Agreeing to disagree

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2011, 04:45 PM
RE: Agreeing to disagree
(09-01-2011 12:53 AM)gamutman Wrote:  There is a time when it is appropriate to agree to disagree. This is generally when both sides actually have facts which support opposite conclusions. Statistics in particular tend to lend themselves to this type of scenario.

Yes, but religions do not have statistics to support them. The have lies.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2011, 05:19 PM
I can understand why you would hate this notion, and in fact I do too.

It's basically saying "I'll allow you to go on being wrong" from both sides. Unless it is purely a matter of opinion, this ultimatum is by far the worst thing that you can ever say in a discussion/debate/argument (whatever you want to call it).
09-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Scenario:

Me: Mom, the fact of the matter is nothing in science can be proven. Instead, we can only say what hasn't been disproven, and what ever else is remaining, what of that has evidence
Mom: Well, has science disproven the existance of Yahweh?
Me: Well, yes
Mom: HA, no they haven't
Me: Mom, yes. It is impossible that the god Yahweh of the Holy Bible exists.
Mom: Okay Brandon, whatever you say

That to me is basically saying "Heh, I have no evidence to back up my claims, so I am going to make it out to sound like you are an idiot when actually I am the one being factually incorrect"

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
10-01-2011, 06:19 AM
Actually, mom is right: science has not disproven the existence of Yahweh. Listen to your mother!

Oh, and, I don't agree that nothing in science can be proven. Lots of things are definitively proven.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
10-01-2011, 06:44 AM

If nothing in science can be proven then we should all give up and hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster!
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I usually start in agreeing to disagree BEFORE the real discussion. In that way they can't bring it up again later to end the discussion. Tongue

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
10-01-2011, 03:11 PM
You don't need science to disprove Yahweh. The bible does that very effectively.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
10-01-2011, 08:36 PM
The God of the Bible can not exist, it is simply impossible. After writing a research paper about this subject, I am pretty positive there is no possiblity he can exist.
12-01-2011, 04:17 PM
(10-01-2011 06:19 AM)BnW Wrote:  Actually, mom is right: science has not disproven the existence of Yahweh. Listen to your mother!

Actually, yes, it has. The Yahweh of the Bible - the god who flooded the Earth, created the Garden of Eden, parted the Red Sea, etc., never existed. We've proven that those things never happened. Thus, the god who performed those acts (Yahweh) does not exist.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner