Airbus patents detachable passenger cabin for airplanes.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2015, 06:17 AM
Airbus patents detachable passenger cabin for airplanes.
Airbus has received a patent for a detachable passenger cabin for airplanes. How it would work is akin to loading/unloading shipping containers from a ship. Passengers would load into the unattached cabin, wait for their plane to land and unload it's current cabin then be lifted up and attached to the plane for takeoff. It's supposed to save time, which on paper makes sense, people can board/unboard without the plane therefor allowing the plane to be in motion quicker and easier, but it does not sound safe at all to me. Would you fly with this concept realized? Here is a sketch of how it would work.

[Image: 56571bf9c36188d8148b4569.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
29-11-2015, 06:45 AM
RE: Airbus patents detachable passenger cabin for airplanes.
If it can be fitted with an ejector mechanism and some seriously large parachutes, I'm for it.

Preferably before I take my Malaysia Airlines trip to Beijing next week.

Thumbsup

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
29-11-2015, 06:47 AM
(29-11-2015 06:17 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Airbus has received a patent for a detachable passenger cabin for airplanes. How it would work is akin to loading/unloading shipping containers from a ship. Passengers would load into the unattached cabin, wait for their plane to land and unload it's current cabin then be lifted up and attached to the plane for takeoff. It's supposed to save time, which on paper makes sense, people can board/unboard without the plane therefor allowing the plane to be in motion quicker and easier, but it does not sound safe at all to me. Would you fly with this concept realized? Here is a sketch of how it would work.

[Image: 56571bf9c36188d8148b4569.jpg]
Nope!

Blink

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
[+] 2 users Like OhDannyBoy's post
29-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Oh I thought this would be so they could jettison the passengers if terrorists tried to take over the plane. I'm disappointed.

I'm sure it will be tested before stuffing people into it so I don't really see a problem if it makes it all the way to being used.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
29-11-2015, 07:43 AM
(29-11-2015 07:39 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Oh I thought this would be so they could jettison the passengers if terrorists tried to take over the plane. I'm disappointed.

I'm sure it will be tested before stuffing people into it so I don't really see a problem if it makes it all the way to being used.

I honestly thought that too at first, that would be a good idea! and yeah of course, they would not just throw it on there lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
29-11-2015, 10:00 AM
(29-11-2015 06:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  If it can be fitted with an ejector mechanism and some seriously large parachutes, I'm for it.

Thumbsup

Wouldn't that cause serious aerodynamic issues if it came detached mid-flight?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
29-11-2015, 10:40 AM
(29-11-2015 10:00 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(29-11-2015 06:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  If it can be fitted with an ejector mechanism and some seriously large parachutes, I'm for it.

Thumbsup

Wouldn't that cause serious aerodynamic issues if it came detached mid-flight?

I think the whole point for that would be for emergency issues, like the plane is going to crash.

[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
29-11-2015, 11:28 AM
Guarantee -- it'll never fly.

Reason -- the additional structuring will cost payload. Reduced payload means greater expense.

Convenience and on-time scheduling take a back seat to profit for all air carriers.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-11-2015, 11:31 AM
(29-11-2015 07:39 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Oh I thought this would be so they could jettison the passengers if terrorists tried to take over the plane. I'm disappointed.

You have more faith in the airlines than I do.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
29-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Still couldn't get me in one of those metal tubes of death even if they had parachutes.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post