'all been slacking.

Poopyhead. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2015, 07:07 AM
I think it depends on the specific question... the existence of Yahweh/Allah/Zeus/Thor/etc? I'd bet that the percentage of strong atheists is very high for that. When you start getting into more deistic god concepts the agnostic rate will rise as the definition gets more nebulous.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
07-10-2015, 07:30 AM
(07-10-2015 04:13 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  7. Banana_zorro

I think there's more 7s than will admit to it. Wink

(06-10-2015 09:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yay, a new belief vs knowledge thread in the making.

Y'all been slacking.

Poopyhead. Tongue

Don't make me KC-Logic you.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
07-10-2015, 07:37 AM
(07-10-2015 07:30 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 04:13 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Poopyhead. Tongue

Don't make me KC-Logic you.

I'm so far 7 I'm practically 1. I figure you to be about the same from the 1 side. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2015, 07:48 AM
This newb is also high on the scale. I was raised in an unholy hippie haven. God could't get a foot in there.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
07-10-2015, 10:08 AM
(06-10-2015 05:33 AM)MPythonGirl Wrote:  Does anyone know how many agnostic atheists compared to gnostic atheists is? Even just among famous Atheists? I know Dawkins is barely agnostic...

I have no idea. From my experience, most atheists here (and other online communities I frequent) will take a stance of agnostic atheism. Some will even claim gnostic atheism while explaining their views from an agnostic stance (basically, "there's no way to know, but it's silly to believe that, so I'm gnostic").

Some polls will show people who self-identify as agnostic as being roughly double in number with those who identify as atheist, but there are a few problems with using that figure:
  • It deals with how people self identify, which means they might be using different definitions (skewing results in either direction).
  • There's a way larger group of "non-religious" people. Any number of them might conceivably fall into the agnostic or gnostic atheist camp (see the above issue), and we have no idea how many.

(06-10-2015 05:33 AM)MPythonGirl Wrote:  I'm on an Atheist vs. Theists debate group on Facebook. I am getting "No True" Atheist fallacies, and being accused of playing both sides of Pascals wager. Also being accused of using the word wrong...

I get that from both groups. I'll identify as agnostic of atheist, depending on the situation. I've seen atheists accuse agnostics of trying to shy away from the stigma of the word "atheist", and I've seen theists say that agnostic atheists are just trying to redefine the word to either consolidate two groups into one, or to be edgelords.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
07-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Meaningless without a well-defined claim to consider.

As ever.

... this is my signature!
07-10-2015, 01:39 PM
In short, anyone who claims to be a 1 or 7 has redefined the scale to make those numbers mean as close to a 7 or a 1 as possible; thus, eliminating the mathematical possibility that a super close 1 or a super close 7 couldn't be anything else than what it is supposed to be in its most absolute sense.

It's just mental gymnastics to assure themselves of their humanly unobtainable belief is, in fact, obtainable... that is, if you redefine a few things here and there.

Summary: if you're human, it's impossible to be an absolute 1 or 7.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]