Ah Ha Moment, did you have one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Ah Ha Moment, did you have one?
As a never-believer I'm a bit fascinated about how theists came to leave their faith behind. The struggle from indoctrination and fear of rejection from others is sometimes long and arduous and sometimes an epiphany.

Did you have an "Ah ha!" moment? Or if not then how did you come to your reason.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
27-12-2015, 08:04 PM
RE: Ah Ha Moment, did you have one?
Yeah, when I was 4.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 6 users Like Banjo's post
27-12-2015, 09:12 PM
I guess it had been building for a while, but there was one very memorable moment.

Back in early 2012, I was listening to lecture videos on youtube and one of the suggested clips on the side was: "Christopher Hitchens destroys religion in 10 minutes". It was from a speech he gave in Seattle, way back when.

At the time, I had a strong belief in a creating deity of some type, but I had mostly given up my Catholic upbringing. So I thought, "Yeah, this should be good," and watched it. When it was over, I sat back and said, out loud "Motherfucker".

I didn't want to believe him, but it made too much sense. I could almost hear switches clicking in my head as things I had heard and read over the years started adding up.

Since then I've been reading, listening, learning. I research, I discuss and I try to think. I check sources, references, refute and verify. But everything comes back to that one video with Hitchens when everything fell into place.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 6 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
27-12-2015, 09:38 PM
(27-12-2015 09:12 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I guess it had been building for a while, but there was one very memorable moment.

Back in early 2012, I was listening to lecture videos on youtube and one of the suggested clips on the side was: "Christopher Hitchens destroys religion in 10 minutes". It was from a speech he gave in Seattle, way back when.

At the time, I had a strong belief in a creating deity of some type, but I had mostly given up my Catholic upbringing. So I thought, "Yeah, this should be good," and watched it. When it was over, I sat back and said, out loud "Motherfucker".

I didn't want to believe him, but it made too much sense. I could almost hear switches clicking in my head as things I had heard and read over the years started adding up.

Since then I've been reading, listening, learning. I research, I discuss and I try to think. I check sources, references, refute and verify. But everything comes back to that one video with Hitchens when everything fell into place.

Thank you. Interesting. I never looked that up until now. I love the N Korean analogy. Very good. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuI4Nzc07Io

This is a link to his speech.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
27-12-2015, 09:51 PM
I was never indoctrinated as a kid. I never really thought about religion either way until I was in my 40's. I think my first ah-ha type moment came from watching George Carlin talk about religion. He summed up pretty well how I felt (and still feel today) about religion.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
27-12-2015, 10:01 PM
I really didn't. I don't remember what age, but I do remember that by the time I was old enough to realize that not everyone believes in God, I already realized I didn't. I've never been very aggressive with my non-belief, though. I continued to go to church for years with my family and even enjoyed it without ever feeling the need to come out, so to speak. I was even quite active in the youth program, and went through the church membership process when I turned 16. Then again, whether scientifically accurate or not, I've also identified as a borderline psychopath since I was a kid. So putting on a happy mask and pretending like I'm part of the herd is nothing new or uncomfortable to me, really. It's just part of life. Always has been.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
27-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Not being raised in religion I never had an "ah-ha" moment but I did have a "hahaha" moment when I discovered at the age of 9 or 10 that some guy named Jesus was supposed to be the son of god.

" Hahaha"

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 6 users Like dancefortwo's post
27-12-2015, 11:23 PM
I pretty much just started over because I wasn't satisfied at all with my belief system, and decided to look at things objectively. I was exposed to Carl Sagan already, so that helped a lot.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
27-12-2015, 11:41 PM
(27-12-2015 10:02 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Not being raised in religion I never had an "ah-ha" moment but I did have a "hahaha" moment when I discovered at the age of 9 or 10 that some guy named Jesus was supposed to be the son of god.

" Hahaha"

That's kind of like me. I've mentioned somehow getting a kids bible and read the Adam and Eve thing and then they had two sons then there were all these women around and in my 4 year old mind I thought "WTF?"

Oh man, people believe that utter rubbish??? Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
28-12-2015, 01:29 AM
Yeah, when my age was in the single digits. I don't even understand how it's possible for a grown adult to believe in fairy tales. I wish someone would explain it to me.
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post