Ahhhh... Got To Love Tornado Season and so it begins...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2016, 08:57 AM
RE: Ahhhh... Got To Love Tornado Season and so it begins...
(30-03-2016 11:05 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Northridge woke me up thinking there was a burglar rattling the front door. I almost brained my mom with a baseball bat when she came downstairs from her room to tell me we were having a 'quake.

That would not have happened in a tornado. So there's that, too.

I was in the Northridge quake too. It was around 4:30 in the morning. My daughter was sleeping in her crib on other side of our bedroom and I woke up, grabbed her.. on the up bounce too, lol .....and ran for the door frame in maybe three seconds. My husband was astonished at my speed and he was a sprinter in college. He's from South Carolina and had never experienced an earthquake. He was terrified and grabbing me, holding on for dear life. He later denied this. Laugh out load

I've been in many earthquakes. It's jarring but I sort of expect earthquakes to happen.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
31-03-2016, 09:44 AM
(30-03-2016 11:05 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Northridge woke me up thinking there was a burglar rattling the front door. I almost brained my mom with a baseball bat when she came downstairs from her room to tell me we were having a 'quake.

That would not have happened in a tornado. So there's that, too.

That was the day my son was born. I was in the hospital, hubby turned on GMA, because he was bored. We're like what's up in LA?? I really couldn't have cared less at that point, since the sadist doctors were still trying to induce labor.

But I did save a newspaper from the day (that's a weird habit I have). I always save a whole newspaper from the day the boys were born and the day after. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-03-2016, 09:53 AM
(31-03-2016 07:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 10:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I had just stepped out of the elevator just as the '89 loma prieta quake hit.

Nothing like witnessing two unoccupied cars in a parking lot get bounced together. Ohmy whiie trying to walk to your own car in stilettos like you're totally drunk.

then when you finally do get to your car, turn on the radio and hear nothing but static on each station. Drive home slowly observing damage and people injured. Not knowing where your husband of just a year was. Then a new neighbor running up to you frantically saying they heard the bay bridge collapsed. That was the first 40 minutes.

Not a great day. But it could have been worse -- had the World Series not been on (A's and Giants) -- it could have been horribly worse.

I had been in the Bay Area for three days on business before that 'quake and flew out the day before it. I had driven on the freeway that collapsed.

I gave a sigh of relief that I had left. No gods were thanked at that time or since.

I had just changed jobs otherwise I would have been on the cypress freeway. So yeah, I was in tears when our power came on and we saw the live shots (it was dusk and there was an orange glow from burning vehicles trapped).

Maybe not Consider we had just moved so I might have wove down to the San Mateo bridge -- which I actually didn't like driving because you could see the water -- for some reason that bugged me.

I do recall thinking I was lucky in the months and years that followed, to avoid the horrible traffic jams that followed.

Also, there was a collective fear that lasted a long while, no one wanted to stop so their car was under an overpass. They would stop long before it and then when the light changed step on the gas to get through as quickly as possible.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces