Ah Ha Moment, did you have one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2016, 03:32 PM
RE: Ah Ha Moment, did you have one?
(14-03-2016 03:25 PM)herrozerro Wrote:  
(14-03-2016 11:02 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  I don't understand how anyone can take the twat seriously.

Well, I was brought up into it from like the age of 8 onwards. When it's presented to you in a way that makes it like some kind of obvious truth that everyone is against, it validates your own beliefs.

I think that this is the sad part. It's why christards concentrate on the young (in more ways than one). Someone said, give me the boy until he is 7 and I will give you the man. The christards indoctrinate the young and, baring a miracle, they are lost to humanity and dwell in the land of stupidity forever.

Occasionally, one escapes when older but not often.

I hate religtards with a passion.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2016, 05:41 PM
When I was 12 there were many influences driving me toward atheism but after a few months of my religious friends acting like homophobic bigots, learning about evolution in Biology class where my teacher was forced to teach us how creationism might also be real (he didn't believe it was) and then learning about Greek Mythology I had a moment.

I remember talking with a friend of mine who wasn't very religious and she asked me if I was an atheist. I said I had no idea what that is and she said it's someone who doesn't believe in God. At first I thought "Ok but that doesn't' mean he just ceases to exist just because you don't believe." Later on in class I remember thinking "Maybe there is no God." Suddenly a lot of the questions and issues I had been dealing with made much more sense. There was no reason to hate people based on the old laws of the Bible, There is no reason to refute evolution, the Greek myths were a religion but they don't exist and eventually they stopped believing. Every question I had about the bad things that had ever happened to me when I thought "Why would God allow this?" suddenly had an answer "There is no God, our lives are what we make it, good things and bad things just happen everyday to good and bad people and we have to just make the best of it and learn from it." It was like feeling a closure and a new beginning, a new path. Christians like to say that the truth will set you free and I did feel free and there hasn't been one moment since then where I thought there was a God, I'm still free and I still feel at peace as an atheist.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
14-03-2016, 05:54 PM
(28-12-2015 11:28 AM)jennybee Wrote:  As a Catholic, I never actually read the Bible. I was spoon-fed the good passages in church. I grew up thinking God was love and the Bible was truly the *good* book. I believed in praying to saints and on rosaries. It didn't seem weird to me because everyone I knew was doing it. I became a Christian as an adult because I had several friends who were Jesus freaks and I was at a point in my life where I wanted to know more about God and they seemed to be really knowledgeable about the Bible and about God. Again, I was spoon-fed only the good passages.

I knew about evolution, but I just believed that God *allowed* it to happen. Facepalm

One day, I decided to do a little extra biblical reading on my own. I got to the passage in Matthew where the dead saints rose from their graves and started walking around the city. Hobo Well, that was the beginning of my path to atheism.

When I told my parents I was atheist they asked me to read the Bible, I loved to read as a kid and I was really getting into mythology so I was "Ok, yeah! Let's read this thing!" I read it every night for a few months. By the time I was done I went to my dad and thanked him for the book and said "Yup, I'm definitely an atheist." He wanted me to read it again which I have over the years but yeah, the best way to become an atheist, read the book, have an open mind, be a moral person, don't let anyone "explain" to you what the passages "mean", and then presto! You're an Atheist! I still own that Bible, it's leather bound and bit worn from use but I consider it one of my prized possessions, I like to know what I don't believe in, it gives me a leg up on a lot of Christians who have never studied other religions, science or philosophy.

[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
14-03-2016, 06:23 PM
(14-03-2016 05:41 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  When I was 12 there were many influences driving me toward atheism but after a few months of my religious friends acting like homophobic bigots, learning about evolution in Biology class where my teacher was forced to teach us how creationism might also be real (he didn't believe it was) and then learning about Greek Mythology I had a moment.

I remember talking with a friend of mine who wasn't very religious and she asked me if I was an atheist. I said I had no idea what that is and she said it's someone who doesn't believe in God. At first I thought "Ok but that doesn't' mean he just ceases to exist just because you don't believe." Later on in class I remember thinking "Maybe there is no God." Suddenly a lot of the questions and issues I had been dealing with made much more sense. There was no reason to hate people based on the old laws of the Bible, There is no reason to refute evolution, the Greek myths were a religion but they don't exist and eventually they stopped believing. Every question I had about the bad things that had ever happened to me when I thought "Why would God allow this?" suddenly had an answer "There is no God, our lives are what we make it, good things and bad things just happen everyday to good and bad people and we have to just make the best of it and learn from it." It was like feeling a closure and a new beginning, a new path. Christians like to say that the truth will set you free and I did feel free and there hasn't been one moment since then where I thought there was a God, I'm still free and I still feel at peace as an atheist.

I'm an atheist through and through. That said, I've read a lot about religions and christardology in particular. However, I've also read about the Roman and Greek gods too.

Back then, there was no set time/day to pray. You could pray to whatever god was appropriate. For example, if you wanted to get your wife pregnant and have a son, you prayed to one of the fertility gods. If you wanted a good harvest, you prayed to one of the agricultural gods. You only prayed when you wanted their help. If you didn't want their help, you didn't pray to a god. They were there to serve you - not the other way around. That was their function in life. Back then, god was above Man but not like this yahoo character that's called god. The Greek and Roman gods were above Man, but no so much so and Man was not subservient to them like Man is to yahoo today.

The gods, back then were as real to the Romans and Greeks as I am to you.

The gods required Man to go out into the world and investigate, explore and bring back knowledge for the benefit of Man - not for the benefit of their god.

Man build buildings and created art - not to glorify the gods but to glorify the achievements of Man.

Back in those days, Man had a place and a respected one in the Universe. It was one that he deserved and respected.

Under this regime, it was difficult to hijack Mankind and control him.

By creating one god (yahoo) and making him powerful and scary, it was possible to create fear in Man and once that has been achieved, Mankind can then be controlled by the christard clergy.

To do this, chistard clergy murdered millions who opposed them. It has been estimated by some that between 100 - 200 million souls were murdered over the centuries by christards in an attempt to control Mankind. Not bad for a cult that professes to be good and kind and loving and forgiving. That number does not include the millions of souls that they raped, pillaged, enslaved and tortured.

As a result, Mankind has become subservient to a fictitious god and has lost his place in the universe.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 3 users Like god has no twitter account's post
14-03-2016, 07:04 PM
(14-03-2016 06:23 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  I'm an atheist through and through. That said, I've read a lot about religions and christardology in particular. However, I've also read about the Roman and Greek gods too.

Back then, there was no set time/day to pray. You could pray to whatever god was appropriate. For example, if you wanted to get your wife pregnant and have a son, you prayed to one of the fertility gods. If you wanted a good harvest, you prayed to one of the agricultural gods. You only prayed when you wanted their help. If you didn't want their help, you didn't pray to a god. They were there to serve you - not the other way around. That was their function in life. Back then, god was above Man but not like this yahoo character that's called god. The Greek and Roman gods were above Man, but no so much so and Man was not subservient to them like Man is to yahoo today.

The gods, back then were as real to the Romans and Greeks as I am to you.

The gods required Man to go out into the world and investigate, explore and bring back knowledge for the benefit of Man - not for the benefit of their god.

Man build buildings and created art - not to glorify the gods but to glorify the achievements of Man.

Back in those days, Man had a place and a respected one in the Universe. It was one that he deserved and respected.

Under this regime, it was difficult to hijack Mankind and control him.

By creating one god (yahoo) and making him powerful and scary, it was possible to create fear in Man and once that has been achieved, Mankind can then be controlled by the christard clergy.

To do this, chistard clergy murdered millions who opposed them. It has been estimated by some that between 100 - 200 million souls were murdered over the centuries by christards in an attempt to control Mankind. Not bad for a cult that professes to be good and kind and loving and forgiving. That number does not include the millions of souls that they raped, pillaged, enslaved and tortured.

As a result, Mankind has become subservient to a fictitious god and has lost his place in the universe.

You make a good point about mythology which is why I love it so much, the gods were very human and didn't pretend to be any different, they were weak and prone to temptation, some more than others but they were like ideals to aspire to. I always liked that they were more equal to humans in some ways, not above us, just different because they are immortal and all. I'm not even sure how many people back then actually believed they were real but went along with it because it made more sense than not believing in anything plus this was before major scientific advancements. If someone said, "Yeah that big glowing orb in the sky is the sun god Apollo and he's riding his chariot across the sky." we might all think "Ok sure, why not?" and just be done with it. I'd like to think I would question it but I'm no scientist.

Your comment reminded me of a debate I had with a Christian last week who kept saying that if Christianity isn't the one true religion than how did it spread from 12 homeless guys to the billions of today. I told her it was because many governments back then favored it and through fear, intimidation and war it was spread and anyone who wasn't Christian was brutally killed or indoctrinated, some were even enslaved and treated very poorly so can a slave really decide what they believe in at this point? It was also a great way to control people. She said those stories are either fabricated or exaggerated. It's really sad she has no concept of how her religion effected world history but I told her read more about it but I doubt she will.

17-03-2016, 10:20 PM
(27-12-2015 08:02 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  As a never-believer I'm a bit fascinated about how theists came to leave their faith behind. The struggle from indoctrination and fear of rejection from others is sometimes long and arduous and sometimes an epiphany.

Did you have an "Ah ha!" moment? Or if not then how did you come to your reason.

I doubt many would have that kind of a reaction. I think de-conversion is usually quite a long cycle of nagging doubt, research, panic, denial, more nagging doubt, more research, more panic, confronting fears, before finally either accepting reality or going back into denial. I think there is a sort of point of no return though... The more you educate yourself, the more you find that your doubts are justified. At some point, you will never be able to read or listen to any religious material without mentally deconstructing it, and exposing its faults.

I had an easier time of it really. I wasn't actively religious, but I still kind of believed... What made me question the whole thing was the fact that I found religion and science incompatible. So I researched it... I had no real emotional ties to my beliefs, I just wanted to find out the truth. At some point I could see where the path was leading, and accepted that the idea of a god was probably bullshit...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
27-03-2016, 07:55 PM
I never had a eureka moment. Even as a child say 5 or 6 I found the idea of a loving (dead)Jesus who I was to believe watched over me a bit of a stretch of the imagination. Actually nothing I heard or was led to believe made sense.

The bible (what little I've been able to wade through) made no sense. I did believe in God but in a sort of half believing way; he was there but not there.

I have been an atheist most if not all of my life though realizing it and fully accepting it has been a long process. Religions, all of them require Faith and not scientific proof.
And I see nothing in cosmology that even suggests a super being to start the universe much less life and especially human life.

It has only been recently I've fully accepted my atheism, perhaps a year. I mentioned in another post I am a full time atheist. (In answer to the question in one post the pay for a full time atheist is the same as for a part timer).Facepalm

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
[+] 1 user Likes Ro3bert's post