Agrument Against the Sacrificial Death of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2013, 09:16 PM

RE: Agrument Against the Sacrificial Death of Jesus
(08-02-2013 05:59 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Isn't the bible meant to be understood by all of those who read it? Would it be fair for God to hide its meaning from anyone, especially since eternal life hangs in the balance? Wouldn't it be even more important for a non-believer to understand the bible than someone who is already "saved"?

Nope.

Quote:And why are you so sure that it's due to one's mindset when considering that most Christians easily spot Jesus' death as a sacrifice? Surely their "mindset" isn't getting in the way of bible interpretation. Or maybe when you see the phrase "Lamb of God" you think, "Oh, Jesus must need protection and guidance like a typical lamb" rather than "Oh, they must be making a reference to the same thing you see whenever the bible speaks about lambs (blood sacrifice)".

I'm not getting into this discussion here. You don't throw pearls like these in front of atheist pigs.

It's the return of the "Oh wait, no way, your kidding, He didn't just say what I think he did, did he?"

Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 09:26 PM
(08-02-2013 09:16 PM)Egor Wrote:  I'm not getting into this discussion here. You don't throw pearls like these in front of atheist pigs.
So... you're not a fan of the webcomic "The Atheist Pig"? Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
08-02-2013, 09:44 PM
(08-02-2013 08:44 AM)Impulse Wrote:  The problem I have with Jesus' death as a sacrifice, like Phaedrus, concerns saving us from original sin. Original sin was a transgression against God. A transgression can't be undone, but could be repented or made up for. But, in order for that to happen, the repentance must be done by the transgressor which was not Jesus. Logically, Jesus' death would be unrelated to original sin and it makes no sense that it would somehow save anyone from it.
I believe this is called vicarious redemption

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
09-02-2013, 01:03 AM
(08-02-2013 09:16 PM)Egor Wrote:  I'm not getting into this discussion here. You don't throw pearls like these in front of atheist pigs.

So then, a question is begged. I'll leave it to you to state it, and answer it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study. "I believe Mr. Peanut is the Messiah" -- onlinebiker
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-02-2013, 01:02 PM
(08-02-2013 09:16 PM)Egor Wrote:  
Quote:And why are you so sure that it's due to one's mindset when considering that most Christians easily spot Jesus' death as a sacrifice? Surely their "mindset" isn't getting in the way of bible interpretation. Or maybe when you see the phrase "Lamb of God" you think, "Oh, Jesus must need protection and guidance like a typical lamb" rather than "Oh, they must be making a reference to the same thing you see whenever the bible speaks about lambs (blood sacrifice)".

I'm not getting into this discussion here. You don't throw pearls like these in front of atheist pigs.

It's the return of the "Oh wait, no way, your kidding, He didn't just say what I think he did, did he?"

I don't think you understood my argument. I said that the majority of Christians believe that Jesus was a sacrifice. Do you think the Christian pigs that make such an assertion are also undeserving of your "pearls", or are these pearls imaginary? I don't think I'd "get into this discussion here" either if I had nothing intelligent to say on the topic.

We throw pearls, and you trample on them. You seriously don't understand what to do with an argument, so you do things like pretend that a forum about atheism and theism is the wrong place to debate issues of atheism or theism.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
09-02-2013, 02:41 PM
(08-02-2013 06:59 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If an alien showed up, can you imagine : "What is *sac-ree-fice* ?" Huh
Weeping

Sorry to interject here but uh... your alien sounds like a hillbilly. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
09-02-2013, 03:43 PM
I don't know, getting tied up in the specifics in the crucifixion of Christ kind of misses the larger question for me. Which is: Why did an all powerful "Omniscient" God create a race of beings that were going to do things that made him mad and wanted to kill them in the first place? God knows the number of hairs on the head of every single person who ever lived but didn't forsee Eve eating the apple? If he did forsee it, then he intended it to happen, so why is he getting mad about it and trying to drown his creation for behaving in the ways that he planned? He intentionally creates a world with sin and then has to solve his own problem by coming down to earth through the womb of a virgin and getting nailed to a cross, really? The bible reads less like a book of truth and more like a game of mad libs.

So why bother debating the finer points of an imaginary religious figures sacrifice when the whole premise of a "savior" just seems ridiculous and unnecessary?
[+] 1 user Likes Unholy Fool's post
09-02-2013, 04:07 PM

(09-02-2013 01:02 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I don't think you understood my argument. I said that the majority of Christians believe that Jesus was a sacrifice. Do you think the Christian pigs that make such an assertion are also undeserving of your "pearls", or are these pearls imaginary? I don't think I'd "get into this discussion here" either if I had nothing intelligent to say on the topic.

Already said it. I just posted a gospel teaching on it. http://veridican.org/library.html

Quote:We throw pearls, and you trample on them. You seriously don't understand what to do with an argument, so you do things like pretend that a forum about atheism and theism is the wrong place to debate issues of atheism or theism.

My forum is the place to talk about it. This forum is a hell hole for atheists to come together and tell each other the stink of sulfur really isn't that bad.

What Jesus did on the cross, what he did in his life, is completely lost on atheists. You ridiculous fools don't even believe God exists--so why do you go on about the things of Christ? Are you looking for something? Are you missing something? Shouldn't you just be out breeding or dying somewhere? What could Christ possibly mean to you? Huh
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2013, 04:11 PM
(08-02-2013 09:16 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 05:59 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Isn't the bible meant to be understood by all of those who read it? Would it be fair for God to hide its meaning from anyone, especially since eternal life hangs in the balance? Wouldn't it be even more important for a non-believer to understand the bible than someone who is already "saved"?

Nope.

Poor old Egor mustn't be getting much attention on his own website/forum, (I don't know what exactly it is... haven't been bothered to look in the last 6 months,) so he posts something inflammatory here, and implies he'll discuss it only on HIS forum. He
1. is just trying to kid himself that he's still important by getting a response...any response
2. is hoping to get traffic to his website.

Our boy's not very bright.

He's fun to watch though (provided the abuse isn't upsetting anyone.)

PS. How ironic! While I was writing this he posted an invite to his forum LOL
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2013, 04:33 PM
(09-02-2013 04:07 PM)Egor Wrote:  You ridiculous fools don't even believe God exists
According to you, we actually do. Drinking Beverage
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post