Agreeing to disagree
I hate this.

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2011, 06:44 PM

RE: Agreeing to disagree
Why? (Message Too Short, but I have nothing else to say until latvian elaborates).
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2011, 10:54 AM

While I don't really hate the term, I would understand why you could hate it.
It's the equivalent of "Well, it's my OPINION" which is all fine and dandy, but it's pretty annoying when someone pulls it out of left field during a debate especially when you've got so much more to say.
07-01-2011, 11:25 AM
''Lets agree to disagree'' sounds like a proposition to stop the debate/discussion and just live with it and not talk about it again.
But how do you hate it?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
07-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Because then you don't get the satisfaction of knowing you e-cannibalized the other person! :D
07-01-2011, 08:53 PM
"You can have your own opinion, but fact is universal" - This is what I say when someone asks me to agree to disagree.

Though there would be some situations where it wouldn't work, this is usually and argument used by people with really odd ideas that don't fit in with reality.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
07-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I'd usually rather agree to disagree than have an argument. I'm not good at it. I'm usually too much of a weenie, and I get tired quickly and give up. Wish I was better at it though, sometimes!

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
08-01-2011, 04:39 PM
It is rough going head to head with a person who has a skull so thick that there is no room left for a brain. Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
09-01-2011, 12:29 AM

(07-01-2011 08:53 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  "You can have your own opinion, but fact is universal" - This is what I say when someone asks me to agree to disagree.

Though there would be some situations where it wouldn't work, this is usually and argument used by people with really odd ideas that don't fit in with reality.

LOL, I love that!!
09-01-2011, 12:53 AM
There is a time when it is appropriate to agree to disagree. This is generally when both sides actually have facts which support opposite conclusions. Statistics in particular tend to lend themselves to this type of scenario.