Al Anon pressure to conform to HP god belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2016, 05:20 PM
Al Anon pressure to conform to HP god belief
I hear god in a meeting 15 to 20 times, I do 5 meetings a week. Doing the math that is 40,000 times a year. I can't say I am an atheist even once or I will get flack. I try to piont out how much I tolerate people talking about god and the lack of tolerance I get. People don't seem to see the point. Maybe it is becuase being an atheist is not seen as valid. I say I don't do the Hp god path of the program (I am Buddhist). Well I get told it's my ego or I am my own HP. It is not seen that it's their ego and ignorance. They know nothing about Buddhism, but it's my ego? I have been shut down and recieved anger from others for saying I am an atheist. They project I hate god but as usual they don't see its them with the intolerance.
It comes down to religious intolerance and bigotry.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like bosco1956's post
25-03-2016, 06:09 PM
RE: Al Anon pressure to conform to HP god belief
The whole Alcoholics Anonymous thing is built on a Christian frame. Most of their meetings are in a Christian church. If you are in their yard and playing with their ball you should play by their rules. Yes I am a nonbeliever who went thru AA a dozen years ago. Then one day I ran across in Barnes and Noble book store 'The Small Book', and learned a lot that I was never told in AA. Don't know if the book is still available, nor how well it would fit with Al Anon. But best of luck
25-03-2016, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2016 06:27 PM by bosco1956.)
(25-03-2016 06:09 PM)DerFish Wrote:  The whole Alcoholics Anonymous thing is built on a Christian frame. Most of their meetings are in a Christian church. If you are in their yard and playing with their ball you should play by their rules. Yes I am a nonbeliever who went thru AA a dozen years ago. Then one day I ran across in Barnes and Noble book store 'The Small Book', and learned a lot that I was never told in AA. Don't know if the book is still available, nor how well it would fit with Al Anon. But best of luck

Well I guess in tradition three where it says the only requrement is to have been affected by someones drinking. Says the only requirement. Then they should be honest and put also requered to believe in god/hp. They also say the belief in god/hp is universal. Your post was a little on the minimising side. The programs are supposed to be open to everyone. The ontario human rights commision is addressing AA's discrimination of athiests.
25-03-2016, 06:41 PM
(25-03-2016 06:23 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 06:09 PM)DerFish Wrote:  The whole Alcoholics Anonymous thing is built on a Christian frame. Most of their meetings are in a Christian church. If you are in their yard and playing with their ball you should play by their rules. Yes I am a nonbeliever who went thru AA a dozen years ago. Then one day I ran across in Barnes and Noble book store 'The Small Book', and learned a lot that I was never told in AA. Don't know if the book is still available, nor how well it would fit with Al Anon. But best of luck

Well I guess in tradition three where it says the only requrement is to have been affected by someones drinking. Says the only requirement. Then they should be honest and put also requered to believe in god/hp. They also say the belief in god/hp is universal. Your post was a little on the minimising side. The programs are supposed to be open to everyone. The ontario human rights commision is addressing AA's discrimination of athiests.

I am a Buddhist. So I have a vaild path. It is not a higher power focused path.
25-03-2016, 06:43 PM
(25-03-2016 06:41 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 06:23 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  Well I guess in tradition three where it says the only requrement is to have been affected by someones drinking. Says the only requirement. Then they should be honest and put also requered to believe in god/hp. They also say the belief in god/hp is universal. Your post was a little on the minimising side. The programs are supposed to be open to everyone. The ontario human rights commision is addressing AA's discrimination of athiests.

I am a Buddhist. So I have a vaild path. It is not a higher power focused path.

Play b y their rules and believe in God? wow your amasing
25-03-2016, 06:51 PM
(25-03-2016 05:20 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  I hear god in a meeting 15 to 20 times, I do 5 meetings a week. Doing the math that is 40,000 times a year. I can't say I am an atheist even once or I will get flack. I try to piont out how much I tolerate people talking about god and the lack of tolerance I get. People don't seem to see the point. Maybe it is becuase being an atheist is not seen as valid. I say I don't do the Hp god path of the program (I am Buddhist). Well I get told it's my ego or I am my own HP. It is not seen that it's their ego and ignorance. They know nothing about Buddhism, but it's my ego? I have been shut down and recieved anger from others for saying I am an atheist. They project I hate god but as usual they don't see its them with the intolerance.

I admire your dedication to staying sober and still going to meetings even when everyone harps about God non-stop. My sister went through NA when she was younger and doing drugs, she starting talking about "higher powers" but she never said she believed in God, she said the higher power for her was the whole of human kind/existence and just reminding herself that everything she does has consequences on other people. For her it was too depressing to think she was truly powerless and that something greater had to help her so by imagining the collective strength of others and realizing humans are very strong it was enough to kick the habit. I think that's a nice way to look at it without feeling completely powerless to help yourself and others.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
25-03-2016, 08:39 PM
(25-03-2016 05:20 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  I hear god in a meeting 15 to 20 times, I do 5 meetings a week. Doing the math that is 40,000 times a year. I can't say I am an atheist even once or I will get flack. I try to piont out how much I tolerate people talking about god and the lack of tolerance I get. People don't seem to see the point. Maybe it is becuase being an atheist is not seen as valid. I say I don't do the Hp god path of the program (I am Buddhist). Well I get told it's my ego or I am my own HP. It is not seen that it's their ego and ignorance. They know nothing about Buddhism, but it's my ego? I have been shut down and recieved anger from others for saying I am an atheist. They project I hate god but as usual they don't see its them with the intolerance.

Tell them that they should pay attention to themselves and their own programs and stop meddling in yours.
The Twelve Steps are for personal recovery, not for getting up in other people's faces.

Also, find a new group with more tolerant and open-minded people.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-03-2016, 08:42 PM
(25-03-2016 06:43 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 06:41 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  I am a Buddhist. So I have a vaild path. It is not a higher power focused path.

Play b y their rules and believe in God? wow your amasing

Point out the Twelve Steps are suggested as a program of recovery. Says so right in the Big Book.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-03-2016, 10:33 PM
(25-03-2016 06:51 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  

Yes everyone has teachers. Just one? Not enough for me. Buddhist monks, theripists etc. But praying to them, there will or my will. They say just change the name, but I'm sorry steps 2,3,6,7,11 are not a Buddhist path or an atheists. That is a Christian path.

I admire your dedication to staying sober and still going to meetings even when everyone harps about God non-stop. My sister went through NA when she was younger and doing drugs, she starting talking about "higher powers" but she never said she believed in God, she said the higher power for her was the whole of human kind/existence and just reminding herself that everything she does has consequences on other people. For her it was too depressing to think she was truly powerless and that something greater had to help her so by imagining the collective strength of others and realizing humans are very strong it was enough to kick the habit. I think that's a nice way to look at it without feeling completely powerless to help yourself and others.
25-03-2016, 10:40 PM
(25-03-2016 08:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 06:43 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  Play b y their rules and believe in God? wow your amasing

Point out the Twelve Steps are suggested as a program of recovery. Says so right in the Big Book.

I do point out it is suggested, but they are condesending and think I am wrong for not doing all of it.. Just rigidity. Al anon is made up of control freaks.