Ahhhh... Got To Love Tornado Season and so it begins...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2016, 09:28 PM
RE: Ahhhh... Got To Love Tornado Season and so it begins...
(30-03-2016 08:04 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 08:00 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Dang. I'd be moving! Shocking

Glad you made it ok!

Thx. I could use a hug or a drink or both. Smile

I've actually been in three tornados in my lifetime. Probably seen a dozen or so close up.

Hug

Take a deep breath and eat one of those minions......or maybe two or three. Knights who say NI!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
30-03-2016, 09:33 PM
(30-03-2016 09:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 08:04 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Thx. I could use a hug or a drink or both. Smile

I've actually been in three tornados in my lifetime. Probably seen a dozen or so close up.

Hug

Take a deep breath and eat one of those minions......or maybe two or three. Knights who say NI!

I did snitch one. Big Grin

Finally got them finish. Took a break to see if I would be learning to fly. lol

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
30-03-2016, 10:15 PM
(30-03-2016 08:59 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Time to spend a few hours digging a hole to hide in. I've experienced a couple of serious earthquakes here in California (Sylmar, '71, Northridge, '94). We're due for another here pretty soon. But several months a year for a "season" of disaster is just nuts. I'll pass. Same thing for hurricanes. I was in Florida for Wilma, and even though it was a long way off, (I was at Cape Canaveral) we still got absolutely drenched. Happy you made it through, OK. Tongue

Having lived in both Earthquake Country and Tornado Alley, I'll take a predictable disaster any day of the week.

Tornado is near? Run to your basement. Earthquake strikes, your basement ain't gonna help -- and you'll get no notice at all. A friend's dad almost got caught in the basement in the 83 Coalinga 'quake. I've never seen a 60-year-old man run that fast in my life.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
30-03-2016, 10:52 PM
(30-03-2016 10:15 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 08:59 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Time to spend a few hours digging a hole to hide in. I've experienced a couple of serious earthquakes here in California (Sylmar, '71, Northridge, '94). We're due for another here pretty soon. But several months a year for a "season" of disaster is just nuts. I'll pass. Same thing for hurricanes. I was in Florida for Wilma, and even though it was a long way off, (I was at Cape Canaveral) we still got absolutely drenched. Happy you made it through, OK. Tongue

Having lived in both Earthquake Country and Tornado Alley, I'll take a predictable disaster any day of the week.

Tornado is near? Run to your basement. Earthquake strikes, your basement ain't gonna help -- and you'll get no notice at all. A friend's dad almost got caught in the basement in the 83 Coalinga 'quake. I've never seen a 60-year-old man run that fast in my life.

I had just stepped out of the elevator just as the '89 loma prieta quake hit.

Nothing like witnessing two unoccupied cars in a parking lot get bounced together. Ohmy whiie trying to walk to your own car in stilettos like you're totally drunk.

then when you finally do get to your car, turn on the radio and hear nothing but static on each station. Drive home slowly observing damage and people injured. Not knowing where your husband of just a year was. Then a new neighbor running up to you frantically saying they heard the bay bridge collapsed. That was the first 40 minutes.

Not a great day. But it could have been worse -- had the World Series not been on (A's and Giants) -- it could have been horribly worse.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-03-2016, 11:05 PM
Northridge woke me up thinking there was a burglar rattling the front door. I almost brained my mom with a baseball bat when she came downstairs from her room to tell me we were having a 'quake.

That would not have happened in a tornado. So there's that, too.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
31-03-2016, 05:43 AM
Here in SW Michigan we do get our share of tornadoes -- but I've never seen one......

I have had them tear through the property though.... I was sitting at the kitchen table in front of a window early one evening having a shot at the kitchen table during a thunderstorm -- when I heard what sounded like multiple car crashes..........

I went outside a half hour later when things calmed down -- to find a line of destruction across the property -west southwest to east northeast. It must have touched down right on the edge of our property -- and tore trees in half as it went. Healthy poplar trees twisted off 10 feet high and the tops thrown hundreds of feet.

I'm lucky one didn't come through the kitchen window...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
31-03-2016, 05:52 AM
I've seen homes that were so destroyed it look as if some giant scrub brush had wiped them away leaving only the stub of plumbing pipes sticking out of the concrete foundation. That's classic F5 type destruction.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
31-03-2016, 07:26 AM
(30-03-2016 10:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 10:15 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Having lived in both Earthquake Country and Tornado Alley, I'll take a predictable disaster any day of the week.

I had just stepped out of the elevator just as the '89 loma prieta quake hit.

Nothing like witnessing two unoccupied cars in a parking lot get bounced together. Ohmy whiie trying to walk to your own car in stilettos like you're totally drunk.

then when you finally do get to your car, turn on the radio and hear nothing but static on each station. Drive home slowly observing damage and people injured. Not knowing where your husband of just a year was. Then a new neighbor running up to you frantically saying they heard the bay bridge collapsed. That was the first 40 minutes.

Not a great day. But it could have been worse -- had the World Series not been on (A's and Giants) -- it could have been horribly worse.

I had been in the Bay Area for three days on business before that 'quake and flew out the day before it. I had driven on the freeway that collapsed.

I gave a sigh of relief that I had left. No gods were thanked at that time or since.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-03-2016, 08:39 AM
(31-03-2016 05:52 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I've seen homes that were so destroyed it look as if some giant scrub brush had wiped them away leaving only the stub of plumbing pipes sticking out of the concrete foundation. That's classic F5 type destruction.

In 1979, this:

[Image: Tornado_3_t607.jpg]

did this:

[Image: tumblr_mnij51DNLA1r4gkobo1_1280.jpg]

to Wichita Falls, Texas. I wasn't there at the time, but I remember hearing on the news that the funnel was one mile wide.

Stop and imagine that for a moment. A mile wide.
31-03-2016, 08:52 AM
(31-03-2016 07:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  I had been in the Bay Area for three days on business before that 'quake and flew out the day before it. I had driven on the freeway that collapsed.
Namu amida butsu!
Quote:I gave a sigh of relief that I had left. No gods were thanked at that time or since.
Oops.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user