Al Anon pressure to conform to HP god belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2016, 11:06 PM
RE: Al Anon pressure to conform to HP god belief
(25-03-2016 10:40 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 08:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Point out the Twelve Steps are suggested as a program of recovery. Says so right in the Big Book.

I do point out it is suggested, but they are condesending and think I am wrong for not doing all of it.. Just rigidity. Al anon is made up of control freaks.

Fuck 'em, find a better group. Seriously.

I'm 24+ years sober and urge you to shop carefully for meetings/groups.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
26-03-2016, 08:34 AM
(25-03-2016 11:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 10:40 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  I do point out it is suggested, but they are condesending and think I am wrong for not doing all of it.. Just rigidity. Al anon is made up of control freaks.

Fuck 'em, find a better group. Seriously.

I'm 24+ years sober and urge you to shop carefully for meetings/groups.

Right on!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bosco1956's post
26-03-2016, 10:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

what is an open mind
26-03-2016, 05:23 PM
(25-03-2016 05:20 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  I hear god in a meeting 15 to 20 times, I do 5 meetings a week. Doing the math that is 40,000 times a year. I can't say I am an atheist even once or I will get flack. I try to piont out how much I tolerate people talking about god and the lack of tolerance I get. People don't seem to see the point. Maybe it is becuase being an atheist is not seen as valid. I say I don't do the Hp god path of the program (I am Buddhist). Well I get told it's my ego or I am my own HP. It is not seen that it's their ego and ignorance. They know nothing about Buddhism, but it's my ego? I have been shut down and recieved anger from others for saying I am an atheist. They project I hate god but as usual they don't see its them with the intolerance.
It comes down to religious intolerance and bigotry.

Do you think they could be trying--not very successfully--to help you find a way to use the HP part of the program even as an atheist? That by ego they are suggesting that you can appeal to that part of yourself as your higher power? This would still be a misunderstanding of the theory of the self that splits it into superego, ego, and id, but maybe they are attempting to help you find a way to let you use the HP tool to maintain your sobriety.

I've never been through AA, and it doesn't work for all, but I know some atheists whom AA has helped. Maybe there's a different AA group? I don't know how different various AA groups are.
26-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Mmmmmmm, HP.

[Image: hp-sauce_1318716c.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
26-03-2016, 05:31 PM
(26-03-2016 05:23 PM)julep Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 05:20 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  I hear god in a meeting 15 to 20 times, I do 5 meetings a week. Doing the math that is 40,000 times a year. I can't say I am an atheist even once or I will get flack. I try to piont out how much I tolerate people talking about god and the lack of tolerance I get. People don't seem to see the point. Maybe it is becuase being an atheist is not seen as valid. I say I don't do the Hp god path of the program (I am Buddhist). Well I get told it's my ego or I am my own HP. It is not seen that it's their ego and ignorance. They know nothing about Buddhism, but it's my ego? I have been shut down and recieved anger from others for saying I am an atheist. They project I hate god but as usual they don't see its them with the intolerance.
It comes down to religious intolerance and bigotry.

No your saying that a belif in a higher power I focus on is universal. Thank you for using the same shaming techniques others use in the program to get one to conform. It my ego. Yes all Buddhist just have a real big ego for not believing in a higher power to pray to and ask for things..Your right, just look it up in on wikapedia buddhism is synommas with ego trippers. I cannot use the steps with hp in them becuase it is not a buddhist path. It is achristain type one. Very manipultaive how people get you to confrom to a path you dont agree with. using guilt..why are you on this forum?
Do you think they could be trying--not very successfully--to help you find a way to use the HP part of the program even as an atheist? That by ego they are suggesting that you can appeal to that part of yourself as your higher power? This would still be a misunderstanding of the theory of the self that splits it into superego, ego, and id, but maybe they are attempting to help you find a way to let you use the HP tool to maintain your sobriety.

I've never been through AA, and it doesn't work for all, but I know some atheists whom AA has helped. Maybe there's a different AA group? I don't know how different various AA groups are.
26-03-2016, 05:45 PM
(26-03-2016 05:31 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  I've never been through AA, and it doesn't work for all, but I know some atheists whom AA has helped.

True dat.

Quote:Maybe there's a different AA group? I don't know how different various AA groups are.

Groups can be as different as night and day.

Some are like Westboro Baptist, some are like a UU congregation, and there's every shade in between.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2016, 06:10 AM
(26-03-2016 05:31 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  
(26-03-2016 05:23 PM)julep Wrote:  No your saying that a belif in a higher power I focus on is universal. Thank you for using the same shaming techniques others use in the program to get one to conform. It my ego. Yes all Buddhist just have a real big ego for not believing in a higher power to pray to and ask for things..Your right, just look it up in on wikapedia buddhism is synommas with ego trippers. I cannot use the steps with hp in them becuase it is not a buddhist path. It is achristain type one. Very manipultaive how people get you to confrom to a path you dont agree with. using guilt..why are you on this forum?

No, I am not trying to shame you or to say that belief in a higher power is universal or saying that anything is an "ego trip." How am I "using guilt"? I was speculating on a different interpretation of their comments, because you seemed to want some kind of a reason to stay in AA rather than look for a different type of support group. I have made no suggestions at all other than that you try to find a different AA group. If the AA philosophy conflicts so deeply with your religious views as a Buddhist, then you should not be in AA. Find something else, and best of luck to you in maintaining your sobriety.
28-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Um..... I didn't realise there was a Hewlett Packard god.

[Image: large_article_im2355_hpvsgod.jpg]

—So now I have to disbelieve in 22,001 gods? Damn.

Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.