Ah, good ol' religious tolerance...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2010, 09:50 AM
RE: Ah, good ol' religious tolerance...
(25-11-2010 07:02 AM)shiranl Wrote:  News? in all over Britain there are Saudis schools teaching those things and much more. And the world say the only obsticle to peace is the settelements.......

Who says that?

I'm part of the world and I think one of the biggest obstacle to peace is how much we tolerate religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2010, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2010 10:51 AM by Ghost.)
That's shocking. It's appauling. For real, that's some of the shittiest claymation I've ever seen!

Crafty Jews with your convincing Hitler to attack people in inclement weather.

I love propaganda. "Mr. Said, we didn't invite you here to cause trouble for us, live on TV." It's like when Jon Stewart was on Crossfire and they said they brought him there to be funny and he just looked at them and said, "I'm not your monkey."

It's also interesting how the term "The Jews" is used. The Jews did X. The Jews lie about Y. The Jews are Z. The Jews are sueing us. It's a very effective method of reducing a people to a category. All kinds of insanity can then be applied to the category. It's pretty much accurate to say, "The Jews aren't people." "The Jews" is an abstract idea used to strip a people of their humanity.

I'm glad that there are people like Dr. Okasha who are willing to go toe-to-toe with these people.

I wonder what would happen if someone did a compilation video of anti-Islamic sentiment in American mass media?

ON EDIT: Is it possible that some of these clerics are confusing Jews with vampires? Cause if they are, I'm all for the erradication of vampires. Stupid undead, drinkin my blood. Jerks.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
25-11-2010, 03:24 PM
(25-11-2010 09:50 AM)obring Wrote:  I'm part of the world and I think one of the biggest obstacle to peace is how much we tolerate religion.

I totally agree. Without religion, creating peace would have one fewer obstacle, but it is a MASSIVE one.
25-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Quote:obring Wrote:
I'm part of the world and I think one of the biggest obstacle to peace is how much we tolerate religion.

I totally agree. Without religion, creating peace would have one fewer obstacle, but it is a MASSIVE one.

Yeah, because everyone would agree on everything and nobody would ever argue. Yay! Yay! World peace! Yay!

(Man, that's thick sarcasm lol)

Matt
25-11-2010, 04:01 PM
I said a massive obstacle, not the only obstacle.
27-11-2010, 05:12 PM

(25-11-2010 03:51 PM)Ghost Wrote:  
Quote:obring Wrote:

Yeah, because everyone would agree on everything and nobody would ever argue. Yay! Yay! World peace! Yay!

(Man, that's thick sarcasm lol)

Matt

I sincerely hope the human race may one day be able to argue and disagree without resorting to killing each other, but I've learned in my short time here on the planet that such optimism is totally groundless.

But as No J said, religion is just one more point of disagreement. And it is of the nature that unlike political ideologies, which may be debated in legislatures or intellectual environments, religion provides explicit instruction to its followers as to how to deal with those that disagree with it. Namely, kill them.

Furthermore, religion is one such doctrine that is completely unfounded in reality. It divides based on the notion that one imaginary friend in the sky is real and good, while the other imaginary friend in the sky is not.

None of us here are suggesting that religion is the only pathway to peace or the only cause of wars or the only justification for wars or the only way "good people can be made to do bad things" which I personally don't get. But just because curing one disease does not end all diseases doesn't mean we shouldn't try and cure that disease.

Nationalism is probably a bigger cause for war than religion is in today's age and for a significant period of time, at least in Europe. I personally think nationalism is a load of shit, and I wish people could accept nations as administrative structures that make it easier to govern the world, no different than states or districts or provinces and whatnot. Removing nationalism does not mean the end of war, but does that mean we do not try?

Perhaps we can never end war. Perhaps the human psychology, the product of billions of years of evolution and competition, does not allow for it. Perhaps it is unbelievably naive and arrogant to believe that we atheists can one day witness the demise of religion, or that nationalism will one day be regarded as an immature concept. But if we don't try to remove and combat these things one by one, we are throwing in the towel before we have even started. The point of holding ideals is not necessarily to be able to follow through with them, that is the role of government, but to hold to them as principles we live by and aspire to, a utopian dream, an end goal with which we judge the merit of progress enacted today. At this point I'm just rambling and I have no conclusion, so yeah.
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2010, 01:34 AM
(25-11-2010 09:50 AM)obring Wrote:  
(25-11-2010 07:02 AM)shiranl Wrote:  News? in all over Britain there are Saudis schools teaching those things and much more. And the world say the only obsticle to peace is the settelements.......

Who says that?

Did I say anything differant? I just quated what I heard so many times....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2010, 12:24 PM

(25-11-2010 09:50 AM)obring Wrote:  

Who says that?

And yet there are some religions that are intolerant of any other faith, and the road to peace in that religions philosophy is afforded when the whole world's people are either converted unto it, or killed for being infidels or apostates.
World peace is just as much a myth as is God. For the world to have peace, nearly 7 billion individuals would have to reach an accord as to what peace entails. Then they'd have to live it together.

Impossible.

When Tolerance Is Intolerant
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2010, 03:17 PM
We can still disagree and 7 billion individuals can come to an agreement about to what ends a disagreement should be resolved.

Disagreements outside of religious boundaries are far more likely to have a safe resolution. Getting rid of religion would never end war but it sure would be a great step in the right direction to get people thinking of how much war really means.
03-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey, Godless.

Quote:Disagreements outside of religious boundaries are far more likely to have a safe resolution.

How would you support that statement?

Matt