Airbus patents detachable passenger cabin for airplanes.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2015, 04:03 PM
RE: Airbus patents detachable passenger cabin for airplanes.
(29-11-2015 11:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Guarantee -- it'll never fly.

Reason -- the additional structuring will cost payload. Reduced payload means greater expense.

Convenience and on-time scheduling take a back seat to profit for all air carriers.

Yep, any additional weight will kill it. They don't even repaint those planes over the old paint, they strip them to bare aluminum first. The reason is the extra weight of another coat of paint would cost payload.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2015, 04:05 PM
(29-11-2015 03:51 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(29-11-2015 06:17 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Airbus has received a patent for a detachable passenger cabin for airplanes. How it would work is akin to loading/unloading shipping containers from a ship. Passengers would load into the unattached cabin, wait for their plane to land and unload it's current cabin then be lifted up and attached to the plane for takeoff. It's supposed to save time, which on paper makes sense, people can board/unboard without the plane therefor allowing the plane to be in motion quicker and easier, but it does not sound safe at all to me. Would you fly with this concept realized? Here is a sketch of how it would work.

[Image: 56571bf9c36188d8148b4569.jpg]

How soon are we gonna read about one detaching without perversion or support of he crew?

Well there is a reason it's just a patent and not in production, on paper it sounds like it would work but I think it needs hell of a lot better technology before it's actually tested and put to use.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
29-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Wink RE: Airbus patents detachable passenger cabin for airplanes.
I don't see it panning out, but it is a natural outgrowth of the cargo container they currently use for fedex, UPS, etc.
http://www.indianapolisairport.com/image...eneric.JPG
The weight of those cans is worth the time it saves for loading. After all, we are just puking complaining cargo, but cargo nonetheless Big Grin
29-11-2015, 04:30 PM
(29-11-2015 04:28 PM)skyking Wrote:  I don't see it panning out, but it is a natural outgrowth of the cargo container they currently use for fedex, UPS, etc.
http://www.indianapolisairport.com/image...eneric.JPG
The weight of those cans is worth the time it saves for loading. After all, we are just puking complaining cargo, but cargo nonetheless Big Grin

Not anytime in the foreseeable future no, but they explained how they could have cargo versions of the pods for planes that only transport cargo.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
29-11-2015, 04:33 PM
I am not a nervous airplane passenger...in fact, I really like to fly. But...I am nervous about a detachable cabin. I have been in a plane when the door wasn't closed right and we had to land to have that fixed. My trust that everything that is supposed to be hooked is hooked is pretty shaky.

And if they can't get my luggage on the right plane how can I be sure they put the right passenger pod on the right aircraft? Blink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
29-11-2015, 04:35 PM
(29-11-2015 04:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am not a nervous airplane passenger...in fact, I really like to fly. But...I am nervous about a detachable cabin. I have been in a plane when the door wasn't closed right and we had to land to have that fixed. My trust that everything that is supposed to be hooked is hooked is pretty shaky.

And if they can't get my luggage on the right plane how can I be sure they put the right passenger pod on the right aircraft? Blink

Well even if they did try and make it happen it would take a very long time so you are safe Tongue along with the rest of us.

29-11-2015, 06:02 PM
(29-11-2015 04:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am not a nervous airplane passenger...in fact, I really like to fly. But...I am nervous about a detachable cabin. I have been in a plane when the door wasn't closed right and we had to land to have that fixed. My trust that everything that is supposed to be hooked is hooked is pretty shaky.

Whadya mean, my family is in Russia, now?!? Facepalm
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
02-12-2015, 05:20 PM
As an added benefit, if you had terrorists in the passenger cabin attempting to seize the cockpit, you could detach the cabin and prevent the plane from being hijacked!

(... no, I don't know if this could actually happen, I'm just being morbidly silly.)
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
02-12-2015, 10:30 PM
(29-11-2015 03:51 PM)DerFish Wrote:  How soon are we gonna read about one detaching without perversion or support of he crew?

HuhLaugh out load

I'll happily fly in such a thing if they ever actually build it. It'll take a loooong time though, 'cos there's not just the plane, there's all the infrastructure to build around it. I assume that by the time it gets to actual flying on commercial flights it'll be properly engineered and safe - as safe as a plane ever gets, which is pretty goddamn safe.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-12-2015, 11:39 PM
How'd I miss this thread???

Interesting idea. There should be some safety issues to be dealt with anyway. Aircraft have been developing at a rapid pace. In less than 100 years we flew to the moon and have space stations.

Currently I like this jet airliner.

[Image: illu.jpg]

Made by the company that makes this.

[Image: sukhoi-t-50_pak-fa-close-up-of-cockpit-canopy.jpg]

Aircraft design just gets better and better.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.