Ah, those upright Christian citizens....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2016, 12:11 AM
Federal officials indict leadership of FLDS church for food stamp fraud.

Among the other things they allegedly purchased with the SNAP funds that they ordered their poor members to hand over rather than use to feed their own families? A truck.

.... someone remind me how being Christian makes you a more moral person, again? I never was clear on how that worked.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
25-02-2016, 01:58 AM
RE: Ah, those upright Christian citizens....
(25-02-2016 12:11 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Federal officials indict leadership of FLDS church for food stamp fraud.

Among the other things they allegedly purchased with the SNAP funds that they ordered their poor members to hand over rather than use to feed their own families? A truck.

.... someone remind me how being Christian makes you a more moral person, again? I never was clear on how that worked.

If not for christianity they would not stop on fraud. Without god nothing would stop them from killing for food stamps. It's elementary Rolleyes.

Or one can say that you can't judge by few black sheep. Just look at number of atheists in prison and compare it with number of believers if you want to see how religion make one pillar of society Wink.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
25-02-2016, 03:06 AM
(25-02-2016 12:11 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Federal officials indict leadership of FLDS church for food stamp fraud.

Why am I not surprised?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
25-02-2016, 05:16 AM
(25-02-2016 01:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  

If not for christianity they would not stop on fraud. Without god nothing would stop them from killing for food stamps. It's elementary Rolleyes.

Or one can say that you can't judge by few black sheep. Just look at number of atheists in prison and compare it with number of believers if you want to see how religion make one pillar of society Wink.

What's the percentage of self-identifying atheists in prison and the percentage of self identifying atheists in the general population?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-02-2016, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2016 09:43 AM by Szuchow.)
(25-02-2016 05:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-02-2016 01:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  If not for christianity they would not stop on fraud. Without god nothing would stop them from killing for food stamps. It's elementary Rolleyes.

What's the percentage of self-identifying atheists in prison and the percentage of self identifying atheists in the general population?

It's religion which supposedly makes people more moral.

But if you want the data: atheists make 0.1% of federal prison population. Percentage of people who claim to be atheists in USA is 3.1% of population (may not be accurate, number is from 2014).

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
25-02-2016, 09:34 AM
(25-02-2016 05:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-02-2016 01:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  If not for christianity they would not stop on fraud. Without god nothing would stop them from killing for food stamps. It's elementary Rolleyes.

About 0.1% atheist in prison population, but 9 - 10% of the general population.

So the conclusion is that atheists are generally more law abiding.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-02-2016, 09:40 AM
They'll counter that with "Well, they're not REAL christians!" They can weasel out of anything.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
25-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Dang, I read "uptight" instead of upright and thought we'd have a kinky thread for a change. Sad

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
25-02-2016, 10:02 AM
(25-02-2016 09:40 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  They'll counter that with "Well, they're not REAL christians!" They can weasel out of anything.

It's not so much them weaseling their way out of things, as it is their fellow christians helping them weasel out of things.
From the local sheriff flying his "in god we trust" bumper sticker, to Ted Cruz wanting to make this country a theocracy.
25-02-2016, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2016 12:04 PM by Tomasia.)
(25-02-2016 09:32 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(25-02-2016 05:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  What's the percentage of self-identifying atheists in prison and the percentage of self identifying atheists in the general population?

It's religion which supposedly makes people more moral.

But if you want the data: atheists make 0.1% of federal prison population. Percentage of people who claim to be atheists in USA is 3.1% of population (may not be accurate, number is from 2014).

It's not probably not accurate, it's not accurate at all, because the prison survey is from 1997, while the general population figure you cite is almost 20 years later. Drawing the conclusion based on two separate surveys separated 20 years apart, is not a very good idea. But it hasn't stopped some rabid atheists from continuing to lay claim that they're underrepresented in prison, even when called out on it. Call it lying for atheism.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."