Ah Ha Moment, did you have one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2016, 10:10 PM
RE: Ah Ha Moment, did you have one?
(25-02-2016 09:31 PM)DavidCG Wrote:  I grew up protestant. I went to private school for my elementary education. I went to church regularly, and have strongly religious family. I even studied an a major christian university. I majored in Philosophy with a minor in Biblical Studies.

There were several things that led me away. First, my studies in Philosophy. I took philosophy of religion classes and learned apologetic arguements. But there were several that were unconvincing (arguement from design, the ontological arguement). Second, I was exposed to other thoughts and ideas in Christianity. All of the ideas were mutually exclusive. I was already deviating away from standard christian beleif. I lost my beleif in mind body dualism, and was often accused of being a closet deist. But the final straw for me came a month ago.

Last year was the worst in my entire life, and I prayed and my family and friends prayed too. None of them were answered. No prayers get answered. I then concluded that God does not exist.

We have a saying in the atheist community, "Nothing fails like prayer."

My POV has always been, no evidence for gods so I can't even consider the possibility... but even if I could consider it, even if I could believe it, I would never worship an immoral and cruel god like the one men have invented. Never.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
25-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Thats one thing I'm glad I'll never really understand. It must be scary to think someone is listening and then one day realise no one is. All I can tell you DavidCG is its very freeing outside. Give it time. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
25-02-2016, 10:40 PM
Yeah, actually it's odd. It's investing time, energy, and money. (Christian College isn't cheap) into a relationship and then realizing no one's there. Learning to depend on something that doesn't exist. I'm glad I figured it out.
[+] 6 users Like DavidCG's post
02-03-2016, 05:06 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 05:19 AM by Krypttonigt.)
I remember thinking something along the lines of "why do all the adults think that these stories are actually real??" when I was a child in sunday school, going to church and having the bible read to me as a bedtime story each night by my dad (who ended up becoming atheist himself maaaaany years later). I don't think I ever truly bought what anybody was selling, I just instinctively thought of everything as just being a story much like Little Red Riding Hood :-D

By the time I was 15 I found out what an atheist was and realised "oh yeah, that's me". It was all instinctual really, can't say where it came from.
I made the mistake of coming out while I was attending my very religiously Christian high school and got rather horribly bullied for it which only made my stance stronger than ever. After school no one seemed to give a rat's ass if I was a theist or not and met a great many fellow non-believers :-)

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**
[+] 2 users Like Krypttonigt's post
02-03-2016, 01:53 PM
After reading all these stories it makes me think how unfortunate it is that we ever had to have that ah-ha moment. Some people had/has it pretty rough.
My wife is a believer and doesn't much like me discussing with our kids my lack of faith or overall lack of tolerance for religion. By lack of tolerance I simply mean if someone thinks they are going to start a conversation about a great all knowing god I will make my feelings known.
Anyway, I hope my kids never have a serious ah-ha type moment. I will do my best to try to make their worst story be as meaningless as "remember when we used to pray before dinner? That was wierd. "
[+] 2 users Like edbaldwin's post
14-03-2016, 07:12 AM
For me, it started about two years ago when my wife and I suffered a miscarriage. Long story short, I didn't get mad at God, or any of those other cliches, I just didn't find any comfort in "You'll see your child again someday."

I realized that life is precious and that I didn't truly believe anymore in an afterlife (that realization still gets me a little worked up over death sometimes, but I think I'm coming around to acceptance.) Nothing my pastor or any church members said seemed to be beyond "I'll pray for you", "God's timing", "You'll see her again someday", etc...

I spent about 6 months slowly losing my faith and finally found youtube atheists like Matt Dillahunty, Aron Ra, and Thunderf00t. These people resounded with me, not just with the reason and logic, but Thunderf00t and Aron Ra showed me the science I craved to get answers for. Being brought up young earth creationist with Kent Hovind's videos being my science teacher while i was homeschooled, those two really showed me what I really wanted to know.

Tl;DR: I realized how precious life was and lost my faith in the hope for an afterlife.
[+] 2 users Like herrozerro's post
14-03-2016, 09:35 AM
(14-03-2016 07:12 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  For me, it started about two years ago when my wife and I suffered a miscarriage. Long story short, I didn't get mad at God, or any of those other cliches, I just didn't find any comfort in "You'll see your child again someday."

I realized that life is precious and that I didn't truly believe anymore in an afterlife (that realization still gets me a little worked up over death sometimes, but I think I'm coming around to acceptance.) Nothing my pastor or any church members said seemed to be beyond "I'll pray for you", "God's timing", "You'll see her again someday", etc...

I spent about 6 months slowly losing my faith and finally found youtube atheists like Matt Dillahunty, Aron Ra, and Thunderf00t. These people resounded with me, not just with the reason and logic, but Thunderf00t and Aron Ra showed me the science I craved to get answers for. Being brought up young earth creationist with Kent Hovind's videos being my science teacher while i was homeschooled, those two really showed me what I really wanted to know.

Tl;DR: I realized how precious life was and lost my faith in the hope for an afterlife.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly...02fe8030bf

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
14-03-2016, 10:58 AM
(14-03-2016 09:35 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly...02fe8030bf

Yeah, after looking him up a while ago pretty much shattered my faith in him.
14-03-2016, 11:02 AM
(14-03-2016 10:58 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  
(14-03-2016 09:35 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly...02fe8030bf

Yeah, after looking him up a while ago pretty much shattered my faith in him.

I don't understand how anyone can take the twat seriously.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
14-03-2016, 03:25 PM
(14-03-2016 11:02 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(14-03-2016 10:58 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  Yeah, after looking him up a while ago pretty much shattered my faith in him.

I don't understand how anyone can take the twat seriously.

Well, I was brought up into it from like the age of 8 onwards. When it's presented to you in a way that makes it like some kind of obvious truth that everyone is against, it validates your own beliefs.
[+] 1 user Likes herrozerro's post