Agora and the history of Hypatia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2011, 02:18 PM

Agora and the history of Hypatia
Has anyone seen the movie "Agora"? It is about the life of Hypatia, about the Christian fascism that murdered her, and the destruction of the library in Alexandria.

I figured I'd post this in the Atheism and Theism section, rather than in the movies section, because I'm curious as to your thoughts on women such as Hypatia and how the church seems to act towards them (in a word, brutal, more so than the church acts towards free-thinking men).
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2011, 02:47 PM
RE: Agora and the history of Hypatia
I've never heard of Agora, I'm assuming it's worth watching though.

As for the Church's acts towards women, I distinctly remember the elders at my church waving the question aside when I asked "If God is our heavenly father, who's our heavenly mother?" Their answer "God is both" That answer bothered me, even though I wasn't even a teenager yet. It seemed to me to be that our heavenly mother was left out of the story, which I didn't see as fair. But now I understand that religions are made by men (not mankind, but men).

I agree that women who have attempted to go against the church have gotten it much worse than the men who have, merely because of the idea that women were property to be traded, and are not equal to men. I'm too young to have been there, but my old church lost a large chunk of members when they started to allow women to be ministers. I was even more surprised to find women who agree that they shouldn't be allowed to be in the priesthood.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2011, 03:06 PM

(06-03-2011 02:47 PM)Glaucus Wrote:  I've never heard of Agora, I'm assuming it's worth watching though.

It's fantastic!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186830/
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Christianity has always seen women as a lower form of life than men. It seems that a lot of christianity was written by what are now called "male chauvinist pigs". I don't understand how any woman can see christianity as a viable religion.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
06-03-2011, 07:10 PM
It's an excellent movie - although they take quite a few liberties, but that's the nature of the medium. Racheal Weitz is uber hottt!
06-03-2011, 09:37 PM
I haven't seen the movie.

I'm curios whether any religion or denomination thereof treats women fairly Sad

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
07-03-2011, 12:42 AM
(06-03-2011 09:37 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I haven't seen the movie.

I'm curios whether any religion or denomination thereof treats women fairly Sad

Wicca does, but given that most Wiccans live in patriarchies ... it's kind of a moot point.

In the past, on some south Pacific islands, there were matriarchal societies. I don't know much about their inner workings, but I'm sure they were less discriminatory (toward females) if not reversed discriminatory (toward males).