Agnostic triple whammy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2016, 10:57 AM
RE: Agnostic triple whammy
(20-06-2016 07:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think it is based on others' belief systems, just their word definitions. Consider

I mean that if there were no theists, no one would be labeling people "atheists". I don't believe what they do, but they need a word to describe me in terms of their own belief system.

(20-06-2016 07:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  Shut up you silly edgelord. Tongue

Everyone knows I'm just here to post controversial beliefs. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2016, 11:48 AM
(20-06-2016 10:57 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 07:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think it is based on others' belief systems, just their word definitions. Consider

I mean that if there were no theists, no one would be labeling people "atheists". I don't believe what they do, but they need a word to describe me in terms of their own belief system.

(20-06-2016 07:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  Shut up you silly edgelord. Tongue

Everyone knows I'm just here to post controversial beliefs. Tongue

Well I ain't having no truck with it. Get in yer box!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-06-2016, 05:49 PM
(20-06-2016 01:08 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  When I told a Christian minister "If Jesus why not Mohammed" he became shirty and called me "morally sick".

Go back and tell him that faith without works is dead, the volcano is hungry, and that you've heard that Christians value virginity almost as much as Pele does. Sadly not one in ten will get it.

Quote:The point of the OP is a psychological one. Why is it that people think that a position of 'knowing' on this existential subject is so superior to not 'knowing', to the extent of attracting jibes? My old philosophy prof used to say "The only thing I can be sure of is that I might be wrong". OK, this may not have validity in the sense of formal logic, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Why does this simple observation raise so many hackles?

Typically, that simple observation doesn't raise hackles. You've stated it as a philosophical concept that I can agree with. The problems begin when somebody starts with the "I'm right, you're wrong" idiocy.

Every few months we get a gnostic agnostic come through. Yes, I know that's a contradiction in terms but it's the best description for the contradictory little beasties that are absolutely certain of their own uncertainty and superiority. One of the more recent ones prattled on for two whole months about how we couldn't know for a certainty that the universe wasn't 6 days old. He didn't believe that, just didn't believe we could rationally disbelieve it either. That's an extreme example to be certain and you get it from both sides of the fence, or in your case from multiple sides. That's one of the reasons I identify as an atheist. Less BS to put up with and fewer conversion attempts.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
20-06-2016, 10:36 PM
(19-06-2016 05:28 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  IMO, agnosticism is the only honest and reasonable position.
Anybody trying to tell you that they have knowledge of whether or not there is a deity is totally full of shit. They don't have that knowledge.
I have to disagree with this Matt. As a lifelong atheist, I'm personally 100% certain that supernatural entities—such as so-called gods—don't exist. And I'm certainly not "totally full of shit". You've never met me or spoken with me, so in reality you have not the faintest of ideas of precisely what I'm full of—shit or otherwise LOL.

Quote:There is a fuckload about the universe that we don't know.
Agree totally. But that in and of itself doesn't give any evidential support to the theists' claims about the existence of their gods. Using your logic, it could well be that leprechauns and fairies exist. I don't understand anything at all about string theory, but I'd be a fool to say it's all bullshit.

Quote:I don't see any reason to rule anything out until we figure out this whole "something from nothing" bit.
In that case, you'll never subscribe to atheism. I'm guessing that you're religiously agnostic, which is a perfectly reasonable state of mind. But you need to be very careful about lightly dismissing the viewpoints of either theism or atheism.

Quote:The agnostic, just like the skeptic, is simply waiting for evidence before jumping to a conclusion.
I notice that you're conflating "skeptic" with "atheist". They each involve two totally different states of mind; they're not interchangeable definitions of the same thing. And as an atheist (and a skeptic as well), I'm definitely not waiting for proof that mythical gods don't exist; if anything, I'd be waiting for proof that gods do exist—but we both know that ain't never gonna happen.

And as far as the origins of life go, you might like to check out THIS site, which posits that life could've occurred randomly and spontaneously (and to which theory I ascribe).

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
21-06-2016, 02:57 AM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2016 03:04 AM by Dworkin.)
(20-06-2016 05:49 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Typically, that simple observation doesn't raise hackles. You've stated it as a philosophical concept that I can agree with. The problems begin when somebody starts with the "I'm right, you're wrong" idiocy.

Every few months we get a gnostic agnostic come through. Yes, I know that's a contradiction in terms but it's the best description for the contradictory little beasties that are absolutely certain of their own uncertainty and superiority. One of the more recent ones prattled on for two whole months about how we couldn't know for a certainty that the universe wasn't 6 days old. He didn't believe that, just didn't believe we could rationally disbelieve it either. That's an extreme example to be certain and you get it from both sides of the fence, or in your case from multiple sides. That's one of the reasons I identify as an atheist. Less BS to put up with and fewer conversion attempts.

Paleophyte,

Yes, I get the feeling that when I say "I may be wrong" the other guy takes this as a snarky way of saying "You may be wrong".

When a theist meets an opposite number they know for sure that there is no point in
it, but my doubt gives them an 'in'.

A while back some Jehovah's Witnesses came to my front door. By coincidence I was wearing a white t-shirt under a black jumper. I looked like a Catholic priest and pretended to be one. I gave them the whole 'follow the true God' number. Those guys were speechless and looked like I was p****** on their shoes! As they ran (yes they did run) down the path I gave them the sign of the cross and 'Pax vobiscum my children'. Laugh out load

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post