Ah Ha Moment, did you have one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2015, 02:56 PM
RE: Ah Ha Moment, did you have one?
(27-12-2015 08:02 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  As a never-believer I'm a bit fascinated about how theists came to leave their faith behind. The struggle from indoctrination and fear of rejection from others is sometimes long and arduous and sometimes an epiphany.

Did you have an "Ah ha!" moment? Or if not then how did you come to your reason.

You might want to check out this thread. It's full of those stories.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-12-2015, 02:58 PM
I had my "de-conversation" at age 12 or 13, and it was more that I just came to terms with the fact that I never REALLY believed any of it, and I wasn't going to hide that fact or beat myself up about it any more.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
28-12-2015, 03:04 PM
There was that one time when I finally grokked Cantor's Diagonalization and realized "Holy fucking Jesus shit. Infinity ain't one sized." Hobo

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-12-2015, 03:21 PM
(28-12-2015 02:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(27-12-2015 08:02 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  As a never-believer I'm a bit fascinated about how theists came to leave their faith behind. The struggle from indoctrination and fear of rejection from others is sometimes long and arduous and sometimes an epiphany.

Did you have an "Ah ha!" moment? Or if not then how did you come to your reason.

You might want to check out this thread. It's full of those stories.

Thank you, Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
28-12-2015, 08:07 PM
I don't know if I had an ah ha moment. I've questioned my religion for a very long time, just never really had the guts to admit that it was full of shit Laughat

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
29-12-2015, 01:47 AM
I just talked to a friend about his feelings from having an ah ha moment when he read the Tao Te Ching. I felt like I never had such a thing for any similar experience.

Though I do kinda for a labeling essence. I hadn't believed anything but never had any static defining idea, but then I read a little article of this book, maybe called I believe... that wasn't religious but had collected celebrities stating something they felt strongly about. I read bits of it in a Boarders and Penn Jillette had a essay about how he believed he was beyond atheism. On how the proposition of believing in a god wasn't even worth justifying or communicating about, and while I don't always agree to that stance these days I did have an aha then.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
29-12-2015, 03:39 AM
My realisation that religion is just harmful hateful bullshit came shortly after my family cut me off, I started to actually question my religion and it didn't take long for me to see it for what it really is, harmful hateful bullshit.
[+] 2 users Like Thewonderer's post
29-12-2015, 07:14 AM
My first A-Ha moment came when that animated hand reached out to me from behind the dairy products at a supermarket.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 4 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
29-12-2015, 10:23 AM
(28-12-2015 03:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There was that one time when I finally grokked Cantor's Diagonalization and realized "Holy fucking Jesus shit. Infinity ain't one sized." Hobo

Yeah, me too. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Yeah...my adult daughter was asking me to explain the Book of John from the NT to her...she didn't understand ....ok listen I will tell you....."he dwelt among us and we did not recognize him.....the word was from the beginning ....the word was made flesh and dwelt......." WTF?.....I had bought into and believed this stuff for 50years........she then asked....did he really walk on the red sea? ah...well ....ahhhh....hum...?

Yeah it all sorta came crashing down real sudden like..
[+] 2 users Like John Silver's post