Al Anon pressure to conform to HP god belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2018, 10:40 PM
RE: Al Anon pressure to conform to HP god belief
(13-05-2018 06:23 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 11:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  Fuck 'em, find a better group. Seriously.

I'm 24+ years sober and urge you to shop carefully for meetings/groups.

I don't do 12 step meetings anymore due to it being founded on Christianity. One cannot get away from monotheism in 12 step programs.
\

One can. I belonged to an atheist AA group. Drinking Beverage

You can start a group if you can't find one to your liking.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-05-2018, 12:34 AM
Perhaps they find the whole god thingie useful like heroin.

Consider - heroin was once considered a safe " cure" for morphine addiction.

They' re simply trying to get you to change one bad habit for another.

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
15-05-2018, 12:28 PM
If the religion in AA bothers you, try a secular solution to sobriety.

http://www.sossobriety.org/what-we-do

WHAT WE DO

Secular Organizations for Sobriety empowers the individual to find and keep sobriety and/or abstinence. S.O.S. offers a variety of recovery tools to assist new groups and individuals with beginning the process.

β€œIt is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction.”
― Harry G. Frankfurt, On Bullshit

Cheerful Charlie
15-05-2018, 05:35 PM
We live near Raleigh, NC. I've googled it before and there is a meeting in Raleigh that is NOT HP related. Have you tried to find out where the closest meeting to you is without the god factor?

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
16-05-2018, 02:35 PM
Bosco, I understand your dilemma.
Have you considered contacting one of these groups?

https://aaagnostica.org/waaft-central/

https://secularaa.org/

12-step programs without the sky-daddy.
Best of luck with your search.

And welcome to TTA. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
22-05-2018, 09:04 AM
AA is a bonafide cult. Not sure how Al Anon is as I've never been to an Al Anon meeting but I'm sure it is quite similar... "Conform to our beliefs or bad things will happen!"

AA and other related, 12 step programs are great in a lot of ways and help tons of people. But the contradictions in those meetings.... just WOW. Some of it's pretty insane but if you can sort of "Take what you need and leave the rest" and it helps you stay sober, great.

My advice? Check out SMART Recovery or Lifering or some other secular recovery program. Or find Agnostic and Atheist AA meetings. Good luck.
22-05-2018, 09:41 AM
(22-05-2018 09:04 AM)RBMG Wrote:  AA is a bonafide cult. Not sure how Al Anon is as I've never been to an Al Anon meeting but I'm sure it is quite similar... "Conform to our beliefs or bad things will happen!"

AA and other related, 12 step programs are great in a lot of ways and help tons of people. But the contradictions in those meetings.... just WOW. Some of it's pretty insane but if you can sort of "Take what you need and leave the rest" and it helps you stay sober, great.

My advice? Check out SMART Recovery or Lifering or some other secular recovery program. Or find Agnostic and Atheist AA meetings. Good luck.

Once again, Al Anon is not for the addict themselves, but for those affected by the addict's behavior. The OP is not the addict.

Al Anon is related to Alcoholics Anonymous in outlook, but they are two different programs for two different groups of people. I've seen this confusion repeatedly throughout this thread.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
24-05-2018, 01:16 AM
(22-05-2018 09:41 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(22-05-2018 09:04 AM)RBMG Wrote:  AA is a bonafide cult. Not sure how Al Anon is as I've never been to an Al Anon meeting but I'm sure it is quite similar... "Conform to our beliefs or bad things will happen!"

Once again, Al Anon is not for the addict themselves, but for those affected by the addict's behavior. The OP is not the addict.

Al Anon is related to Alcoholics Anonymous in outlook, but they are two different programs for two different groups of people. I've seen this confusion repeatedly throughout this thread.

I'm well aware of what Al Anon is.

Other secular recovery programs also have meetings for family and friends of addicts.