Ahh, the Scots

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2014, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2014 08:43 AM by Monster_Riffs.)
RE: Ahh, the Scots
(24-07-2014 06:56 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(24-07-2014 06:37 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Agreed,

Equally light hearted banter can be misconstrued as casual bigotry. I don't think any harm was meant. There's a long running thing between the English and the Scottish, where both sides take a lot of banter from one another but it's exactly that, just banter.

So you think creating an entire thread in the current political atmosphere to make the most spurious claim that the Scots aren't fit to run their own country is banter misconstrued as bigotry and not vice versa? Perhaps it would be if it was a one off, but as this is the umpteenth time I've seen a comment like this, I'll prefer not to give the benefit of the doubt.

And what people call "banter" frequently isn't "exactly that". Banter is so often a word to hide bullying behind.

No, I don't think Hughsie was making that claim. That's my point. I think it was a badly executed joke mate Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2014, 08:14 AM
(24-07-2014 07:53 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  No, I don't think Hughsie was making that clain. That's my point. I think it was a badly executed joke mate Smile

Banter and jokes are always the excuse of the bully. Or the homophobe. Or the misogynist.

And people who apologise for them are just as bad. The "I'm sure he meant it as a joke" brigade are as responsible for bullying or any culture of abuse as much as the bully or abuser.
24-07-2014, 08:22 AM
(24-07-2014 08:14 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(24-07-2014 07:53 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  No, I don't think Hughsie was making that clain. That's my point. I think it was a badly executed joke mate Smile

Banter and jokes are always the excuse of the bully. Or the homophobe. Or the misogynist.

And people who apologise for them are just as bad. The "I'm sure he meant it as a joke" brigade are as responsible for bullying or any culture of abuse as much as the bully or abuser.

Sure. Except bullies, homophobes, and misogynists are not the only people who make jokes.

So there's that.

... this is my signature!
[+] 6 users Like cjlr's post
24-07-2014, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2014 08:58 AM by Monster_Riffs.)
(24-07-2014 08:14 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  

I agree with that too but do you not think (as your quoted post reads) that branding hughsie a potential bully, or misogynist, or homophobe over an ill conceived comment, or me as the 'he's only joking brigade', is possibly a slight overreaction? Sort of like squashing an ant with a steamroller?

I like hughsie's posts, overall they're fairly balanced, very friendly and entertaining. I jumped in the thread only because of the way it read to me, Mathilda, (who is actually one of my favourite people on here) maybe bit a little hard and the thread snowballed from there. I was trying to keep the peace a bit. I admit it's not my usual posting style which may be why my execution of it is lacking but...

I can appreciate where you're coming from EC, my experience reading through the forum lately has been one of seeing members who are usually coherent and calm getting very angry about minor things, or overreacting to things, that may be valid but don't require a steam roller. By implying hughsie and myself may be misogynistic homophobes is a touch over the top.... Hughsie has already said no offense was meant and has been ignored, it's all getting a bit out of hand from where I'm sitting Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
24-07-2014, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2014 09:09 AM by Elder Cunningham.)
(24-07-2014 08:22 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Sure. Except bullies, homophobes, and misogynists are not the only people who make jokes.

So there's that.

I have not said otherwise.

EDIT: Comments that make out that a people are unable to govern themselves are hard to see as a harmless joke. When a "joke" puts down a particular demographic, the person who makes it is probably a bigot.
24-07-2014, 09:03 AM
(24-07-2014 08:34 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I agree with that too but do you not think (as your quoted post reads) that branding hughsie a potential bully, or misogynist, or homophobe over an ill conceived comment, or me as the 'he's only joking brigade', is possibly a slight overreaction? Sort of like squashing an ant with a steamroller?

I have only branded him as having made a post which is anti-Scots. I have compared the defense of his comments to the same arguments used by homophobes, bullies, etc.

Quote:I like hughsie's posts, overall they're fairly balanced, very friendly and entertaining. I jumped in the thread only because of the way it read to me, Mathilda, (who is actually one of my favourite people on here) maybe bit a little hard and the thread snowballed from there. I was trying to keep the piece a bit. I admit it's not my usual posting style which may be why my execution of it is lacking but...

I don't care about his other posts. I care about this comment. Making balanced posts in other threads don't give you a free hand to be a bigot in others.

Quote:I can appreciate where you're coming from EC, my experience reading through the forum lately has been one of seeing members who are usually coherent and calm getting very angry about minor things, or overreacting to things, that may be valid but don't require a steam roller. By implying hughsie and myself may be misogynistic homophobes is a touch over the top.... Hughsie has already said no offense was meant and has been ignored, it's all getting a bit out of hand from where I'm sitting Smile

I haven't accused you or anyone here of being misogynistic or a homophobe, I'm comparing your behaviour to theirs. And it's exactly the same. Like the guy who grabs a woman's arse in a stationary cupboard at an office and the guy who tells her to let it go as it was just a bit of fun.
24-07-2014, 09:11 AM
(24-07-2014 09:03 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(24-07-2014 08:34 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I agree with that too but do you not think (as your quoted post reads) that branding hughsie a potential bully, or misogynist, or homophobe over an ill conceived comment, or me as the 'he's only joking brigade', is possibly a slight overreaction? Sort of like squashing an ant with a steamroller?

I have only branded him as having made a post which is anti-Scots. I have compared the defense of his comments to the same arguments used by homophobes, bullies, etc.

Quote:I like hughsie's posts, overall they're fairly balanced, very friendly and entertaining. I jumped in the thread only because of the way it read to me, Mathilda, (who is actually one of my favourite people on here) maybe bit a little hard and the thread snowballed from there. I was trying to keep the piece a bit. I admit it's not my usual posting style which may be why my execution of it is lacking but...

I don't care about his other posts. I care about this comment. Making balanced posts in other threads don't give you a free hand to be a bigot in others.

Quote:I can appreciate where you're coming from EC, my experience reading through the forum lately has been one of seeing members who are usually coherent and calm getting very angry about minor things, or overreacting to things, that may be valid but don't require a steam roller. By implying hughsie and myself may be misogynistic homophobes is a touch over the top.... Hughsie has already said no offense was meant and has been ignored, it's all getting a bit out of hand from where I'm sitting Smile

I haven't accused you or anyone here of being misogynistic or a homophobe, I'm comparing your behaviour to theirs. And it's exactly the same. Like the guy who grabs a woman's arse in a stationary cupboard at an office and the guy who tells her to let it go as it was just a bit of fun.

Then I suggest you're blurring lines and bringing things in to the issue that aren't there!

If you 'don't care', about hughsies other posts and aren't willing to take in to account hughsie's overall attitude, character and clearly non bigotted posts in countless threads on this forum, but instead choose to focus on one ill conceived comment and continue to grief hughsie, even after hughsie has explained it wasn't meant that way, you're a bully. Plain and simple.

[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
24-07-2014, 09:16 AM
(24-07-2014 09:11 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Then I suggest you're blurring lines and bringing things in to the issue that aren't there!

If you 'don't care', about hughsies other posts and aren't willing to take in to account hughsie's overall attitude, character and clearly non bigotted posts in countless threads on this forum, but instead choose to focus on one ill conceived comment and continue to grief hughsie, even after hughsie has explained it wasn't meant that way, you're a bully. Plain and simple.

So are you saying people who are otherwise nice never do bad things?
24-07-2014, 09:18 AM
When I make jokes about Canada always apologizing does that make me a biggot? O.o Or is the "pictures making fun of religion" make anyone who posts a biggot?

Honest question. Its an interesting thought.
24-07-2014, 09:22 AM
There there, no one gives a flying fuck Dodgy

edit: In response to all the 'bigotry' being thrown around.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post