Al Franken is resigning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2017, 11:53 AM
Al Franken is resigning
Al Franken has announced his impending resignation from the Senate in the next few weeks, because the many allegations against him.

i thought he was one of the very few men in this metascandal who handled his accusations without bullshit ... but I suspect this is part of a Democrat effort to maintain the moral high ground (as well as a Democrat seat in the Senate) in preparation for their Ethics Committee investigation into Moore should he win.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-12-2017, 11:58 AM
RE: Al Franken is resigning
(07-12-2017 11:53 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Al Franken has announced his impending resignation from the Senate in the next few weeks, because the many allegations against him.

i thought he was one of the very few men in this metascandal who handled his accusations without bullshit ... but I suspect this is part of a Democrat effort to maintain the moral high ground (as well as a Democrat seat in the Senate) in preparation for their Ethics Committee investigation into Moore should he win.

I have always liked Franken, sorry to hear he did the things he did do.

It's interesting that most of the men who are accused are in a certain age group. Or maybe I have missed reports about younger ones?

I hear about younger ones telling female colleagues to clean up and such, but not the groping and kissing stuff. (Ugh, imagine being kissed by trump - yuck!)

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
07-12-2017, 11:58 AM
I saw that. I don't think anyone can conflate individual bad choices as being the same as being predator.

Difference between Al and Moore and especially 45, is Al admitted he was wrong.

45 has far more baggage and not just on the issue of women.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
07-12-2017, 12:01 PM
Yeah the moral high ground has been so helpful. But to me this is the difference between the Democrats and the Republicans. One has an otherwise respected senator who does the right thing, does not skirt responsibility, and resigns under allegations that he groped and in some cases forcibly kissed ADULT women. And the other party is doing its damnedest to elect a guy who when he was in his 30s' is alleged to have fondled, harassed, dated, and/or attempted to enter into inappropriate relationships with CHILDREN. They're promoting him, when all is said and done, because if his VALUES no less. Totally sick.
[+] 11 users Like Mr. Boston's post
07-12-2017, 12:01 PM
(07-12-2017 11:53 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Al Franken has announced his impending resignation from the Senate in the next few weeks, because the many allegations against him.

What's frustrating about attempting to maintain any moral high ground is that it doesn't matter to the Republicans. This is not a winnable fight for Dems because the Republican morals and integirty are currently out the damn window. When it should show Reps that the Dems are consistent on this issue, and that people like Roy Moore do NOT belong in positions of power, it will not have that effect.

Reps will attack whether Franken resigns or not- because they refuse to be put in a defensive position, they simply attack and attack and attack no matter how many times their arguments are defeated or rebutted, they pivot and attack again. It's not a good-faith situation like the Dems want it to be, so, Franken resigning unfortunately will hurt the Dems pretty badly. It's pretty necessary that he does it, though. It's just certainly not going to win the Dems any points for moral consistency even if it should.
[+] 9 users Like Emma's post
07-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Sad to see him go. Especially knowing that Republicans will not miss a beat electing a more cringe-worthy offender. Is this yet another case of Democrats bringing knives to gun fights?

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
(07-12-2017 11:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  

I have always liked Franken, sorry to hear he did the things he did do.

It's interesting that most of the men who are accused are in a certain age group. Or maybe I have missed reports about younger ones?

I hear about younger ones telling female colleagues to clean up and such, but not the groping and kissing stuff. (Ugh, imagine being kissed by trump - yuck!)

It seems to me there are age-related attitudes towards women in the workplace and how they should be treated ... but it also seems to me that regardless of age, enough men are corrupted by the power they get.

Think about it -- Franken has been a champion of women's rights, including reproductive rights, and you'd think he would know better than to pull this crap. He's not a Neanderthal. What made him think his treatment of women was okay?

I partly agree with your point.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
Also ANY Republican politician calling for Franken to resign over these allegations, who has not also called for the president to do the same over HIS allegations (which are significantly more repugnant) is a hypocrite who should be completed ashamed.
[+] 10 users Like Mr. Boston's post
07-12-2017, 12:11 PM
He admitted he's wrong and he's doing the right thing now by resigning - granted, probably because of the pressure. I don't feel sorry for him. He's responsible for what he did. The sad thing is it seems that chances are pretty high that he'll be replaced by someone else who will mistreat women as well. Yeah, I'm cynical about all this now. It ticks me off how common this is turning out to be and I'm sure we've only scratched the surface. Dodgy

If a real god existed that interacted at all with humans, then there would be no need for faith. That simple fact should be enough to cause anyone at least doubts about the existence of a god.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
07-12-2017, 12:12 PM
(07-12-2017 12:01 PM)Emma Wrote:  

What's frustrating about attempting to maintain any moral high ground is that it doesn't matter to the Republicans. This is not a winnable fight for Dems because the Republican morals and integirty are currently out the damn window. When it should show Reps that the Dems are consistent on this issue, and that people like Roy Moore do NOT belong in positions of power, it will not have that effect.

Reps will attack whether Franken resigns or not- because they refuse to be put in a defensive position, they simply attack and attack and attack no matter how many times their arguments are defeated or rebutted, they pivot and attack again. It's not a good-faith situation like the Dems want it to be, so, Franken resigning unfortunately will hurt the Dems pretty badly. It's pretty necessary that he does it, though. It's just certainly not going to win the Dems any points for moral consistency even if it should.

Yeah, exactly. The Republicans will not resign over any allegations of this sort, because no matter what -- not even their own goddamned "values" they beat us over the head with and try to enshrine into law -- no matter those values, they've mostly fallen in behind Der Groppenfuhrer ... they're now supporting once more a man who Mitch McConnell himself said was facing solid and credible accusations of sexually abusing minors.

They sold their souls long ago, but I never expected them to flaunt it in such a blatant manner. They obviously value ideological conformity over simple human decency.

And no Republican will resign in shame if they're faced with similar allegations, because they've signalled that they don't care whether a leader is also a sexual predator. That means that in a battle of attrition, the Dems will probably lose.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post