Airbus patents detachable passenger cabin for airplanes.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2015, 12:28 PM
RE: Airbus patents detachable passenger cabin for airplanes.
(29-11-2015 06:17 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Airbus has received a patent for a detachable passenger cabin for airplanes. How it would work is akin to loading/unloading shipping containers from a ship. Passengers would load into the unattached cabin, wait for their plane to land and unload it's current cabin then be lifted up and attached to the plane for takeoff. It's supposed to save time, which on paper makes sense, people can board/unboard without the plane therefor allowing the plane to be in motion quicker and easier, but it does not sound safe at all to me. Would you fly with this concept realized? Here is a sketch of how it would work.

[Image: 56571bf9c36188d8148b4569.jpg]

Will it have an ejection mechanism? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-11-2015, 12:33 PM
(29-11-2015 12:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-11-2015 06:17 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Airbus has received a patent for a detachable passenger cabin for airplanes. How it would work is akin to loading/unloading shipping containers from a ship. Passengers would load into the unattached cabin, wait for their plane to land and unload it's current cabin then be lifted up and attached to the plane for takeoff. It's supposed to save time, which on paper makes sense, people can board/unboard without the plane therefor allowing the plane to be in motion quicker and easier, but it does not sound safe at all to me. Would you fly with this concept realized? Here is a sketch of how it would work.

Will it have an ejection mechanism? Consider

No idea, one was not mentioned in the description but I would assume they thought about it.

Here's an article on it if you want to read about it

https://www.rt.com/news/323565-airbus-de...ne-cabins/

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
29-11-2015, 02:18 PM
...and then somebody forgets to install and/or tighten all the fasteners...

I'm with you, onlinebiker, too much added weight and infrastructure.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
29-11-2015, 02:56 PM
I don't see it as a huge time saver from what I've read so far.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

29-11-2015, 03:08 PM
(29-11-2015 02:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't see it as a huge time saver from what I've read so far.

In theory it actually is, loading everyone at once instead of one by one through a door. Look at roller coasters, they can load up each set of seats at once, imagine how long that would take if they had to load up each seat one by one, lines at theme parks would be a lot longer and bigger.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
29-11-2015, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2015 03:32 PM by onlinebiker.)
Do the math folks.... An " escape pod" for 200 passengers??? That's 15 tons.. The parachute would have to be the size of Kansas.........

Edit to add... Besides ... Catastrophic failures at a high enough altitude for the chute to deploy are so rare, it wouldn't be worth doing.... Most accidents are at takeoff and landing....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
29-11-2015, 03:48 PM
(29-11-2015 03:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Do the math folks.... An " escape pod" for 200 passengers??? That's 15 tons.. The parachute would have to be the size of Kansas.........

Edit to add... Besides ... Catastrophic failures at a high enough altitude for the chute to deploy are so rare, it wouldn't be worth doing.... Most accidents are at takeoff and landing....

Well 1 it's a patent, not like we will see it in use in the next few years even if they did want to implement it right away. I think it's mostly just to protect their ideas and inventions from others in case the time to put them to use ever occurs.

[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
29-11-2015, 03:49 PM
(29-11-2015 03:08 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(29-11-2015 02:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't see it as a huge time saver from what I've read so far.

In theory it actually is, loading everyone at once instead of one by one through a door. Look at roller coasters, they can load up each set of seats at once, imagine how long that would take if they had to load up each seat one by one, lines at theme parks would be a lot longer and bigger.

Passengers still have to board, they have their stuff with them, they need to stow the shit, then once everyone is seated they lift you onto the plane...

Wait...for those stragglers or the airline to see if they cram two more people onto the plane...

Then you wait to be moved to the plane...

Then you wait to start moving...

Then you taxi down the runway.

Flight...

Land..

Taxi...

Wait to be lifted off the plane...

You still have to gather your shit (Whch could be anywhere depending on if the people around you are assholes that don't understand how to correctly stow their carry on bag)

Or would there be no overhead space at all? Consider

Even if you load by row...you have to walk sideways between seats to find your seat with a carry on bag, purse and whatever else...it's nothing like a roller coaster ride...there still needs to be an aisle for getting up, drink service...etc...

Or are airlines going back to free checked luggage? Still I hate waiting for that shit. There's a reason that regardless of length of trip I always take a carry on bag.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

29-11-2015, 03:51 PM

How soon are we gonna read about one detaching without perversion or support of he crew?
29-11-2015, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2015 04:16 PM by JDog554.)
(29-11-2015 03:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(29-11-2015 03:08 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  In theory it actually is, loading everyone at once instead of one by one through a door. Look at roller coasters, they can load up each set of seats at once, imagine how long that would take if they had to load up each seat one by one, lines at theme parks would be a lot longer and bigger.

Passengers still have to board, they have their stuff with them, they need to stow the shit, then once everyone is seated they lift you onto the plane...

Wait...for those stragglers or the airline to see if they cram two more people onto the plane...

Then you wait to be moved to the plane...

Then you wait to start moving...

Then you taxi down the runway.

Flight...

Land..

Taxi...

Wait to be lifted off the plane...

You still have to gather your shit (Whch could be anywhere depending on if the people around you are assholes that don't understand how to correctly stow their carry on bag)

Or would there be no overhead space at all? Consider

Even if you load by row...you have to walk sideways between seats to find your seat with a carry on bag, purse and whatever else...it's nothing like a roller coaster ride...there still needs to be an aisle for getting up, drink service...etc...

Or are airlines going back to free checked luggage? Still I hate waiting for that shit. There's a reason that regardless of length of trip I always take a carry on bag.

It would eliminate waiting for incoming to unboard, as soon as the pod for people flying in is detached, could be 5-10 minuets instead of 30-40, the plane could be taxing to the pod that is carrying the people ready to fly away, plane could also be refuling and doing other stuff it would normally have to wait to do while any leftovers are still boarding but since it's not attached to the plane most could board before the plane even gets to the airport.

I think a better comparison would be guns, what's faster to reload? A musket where you have to load each bullet one by one or an AK-47 where you have all bullets ready in a clip.