Ahlquist v. Cranston RI

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Ahlquist v. Cranston RI
So much has been written on Jessica Ahlquist - and rightly so! I took a different tack and wrote on the District Court decision handed down by Judge Lagueux - I thought it was an excellent decision from the legal framework...

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2012/02/...igion.html

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Seasbury's post
04-02-2012, 11:54 PM
RE: Ahlquist v. Cranston RI
(04-02-2012 08:02 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  So much has been written on Jessica Ahlquist - and rightly so! I took a different tack and wrote on the District Court decision handed down by Judge Lagueux - I thought it was an excellent decision from the legal framework...

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2012/02/...igion.html

Nice summary. If they'd just removed the first and last lines it would have been a perfectly acceptable and innocuous school mantra.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
05-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Quote:This decision, and future challenges to the separation of church and state sure to come, should not be viewed through the prism of a "war on religion" - although it will certainly be cast in this light.

I can vouch for the veracity of your prediction. It will indeed be seen as an attack on Christianity. For 40+ years of my life I believed it was the goal of "Liberal" judges to destroy the last vestiges of Christianity from public life. Of course this would then lead to Christians being rounded up and sent to concentration camps for re-education or beheadings.

Ok, so I didn't necessarily fully believe that last part, but it was part of the background noise of my theism.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
05-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Loving your blog Seasbury. Learning a lot from your selection of interesting news and opinions. Learned from this one that whatever other flaws, the US legal system is pretty schweet Smile Thanks for taking the trouble to highlight the relevant stuff - I'd never have read that on my own, but it was super interesting.
05-02-2012, 08:04 AM
(05-02-2012 12:08 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
Quote:This decision, and future challenges to the separation of church and state sure to come, should not be viewed through the prism of a "war on religion" - although it will certainly be cast in this light.

I can vouch for the veracity of your prediction. It will indeed be seen as an attack on Christianity. For 40+ years of my life I believed it was the goal of "Liberal" judges to destroy the last vestiges of Christianity from public life. Of course this would then lead to Christians being rounded up and sent to concentration camps for re-education or beheadings.

Ok, so I didn't necessarily fully believe that last part, but it was part of the background noise of my theism.

Now that you've leaked that, the Committee will have to silence you. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks everyone for reading and glad you enjoyed it. Just like any court document, there was quite a bit of legal jargon - I tried to cut much of that out for readability, but I felt the ruling itself was important for people to read - I still hear people saying that it was a simple prayer and wasn't offending anyone, why do artists always have to stir the pot for the rest of us...Lagueux's ruling I felt answered that question.

If and when the day comes, and the challenge to "in god we trust" arrives at the court, I can't see how it passes the Establishment Clause criteria - then you'll really see some pissed off Christians! Dollars to donuts, I bet the court finds a way to avoid ruling on it...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post